Timing of Directional Split Step (DSS)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mikael, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    If you work with Directional Split Step, when do you then perform the split step (try to imagine a timeline)?:

-2) As the opponent is preparing for the backswing of the racket.

-1) Just sligthly before the opponent meet the shuttle with the rackethead.

0) At shuttles impact with the opponents rackethead.

1) Just slightly after the shuttle left the opponents rackethead.

2) When the opponent finished the full armswing.

3) When the shuttle is passing the net.

or

A) "It depends"!!!!

For -2) it will be all to soon, it will be wild guessing or lets call it a Gamling Split Step. If your gambling is correct you will be standing and waiting for the shuttle, but if it is wrong and the opponent change the direction within the last moment, you lost the game.

For -1), I would call this a Strong Anticipated Split Step. The dillemma is, that the higher level you play the more important speed and thereby anticipation is, but at the same time the better your opponent with deception.

Then for 0) I would be a Ligth Anticipated Split Step.

Option 1) is a little more secure, but the faster the game is, the slower you will be and your game can tend to be a little reactive.

2) Your game will be very reactive and you will tend to reach the shuttle to late.

3) You will be all to late and the opponent can fully control the game. Unless you and the opponent stand close to net and we talk about a straight netdrop (but in the game you don't know that, rigth), but then you don't really need a split step.

You could then argue for A), that it depends on where you and your opponent is on the court... Or maybee the level and type of you and your opponent, or maybee something else - Did I forgot something?

2. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Do you mean DSS in opposite to Non (or neutral) Directional Split Step?!?

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Yes! Well I have only learned it with direction, but I have heard about a general split step, which is the same no matter what direction you go to. Of course such a split step can be done before you know where to go!

4. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    So when you always do it with direction you will be in trouble very often if you do it before you see where the shuttle will fly to...

Why don't you have the option "as soon as you see in which corner the opponents hits the shuttle"... Which depends on how fast you can see/read his shots. Sometimes it will be your 1), sometimes your 2) and sometimes your 3)

I would say:

Split step with no direction when the opponent hits the shuttle AND he is in a good attacking position. So you can cover the smash to the left and reight side best, because this shot will come very fast.

If your opponent is under pressure and has less options, then you would do it with direction.

5. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I generaly try to time it to land just as the shuttle is struck, so i could adjust the direction if needs be, then again there are times I tend to go towards the wrong direction and make a fool out of myself.

6. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Split step is one of the most undervalued techniques in badminton...

-5,-4,-3,-2 you are moving slightly your feet to kill inertia

THEN -1 ALWAYS do your split step. This way, you land on the floor when the shuttle is hit.

If done correctly, when you will push back with your feets from the ground the shuttle will have already gone in a direction (i.e. left drop, right drop, right smash, middle clear, etc.) You will then move your hip followef by your legs in the desired direction.

Only problem is badminton is tricky. If the opponent does a hold then wham your're late. You have to do a second, or third split step but really really quick.

A perfect example of great split steps is tennis (since I'm now cross training 4 racket sports in racketlon) when the opponent does a serve. Great way to see perfect timing since there is no hold.

Hope this answers your question mate!

edit: btw, 0 would be a late anticipation shot. Try -1 with a very light. you shhould also know what the width of the legs should be when split stepping.

#6 RacketlonCanada, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. Jyaki

Jyaki Regular Member

Student
    I've always landed the instance the shuttle has been struck.

8. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Please don't forget to make a difference between directional split step (what Mikael is talking about) and neutral split step...

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Obviously, -1, 0 and +1 are proper timings while the others are what happen when you mistime the split step. As for which number you should use, it depends on how quickly you recognize where the next shot is going. You really have to go by instinct on this one, it's not really something that a coach can teach you explicitly.

One related skill is the ability of your hip extensors/flexors to control when your feet hit the ground after you've already hopped into the air. If you recognize the shot early, you can slightly extend your hip and knees to hit the ground a bit earlier, but if your opponent is holding the shot, you can pull them slightly away from the ground to buy yourself a bit of time before you move. Again, this is something you have to learn by doing, not by being told.

10. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Yes, you really have to adapt the timing to each opponent...

Against some oppentents use -1, against others perhaps 0

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Because "as soon as you see.." is not precise enough for me :), I want players to think and discuss when that is!

Also, good point about the fact that it can vary according to the game and your opponents abilities. The answer would then be "A) it depends"..., but what are the dependencies then?

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Exactly, that is why -2, -1 and 0 is called "Anticipated..."!