Help on smashing (iM A NOOB

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lilorio, Apr 3, 2009.

1. lilorio

lilorio New Member

I want to know how to smash cause i see all my friends do it constantly and when ever I either miss or it just goes far. I'm not looking for anything fancy like a jump smash just a regular one. I'm a begginer so i need to know the terms follow through and stuff :p

2. lilorio

lilorio New Member

Oh yeah i dont hit tht hard so if i do the proper technique for a smash but not hit really hard will it still go down fast btw im facing 13-14 year olds. i just want it fast enough so they can't return it. BTW THERE ALSO NOOBS

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    How many times have I had to say this to beginners? Not too much on here but it's far too common in the real world, especially amongst younger players. It's not how hard you hit it, it's where you put it.

As much as it's awesome to have a floor bending smash, it's not necessary. If I was playing you, I doubt I'd need to smash my fastest, a smash at about 3/4 of my normal pace but with plenty of angle and a long way away from you. This is the mantra you should follow, I don't care if you can smash faster than Fu Haifeng, if it's straight at your opponent, they'll simply nudge it back.

Work on good timing and form (ask a coach or look for Youtube videos etc) and speed will come naturally later, despite not ever being as important as placement.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  5. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

6. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    just maybe the right way to smash

well smash is just involve in hitting downward. which mean either using ur shoulder or wrist. Or heck use both. But of course in badminton we all know that wrist is the main point where we always use, smash, backhand, shoo almost everything.
    but yea i THINK (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) if you want to improve your smash, you should start try to get the feel of your wrist, ESPECIALLY the contact point of the racquet face and the bird. So just start practice with hitting the bird down by using your wrist only. It doesn't need to go strong. just at a decent speed. Then built it up with accuracy first, because place the bird is more better than hitting the bird fast without knowing where it goes. after you able to control your smash then try to use your shoulder and body momentum to increase the speed and of course again control the bird even if you hitting it hard.

please correct me if i'm wrong thank you

7. lilorio

lilorio New Member

When I'm the correct position, do I have to just swing my arm straight or rotate it?

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

watch the shuttle nicely and aim where u wanna put it and just hit it..;)
    just practise this always since you are a beginner as u claimed.

9. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    ?

You make a very big mistake

1)you need train for your wrist and arm strenght
    2)you cant say that 13-14 years old people is a noob .. know what there are 7 years old kid can play properly ... so you are definitely wrong ... even my friend from that age is already a pro
    3)"BTW THERE ALSO NOOBS"if you watch lin dan playing in swiss open .. and that time he didnt play in his attacktive form .. you want to say he is noob?damn wrong ... all lin dan's fan will kill you if you say he's a noob

Just want to correct you .. and for the smash basic just follow some other post ... They already told you

10. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Best thing to do - Watch how the more advanced players in your club smash. Observe and picture their motion just like a multishot camera. Remember the movements and experiment out. I find it more useful that way. It's more fun trying out yourself.

11. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

12. Amin Khalili

Student
    I like the way that taufikh hidayat smash

13. lilorio

lilorio New Member

If im facing other beginners that had only played badminton for 2 weeks, should i smash alot? what should i do to beat them

14. Amin Khalili

Student
    Here some tips
    1)anylize how they play
    2)when you think it already enough ... then decide
    3)if you in tournament ... better bully noob player when your point is higher enough
    4)if friendly match and you saw some girl watching you playing with noob .. then make a rally match .. make sure your style look better then your opponent(and your face look handsome that time) ... haha kidding

Anyway ... hope you can have a wonderful match

Remember ... Win or lose isnt important .. the most important thing is make your self better and have a wonderful match

15. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    to answer lilorio question

if you dont really know how to smash properly, start out with the practice smash by wrist only, which mean dont swing your racquet all the way down. Instead we always swing it from top right (if u're right handed) to the left knees, or close around there. you should practice to make your racquet stop above the shoulder. which mean dont let the racquet face goes pass the shoulder. This exercise really help you gain your accuracy. And dont say that won't make a hard smash, it does too. And this is the way you should play agaisnt beginners. Well for me with that kind of a smash a beginners can't return it. 2 reasons, i aim away from them, close to side line, and the speed is decent so itz hard for the beginners to return the smash. Overall, just snap your wrist then let it follow through just alittle and stop, dont let the racquet face pass your shoulder, if it does alittle it still fine, as long as not too low. Then again once you get all the angle and the accuracy up, start combine the shoulder strength to increase the smash.

