High Tensions For Training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by krisss, May 9, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi,

I have a training racket which is about 130-140grams.

But I got another idea - what if I made it to 30lbs+?

Crazy you say?
    My reasons:

A higher tension requires a higher racket speed to increase power , so eventually I would increase my racket speed to adjust to it?

Also a higher tension causes the sweet spot to become smaller , so this would be harder - but wouldn't it help develop my power?

Just wanted to run the idea through the forums?

Now critisise away :D

2. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    It's totally preference but I have a 127 gram racket and I have it at 25. I could go higher but that's the way I want my other rackets so it'd be quite pointless. But really, I barely train with that racket anymore. High tension doesn't necessary mean the sweet spot decreases in size but rather.. well. I don't know exactly what it does, I just know how it feels. :p

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I think a high tension does decrease the sweet spot? :S

4. zard.

zard. Regular Member

But if one executes the shot using the correct movement, one simply doesn't need to be powerful in order to produce a very powerful shot!

When I first began to play, even I exercted a lot of force(actually the force of my whole body), I couldn't produce a powerful shot.

Than after many years, I started to learn from a coach. With the correct swing, I simply need to use a little bit of force to produce an extremely powerful shot.

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I agree with you that technique is very important , but after you have mastered technique their are other factors which effect power?

This racket would slow my shots down , causing me to work harder? Thus improving me?

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Why not? You might as well because it's probably more durable than a regular racquet and you can see if you like it.

7. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Athelete1234, did you mean a higher tension of the racquet will makes your racquet more durable?
    I wouldn't say that. Because I broke my racquet at 30 or 31 lbs. Just too easy to break it.
    And to answer from the original. FROM my opinion only, please correct me if i'm wrong.
    It is good to TRY, or TEST out the new tension. Just to see which one is going to best fit for yourself. Then after all the test, you should just stick to the tension that best fit for you. But don't go back to a different tension.
    I said this because, from what I read is sound like you just want that tension on your TRAINING racquet not your actually game racquet.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Nono, I meant that a training racquet, having more mass, will be more durable than a regular racquet and can probably hold tighter tensions, so you can test it out without worries of damage.

9. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Having a higher tension will force you to have better timing and hit the sweet spot more often if you wish to have a beautiful hit. Perfect for training i think.

*Note: When you switch to lower tension, you better watch your power output lol. BOOM!

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Hi Kriss!

My answer to your question would be that the tension for your training racket isn't very important..And I see no need to go high-tension.

The idea for most players to go high-tension is for better control and power. When I "train" with a heavy racket I usually train Strength. If you want to train precicion shots and teqnique I think it is better to use a normal racket.

I don't see a big point on perfecting the timing and hitting the sweetspot with a racket tat have a totally different swing speed than the normal racket used..

I would not really recommend the training racket to be used for match-play, but rather for multishullte drills or shadowing to strenghten muscles and increase endurance of the muscles..

I would not aim for precision and "perfect" timing, hiitting the sweetspot etc using training racket or squash racket etc.. And I do not want to restring the training racket to often so BG65 or something durebale att low tension makes perfekt sense to me at least.

On the other hand, if you like it and feel it is worth the extra cost of more frequent string breakage, I do not see any problem at all to go high-tension, if it feels good to you :)

my 2 cents.

/Twobeer

#10 twobeer, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  11. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Thankyou twobeer - So far I have kept the tension "normal".

Maybe I should try it just to see :eek:?

Hmm , If I ever do - I will post back :) and explain my diffciculties with it!:cool:

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Cool :)

cheers,
    T

13. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Hi yall,

I forgot to reply to Kriss' post.

Anyways. I agree that string tension is not very important with the training racket... but its the opposite with your usual racket. To train your technique and your precision, you need to train with the same tension every time. However, you will a to change to a tighter tension someday as your strength increases and as your technique (timing is included in technique as well as in precision) gets better, because you'll need more control. With the increase in string tension, it will be more difficult to execute powerful shots since it takes more strength to cause a deformation in the strings (in order for the shuttle to rebound with force). This is where good timing and hitting the sweet spot is important as well as having a good movement execution : those elements will enable you to make good use of your strength, optimizing your hitting power. In addition, tighter strings gives more power potential (the strings reshape themselves faster, propelling the shuttle faster than lower string tensions can); you can take advantage of that if you can hit the shuttle with enough strength to cause the necessary deformation in the racket strings.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Aren't you worried abot a greater chance of injuring your arm/shoulder/elbow if you go high-tension at that weight? :eek:

15. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    heavy racquets are strictly for strength training, it won't help your precision because the swing timing is different to your normal racquet. Making the sweet spot smaller won't train you for accuracy. Playing more with your regular racquet will :D

16. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

No high tension with training racket. Only do it with playing racket.

Heavy racket:
    - pros: you feel the weight; helps with coordination and strenght increase
    - cons: you have to readjust to play well with usual racket (strenght and timing adjustment + change of game pace)

#16 Big L4, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010