countering smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by master_taz101, May 17, 2009.

1. master_taz101

master_taz101 Regular Member

I'm having a difficulty in countering my opponent's smash.........please give me some advice or tips on how to perform a better and more efficient counter smash.

bcoz i really really am having a hard time dealing with these smashes.

tnx a lot

more power!

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

How are you having a hard time with smashes? Too fast? Angle too steep? Or just well placed? Is this singles or doubles? We need more information here.

3. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    You mean counter measures to smashes? You can do a flick to the back court of front court, or, if you can time it right, you can block the smash right near the front of the net. I'm not all that good at explaining....haha...

4. master_taz101

both in singles and doubles........what i mean is that when someone smashes i'm having a hard time to counter it. i can't swing back or clear back so my oppenent ends up getting the score

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

So it's too fast for you to make a proper swing or your having problems lifting it. You can either practice with someone who smashes as fast or faster and just lift everything or you can just stop lifting altogether. Just block the smashes so they just drop over the net, also make sure your shot doesn't go too high above the net or you'll be in trouble. You can also drive smashes back either full or mid court. Don't forget to watch your placement of these shots.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Firstly learn to block the smashes straight. This is the most consistant way to defend against anytype of smashes. If they smash to your forehand just a straight block so it plops over the net. If its backhand the same thing, a nice little block straight down your backhand side just over the net. Learn to do this before anything else.

THIS WILL HELP WITH
    Timing ~ Getting your racket to the shuttle in time to open up opportunitys.
    Bringing your opponent forward which in turn opens up the back of the court.
    Keeping the pace of the game to a consistant steady level. A nice slow block forces the rally to slow down to your speed.

Once you have mastered this technique and can consistantly retrieve almost any level of smashes straight, its now time to slightly change things.
    One of the most successful winners of singles off a smash is the defensive crosscourt block. (LCW is superb at this stroke)
    It all comes down to the exact same setup as straight blocks. The only difference is a tiny flick of your wrist in the direction which you want the shuttle to move. The only way to learn this is practice over and over and over.

THIS HELPS WITH
    Forcing your opponent quickly around the court.
    Speeding up the pace of the rally to put your opponent under pressure.
    etc etc

Lastly is lifting. i cannot stress enough the importance of not swinging when trying to lift off a smash. It will give you nothing but halfcourt lifts. (thats if your lucky to get it over)
    Its all about the wrist once again. A quick firm flick will not easily push the shuttle nice and high. again it takes practice and changing direction should only be learnt after mastering the straight lift. To be consistant you want this to land in the back 25% of the court.

Watch some videos of the professionals and see how they do it. Find a sparring partner and practice over and over and over.

Goodluck.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Bend your knees, dont' stand up straight, it will prepare you mentally and physically to react quickly.

9. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Smash defense

FYI. See Gollum's Badmintonbible.

http://www.badmintonbible.com/artic...the-right-shots/choosing-defensive-angles.php

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/which-grip/smash-defence.php

Personnally, I prefer the forehand/crouch defense as it allows quick drive counterattack and strength to lift all the way to backcourt or if I am using a headheavy racquet.

My personal favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKVPgwdTnS0

But as Gollum mentioned it's better to be equally good in backhand and forehand.

10. master_taz101

tnx a lot guys.........i really appreciate it! :)