Proper Body movement for Jump Smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crimz, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hi I am a right handed player and my smashes seem to be rather weak for some reason i dont know why. I guess probably my technique is wrong? So anyway was thinking how the body movement should be. I've seen some players when they execute a jump smash they bend their knees and keep like legs up. How and when should be swing our body and then change the leg position e.g before you smash ur right leg is the back leg but after you smash u have to switch the right leg to be in front to you can run back to ur base position. Something like that?

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    work from normal smashes first. the jump smash is a highly complicated and difficult to time shot. if your normal smash is weak, there's no way you'll become magically proficient at jump smashing. jump smashing takes time and constant practice to perfect.

the power of your smash is determined by a few things.

1. technique: if your technique is wrong, you won't hear a crisp sound when you hit the shuttle. sound is a very useful and accurate way to tell if you're hitting it right and timing it well

2. strength: if your technique is good, your smash should be pretty decent. improving your strength will help you gain that extra sting in your smash.

3 equipment: frankly, this isn't worth too much mentioning because the benefits are little compared to good technique.

i'm not a good person to explain things, so videos will help more. there's a great youtube video by peter rasmussen (spelling?) which focuses on the jump smash.

otherwise, google Gollum's Badminton Bible, he's got a great site that fully explains overhead strokes

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks for the plug, but I have to be honest and say that my site does not yet have a dedicated technique guide to overhead strokes. ;)

It does cover the grips, however, so perhaps this page might be useful: Which grip for clears, smashes, and drops?

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    ohhhh, ok. oops :p

i'd still check it out. the guide to grips is very important because the grip is one of the most vital things to get right.

5. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
  6. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I tried it out during my badminton games today. My friend said that I wasnt using my body swinging action but I was just using my arm. So i decided to swing my body forward for my smashes and all i got was a backache-.- So i guess thats the wrong way? Its kinda annoying putting in every effort to smash and the shuttle just flies so slowly.

7. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    I think you should give Zhao Jianhua's instructional video on youtube a look. Episode 9, i think.

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    one of the most obvious ways to see if you have the correct technique is to be able to produce a fairly decent smash with NOT much effort. that's one of the most common mistakes that people make. they'll try really hard to hammer out a smash, and when it doesn't work, they'll try even harder. what happens is you lose your technique and end up in a slugging fest.

don't worry about the speed of the smash right now, worry about doing it right. listen to the shot. you should hear a crisp clean sound from square contact. that video is good for a jump smash, but not helpful for someone just learning the smash.

two videos on proper pronation techniques for over head shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXnSXTfteCM

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNU9Rn6vtg the second one is especially good.

body rotation adds a lot of power to your shot, but the base power is always from good pronation.

in fact, i'd advise you to lay off smashing, and practise clearing and dropping first. these are easier to play. once again, don't go for length on your clear or making the drop super tight. focus on the right movements.

here's a good video as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o598pfZL1pQ&feature=related

look between 0.17 and 0.24 mins. there are two or three examples of how to pronate your arm in an over head shot.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Frankly, I think the first two video examples of pronation can be improved for overhead strokes. Remember overhead shots must be taken at the highest point, not with a racquet/arm parallel to the floor.
    The third video example of the girl playing net jabs is actually a better illustration of using more wrist snap and the sudden acceleration of the forearm/wrist with limited backswing, in the overall interest of hitting the bird at the highest point.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is a much better illustration of a jump smash, for real power. A jump smash smash produces the greatest power of all smashes. It is no different from a soccer kick from a spot, in which a scissor kick, which puts the player in the air, will always produce a more powerful kick than from a stationery kick. That extra power comes from the jumping legs. So it is in the jump smash in badminton.

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I agree with taneepak about the power in the jump. I observed that my more powerful smashes usually down the trampline smashes where I had to jump a little to reach them in time. I also notice that I do not have to swing as hard to get the power but rather the entire body, hand and racket just mimic a whip action.

12. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Ok after today's game the coach told me that Im actually slicing the shuttle instead of smashing it straight. So the sound isnt the proper sound that we have heard so far. And yeah so mine isnt a smash but a super slice lolz. I was working on it all day long during training and after training but somehow i just cant seem to get it right. With the wrist and swinging action and everything. Though some smashes now has the crisp sound. I would say there is improvement but minimal.:crying:

13. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Stop crying like a little girl... :))

Go to the next court and try it again and again and AGAIN!

Perhaps you could upload a video of yourself doing the Smash?

14. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

trying again and again with the wrong technique will force the wrong technique down his memory so its useless.
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/
    do read and mimic the grips for smashes and clears exactly. in my own thread i realised my mistakes and even though the thread aint dead yet, my smashes,clears and drives are much better than before

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Simple way is just try to throw an object or a shuttle. Keep on doing it until you can throw some furthest. The correct way or method will come to you naturally. ie, your body, height of letting go and your landing legs. You see how a javellin thrower throws? Good thing doesn't come easy. Hard work pays off. Ie practice...3...;)

16. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Actually I asked this before. My main problem with JS is my timing. When do I jump relative to the overhead incoming shuttle. I seem to jump late because when the shuttle is near me, my body is still in the up motion while the bird is already droppping. And then I became too busy to quickly implement a lousy and weird looking JS.

17. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

try this

do u have the racquet cover head only?
    try smash with the cover head on ur racquet then u will notice it is quite hard. if u smash with slice it will be easy. tis way u can adjust ur racquet head when u smash

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Proper technique and timing are very important in a jump smash. It is no different to say a scissor-kick or a jumping header in soccer, a flying judo or karate kick. If your technique or timing are wrong or off you might even injure yourself. Despite my age I still jump smash from the backlines.

19. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Master the normal smash first. Try to concentrate on body rotation

Next, try the scissor jump. Not too high at first. Just to get then feeling of the rotation in the jump.

20. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hey thanks alot guys. What u say really helped alot. About the crisp sound, i adjust my racket around until i can hear the sound loud and sweet. But yeah i just adjust it slightly around the basic grip and yeah practice practice pratice. Im gonna do that for 3 weeks of my entire holiday =)