Using last 3 fingers to generate shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quik_silver, Dec 6, 2008.

1. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Hi everyone,
    I was talking to my friend who's from HK about how they were training in HK. And he was telling me how his coach taught him using last three fingers counting from ( middle to - pinky ) to generate power and deception for his shots. Can anyone tell how to start of by practicing this technique for shots? (Sorry if this topic was discussed before hand, I couldnt find it through search).

I just want to start using this technique for my shots because my friend told me it'll be more efficient and less energy-consuming, since he noticed me using my forearm and wrist too much and told me it'll be very stressful for my shoulder.

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I've also seen my friends' coach from HK clearing full-court with just three fingers..

isn't this something similar to kwun's finger-power grip ?

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's finger power. hold the racquet into your palm between your thumb and index finger, and relax your last 3 fingers. so they are only partially curled into a fist. When you make a swing, tighten your grip. You can generate a lot of power like this. I can do it, but haven't really incorperated it into my regular technique. It saves loads of energy though.

4. quik_silver

Analyst
    is there any self-traning i can do to start off? i have been having trouble getting use to it

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I have this theory that certain types of people have relatively overdeveloped fine motor control skills and underdeveloped gross motor control skills. What this means is that in these individuals, there is so much attention paid to the articulations of the wrists and fingers that movement of the larger muscles, such as the legs, hips or trunk, is given inadequate attention.

What holding the grip by the last three fingers does is take out the action of the two fingers with the finest motor control. The bottom three fingers are not as articulate as the top two, so they function more as "slaves" to the grosser arm movements rather than trying to "lead" the entire movement. The result is that you reduce the interference from the overly dominant fine motor control system and you put more attention into gross motor control.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Using the last 3 fingers for forehand overhead shots and using the thumb and index finger for backhand shots are necessary for extra leverage. But to get this extra leverage the former must have the thumb and index finger open up in free space, and the latter the last three fingers open in free space, as you start the forward swing, before finally closing them at time of impact. The final "closing" of those 3 fingers and thumb/index finger gives you that extra leverage-very little movement but effortless power because of its speed.

7. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Wasnt there some sort of "reverse" finger power grip too? Where the pinky was holding the racket and the other fingers provide the power. I think I do it the "normal" way, but Ive seen somewhere in this forum that people get more power doing in the "reverse" way?

8. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i use this reverse finger tightening for my back hand clears.
    the one mentioned by the TC is ur usual tightening of finger at impact which surely if used the the right way with your wrist movements will give crispier shots and 'deceptive' clears will be possible where u pose as though doing a drop then u use your wrist and finger to generate the power(no arm power)

9. surge

surge Regular Member

think of it like using the brakes of a bicycle. you grip the handle with thumb and index finger and leave the 3 fingers hanging over the brakes, then squeezing the 3 fingers when you need to break.

the action is more like turning the door knob, instead of getting power by bending your wrist, rotate your wrist, you will notice your 3 fingers will automatically curl inwards. the same when you relax your hand and squeeze the muscles of your forehand.

if you hold the racket with thumb and index and lightly rest your fingers on the handle like the bike brake, you can generate quite a lot of power by squeezing your forearm muscle, except now you squeeze using your mind and rotating your wrist. the key is swing speed. the faster you can grip the more spd and power it generates.

the good thing about this it generates a lot of swing speed in a short distance and thus allowing you to clear easily. it also allows your lob to look like a drop since you can now swing like you wanna drop and only grip hard at the last instance to make a lob.

this is best combine with use of body weight when hitting long shorts. you cant lob all night with the 3 fingers unless you have forearm like arnold.

10. quik_silver

Analyst
    I tried to use the technique that my friend taught me, I am not sure is it just me... It's kind of painful using the bottom half of the half generate carry the moment, my hand got pretty sore from this. =P Should I simply do my Hand gripping exercise to improve the built of my hand?

11. surge

surge Regular Member

the 3 finger will help to generate power in addition to the swing you have with your body. it shouldnt be the primary source of power.

about e training, its the technique that will help. ( my friend who is skinny to the bones can lob easily using more fingers than arm. although a stronger forearm will definitely help. you need to grip fast as if your forearm muscle is twitching, creating a sudden force.

just my 2 cents worth.

12. vinjy

vinjy Regular Member

student
    I used 3 finger as u mention, that is when i am doing pushing(shuttle is infront of u), the thumb will be at the top of the grip, and the 3 finger will be bottom , relax ur finger , use the 3 finger as grip and press on the grip.

Different skills require different grip, example if you are doing smashing , u got to use wrist.

13. Cogarhen

Cogarhen Regular Member

I tried the 3 finger grip and found it very difficult for me to hold the racket stably before the "tightening" of the 3 fingers. I wasn't able to keep my thumb and index fingers at the positions as shown in the "relax forehand" grip figure
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grip-principles.php

Instead, my thumb and index finger need to curl around the grip (with my thumb slightly positioned higher than the index finger) to get a stable hold of the racket.
    Am I doing something wrong?