Lost my smash...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TNBRE, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Well, a few days ago, when I played with my newly restrung racket (BG-65 Ti at 24 lbs), I noticed my smashes went into the net more and more. I also started losing my smash with my older racket after this. I play everyday, and I usually smash in an acceptable manner (ie about 85-90% cleared the net), but now the percentage is going down even though I'm using the same timing and movements that I usually do (my form is pretty much right according to my friends). Can anyone give me any advice or redirect me to a thread where this has been discussed? ​

Thank you in advance! :)

2. itachi46

itachi46 Regular Member

im no pro by all means but how i adjust my smash is... use more shoulder rotation so that the shuttle doesnt hit the net.. if the shuttle is "floating" then add more wrist. maybe you could try that out another thing you can do is try smashing slowly (just to get your accuracy back) and slowly adding more power to it. i lost my smash after a restring and a grip change -.- took a few days to get it back hahaha!

3. tanta58

tanta58 Regular Member

LOL....i also hab the same problem after i change my grip into a thicker grip, i found out tat it can generate mre power but my smashes is most of the tym not deep even though i use mre wrist :confused: sme even end up in the net.....:crying: mayb i try smashing slowly (just to get your accuracy back) and slowly adding more power to it juz lyk wat itachi say

4. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a pro either xD... And I'm a leisure player. But, since I faced this problem earlier, and someone from my dad's club tell me this... Maybe this could be helpful.

"Your smash is aiming at the net, that's why they got into them too much. You should try aiming at your enemy's head. This could help, don't think it was bad, as long as you're not in front of the net, I presume they could've returned it."

Just... don't try this in a newbie xD... They're gonna got hit...

5. tanta58

tanta58 Regular Member

LOL...nice 1 :p:p:p

6. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone for all your advice! I'll try all your guy's tips when I get back on the courts (3 whole days... NO!!!!!!! :crying: ) The best thing I can probably do is try smashing slowly and aim at people's head (without injuring them). Thanks again for all the help! :)

7. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I'm not saying to go slow... If you believe your opponent is fast, it's gonna be good to aim their head, they're not gonna got hit. (In fact if they hit, the damage should've been minimum, and they're gonna lost a bit concentration :p)

If you know your opponent can't dodge it (this is tricky, you should judge your opponent speed for this), then don't even aim at their head! They will eventually lost confidence, concentration, and guts <--- they probably won't play badminton anymore xD...

Unless you want them to be like that, I'd suggest you not even aiming their head. Learn to imagine there's another people in the field and aim it.

Good Luck xD...