Is my backhand alright?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Stein_r, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
  2. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

way better than me..lol
    actually looks pretty good to me. the only thing i can see not going right is. when u do the backhand. u don't look comfortable may be more relaxed while hitting. the flick of your wrist looks good. nice play ..good luck for the future.

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    My only comment would be try to learn the footwork to get into the backhand corner and also try to take the shuttle a bit earlier

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i'll second that^^
    i think you should start at the middle and move towards the backhand corner as that'll be a more realistic situation. Don't let your backhand become your lazyhand:D

5. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Uh in the first video, is the shuttle going full court or is it just 3/4 court? Since the lines aren't clear and the angle is kinda weird, I'm not completely sure how far it's going. Do you have a side view? Also, your backhand you seem to have a long pre-hit phase, that is your preparation for the shot takes a bit longer.. I don't know about you, but in my games I try to keep my pre-hit phase as short as possible since my opponent won't be giving me free shots. Also, how do you feel about backhand clears from the backcourt when the shuttle is at your waist? I personally prefer the round the head clear to compensate for backhands, because after hitting the shuttle, I'm more read to head back towards the center, whereas with the backhand I'd have to turn around. I heard pros don't often use their backhand clears as good as they are, but you see them most often do dropshots or half-smashes from that backcourt area. But having a strong backhand feels good to use, haha.

6. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    1.your not in the back of your court

2.cant see how deep your shots are going.

So hard to tell. just wondering, do you prepare the same way for your drops and smashes too? its very distintive flourish you have, so if not, you opponent will me moving back and getting ready to smash before you even hit your shot.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not bad at all. As said above, work on timing the shuttle well (maybe a tad earlier) and getting in to good positions. How confident are you at using the backhand clear in a game situation?

8. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I could be doing it wrong, but when I take a backhand I usually take it much higher. You appear to take most of your shots at shoulder level, mine are well above my head. My racket head starts at my waist (rather than at my chest), and my elbow points nearly straight up. I extend my arm, and rotate my wrist. I don't know what the others mean about footwork, your racket foot is closest to the corner, which seems right to me...whatever you have to do to get a full-court clear is good enough for me!

9. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I agree with the shot analysis but the footwork should be like turn step and lunge... the racket prep should be higher too

10. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    After examining the first video in more detail, I agree with others who say that your footwork needs improvement. My biggest problem with it is that there are at two instances (0:43 and 1:10) where you turn a full 360 degrees after making a shot. This is - I've been taught - unacceptable, and should be avoided at all costs

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

A few things:

- first of all, check your grip, you need to turn it a bit more towards panhandle. What's happening is you're using too much of a forehand grip and that's causing your clears to travel towards the centre of the court. Turning your grip just a little bit towards panhandle will make your clears go down the line, making them a bit more difficult for your opponent to intercept.

- you're adding an extra movement just before you swing: while you start out in the correct position with your elbow up and out, you're pulling your elbow inwards until the racquet is vertical then back out into the correct position just before you swing. This extra movement doesn't really add any extra power or deception to your stroke. When you're under pressure, you won't have time to do this, so if you rely on doing that as a way to set up your position, you won't have it available and your stroke may suffer. It's probably best to eliminate this altogether.

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Whoops, I made a mistake, you actually need to turn it away from panhandle, and towards the backhand thumb grip to make the shot go down the line.

13. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    You can still use a panhandle for a back hand if the bird have alredy pass you. So stumblingfeet, it was not that big a mistake.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    As a visual reference, the corrections you need are in this video.
    The points in the video have already been set out in this thread.

Watch closely the position of the racquet foot at 0:28, 0:43 & 1:22.
    In your video, you are doing this wrong.

Also note the high contact point at 1:18 & 1:33.
    In your case, you are hitting the shuttle late.

As mojopin said, get rid of that elaborate pre-stroke racquet routine.
    It's unnecessary and will be your nemesis when the rally gets faster.

Have fun and play better :)

15. herovc

herovc Regular Member

16. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    HI

First remember their is high and low backhand with to different technics. High means a little above shoulder level, and low is close to shoulder level. The technique you use is mostly the high backhand.

First you need to train it when you are a little behind in the game, in this video you have to good time, so actually you could do a clear or round the head. Start in the diagonal corner and the footwork will be running or train it with netdrop and then backhand.

Your footwork is dangerous, as your racket foot land on the toes, remember heel first and then toes. Heel and contact with shuttle goes together.

Also work a little on your armswing, as mentioned preparing phase is odd, first you pull up your arm up high at shoulder level and then back, it looks kind of funny :) Just start with your elbow in front of your stomach.

From this angle and without slow it is difficult to see, where the racket ends after contact with shuttle...?

17. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    Thanks for all your TIPS, HINTS and the links for the Videos on Backhand technique, which i already known. As I've started learning the Backhand i mostly watch Taufik Hidayat, who is my favorite Badminton player. He is so perfect in doing the Backhand. When he ist doing the Backhand i recognize that he is mostly do it close to the shoulder level. I didn't know if it is common, but most of asian player, LIN DAN or LCW take their Backhand at this level. In contrary european player most take it a little above the shoulder. TH has a very big swing when Backhand which i think is the key to a far clear.

Greet

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

okay, for the LCW,TH,LD stuff:
    these guys are pretty much above us mortals, they have some bad habits that don't bother them, because they're quick enough to compensate.
    I'd say they're not exactly role-models for every shot they do.

Taufik's backhand is amazing, for sure, but he trains it a lot, and can hit consistently with a big swing.
    For us mortals, shorter swing mean more control. If you want to wip it hard and deep, and long swing might help, for controlled shots like dropshots, it's only more difficult.
    (and the problem here is: your opponent wil see what shot you can do if you prepare differently for different shots)

I think you hit it at the right height, but for the wrong reasons ;)
    TH, LCW, LD hit backhands at that height because they have to, if the shuttle is higher they do an around-the-head shot. You on the other hand, have all the time in the world in the drill, so that makes it look a bit different.

All the weird movement you do before you hit the shuttle looks a bit uncontrolled (like stumblingfeet pointed out).

I think that if you shorten your swing and lose the extra movement you have a very solid backhand :)

(and just on a practise note, I always find it easier to practise with a person hitting back straight. he stands on his forehand and can consistently hit the shuttle to where you want it. this way after 3-4 crossbackhands the shuttle goes way off track)

19. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
  20. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    your #2 and #4 are private..