16. lilorio

lilorio New Member

How come sometimes I miss smashes often?

17. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

possibly you use your wrist instead of arm?

18. Amin Khalili

Student
    you miss ha?easy easy ..
    just you practise aiming/shoothing the birdie ...
    i often do this in my home with my bro

19. Amin Khalili

Student
    he make a good deal ... wrist training first ..
    (cheap way)try to move your wrist for every 5 minute ... when you often do this .. move it until you feel numb
    (expen)just got some item for your wrist training or just go to gym

20. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    it's about timing, i dont know about how to improve that skills. I suppose it is call eyes and hand coordination. there might have some factors that you can miss the bird. The light might be in your eyes, which is the most often things that most players gets, the light is irritate their eyes. Well other than that i dont know. Because everything else just depend on your timing. Obviously you just have to look at the bird and smash it down. So there is no other reason to make you miss the shots other than you. And if you want to ask me how to improve your eyes and hand coordination? i dont know. I really dont know, I guess practice practice and practice, until you can able to get the feel of the bird speed. And to deathsticks, there is no such thing because of using the wrist makes you miss the bird. Yea sure a person need An ARM to hold a racquet and smash the bird. Technically, that is so true, but using the wrist only means the wrist power. Lets just make this theory a long paragraph.
    The motion for smashing you need wrist to be bend, elbow, and shoulder. So all those things going to be bend when you do a smash, which is pretty much a motion you hold a stick and wack something or someone. so that's kinda same theory for smashing the bird. i mean sure you can smash the bird downward just using the shoulder rotation, without bending ur wrist or elbow (you should try sometime and see how it feel) but that wont be accurate and strong. Because our wrist able to create the reaction the quickest out of all the parts. And we call that leverage (i hope i spell that word right) power. So without using other part you should still able to hit it hard, and accurate, because it doesn't take that much of motion to control your wrist.
    Here lets practice same motion, go up near the net and let your partner lift it up 2 feet above the net, and all you have to do is hit it down by using your wrist motion. AND YESSSSS, if your elbow bent alittle and should sureeee, why not because its the leverage movement, it's all connected, but what i meant is using the wrist power only, i dont know what the part of that muscle called, but itz the part that from the wrist to the elbow. THAT muscle right there is all you needed.
    and so if you able to hit the bird down 2 feet above from the net then you should do the same thing when you're back in the middle of the court. Because the contact point of the racquet and the bird should be the same, just that the angle is a lil different that is why your eyes and hand coordination is matter. So if you keep missing the smash, which mean, sorry but, your eyes and hand coordination is not that great.
    Oh i just remember, if u're a new players, that who just hit around clearing back and forth, heres the tip
    RELAX, dont call flex up for nothing, just use the muscle that i told you. Cuz i've seen some ppl flex all up for nothing, that doesn't help hitting it hard. it just ruining your aiming. Anyway i guess thatz all i can say. If you still dont get it practice practice and practice. if you still at the same lvl try to ask some1 for advice how to hold the racquet and hit the bird. And sure email me when you still can't get improve i'll try my best to help you. umm email is, gamepurpose82@yahoo.com
    yeaaaa i know what you guys thinking "wow you must have alot of free time!" and yea i am i just got laid off, so i'm just doing nothing everyday, go to skewl play badminton 1 day a week to get my lust of badminton cool down. Cuz damn i love badminton but i dont have the money for it. Sure cost alot.
    anyway bb have fun and good luck