Tensed while playing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by uttam, May 9, 2009.

1. uttam

uttam New Member

Hi guys,

I have a problem I think many here face. Most of the times, I play tensed, especially playing opponents better than I am, or about the same. I need to relax more while playing, but how do I do that? I've noticed when I play relaxed, I'm able to anticipate returns and execute my strokes much, much better. I have a club level tournament today.

-TIA,
    Uttam

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Playing while being tense isn't a good thing. You just have to find out what works for you , I take deep breaths before getting on court in tournaments - it just relaxes me.

But even internationaly players like Taufik still say that he is nervous when playing his tournaments.

I think the best way to relax is have a routine and do that every time you play a tournament. :D.

3. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    After each play, I take about 3-5 seconds to think about what I did and breathe. It controls me and relaxes me. I end up playing much smarter when I think while being relaxed, especially in singles.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm that is a nice idea , evaluate your previous point after it :D. Then you can devlop your strategy throughout the game.

I will try this out :D

5. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I think being a little tense is good. Makes u stay on alert. That's why I feel like i play a bit better when playing with a new group...dun want to disappoint my partner (i play doubles).

But not too much...and no negativity. Just don't let the pressure get the best of you.

How u feel when u play is extremely important IMHO. I feel that is the main thing that determines players of the the same level (i.e. Lin Dan & LCW). Physically I think there's not much more they can do to improve. But psychologically, that they key determining factor in a game.

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Having the psychological edge changes the games a lot but I think it's better to be relaxed. No pressure, no worries, no people. Just don't mind anything and you'll do fine I guess is what I'm trying to say.

7. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I think doubles and singles players have a very different psychology.
    Doubles seems more tense in the tournament. Singles seems more relaxed. Perhaps its the pace of the game...

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Don't worry, even professional players do get tensed up. It's normal. Just have to strategize your next game. ;)

9. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

yea i do when i play and the score is almost tied and is at the end i get real tensed

10. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

I think getting in a few decent opening shots will go a long way in helping you relax. The first few minutes try to keep it simple and stick to what you know ur good at. Once ur movements and shots start getting fluid you'll be much more relaxed and confident and u'll play a lot better.

Hope this helps...

11. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    At the beginning of the match, even when I have a good shot like smashing, I won't take it if my opponent has even the slightest chance of blocking it. I like to take it easy at the beginning and kill when it's absolutely clear. This leaves me knowing that my enemy has to run around while I can set up for myself (in singles).