Preventing Wrist Injuries

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chia, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Is their a band or something that goes around your wrist to prevent injurys, like tennis elbow. My coach told me about it, but i am not sure were to get it? what does it look like?

Thanks

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I thought those bands were just for soaking up sweat:confused:

Well i wear a watch around my racquet wrist so that when I smash, the end of the handle doesn't go into my wrists. I like to hold my racquet way-high on the handle so I end up bruising my wrists all the time :eek: . I don't think you have the same problem though?

3. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    You shouldn't be brusing your wrist, unless your technique is wrong. Maybe your grip?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definately agree with that point about wearing the watch. It shouldn't be need to prevent injuries.

For Chia, there is a wrist strapping that can wound around the wrist. I used to have one myself. It does restrict movement though.

I didn't use it to prevent injuries. I used it because I had an injury. It used to really hurt doing backhands.

An orthopaedic doctor thought it was probably a ligament problem and suggested to rest and then go and have an operation. Hmm, that scared me so I continued playing (!) but less intensely, then stopped for a 2-3 weeks (after it really hurt), and came back gradually.

No problems since then and that was >3 years ago.

5. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    I think I would luv to get one of those bands to secure my wrist since I bending too much of my wrist lately and it become a problem to me. Its like most people can bend over their wrist to 90 degree angle but you will feel a force coming from the back of your wrist and pressurelized your inner wrist to be tighten up so much thus create the pain. I believe those bands can at least limited my bending angle incase I am over bending my wrist.

6. bigredlemon

yea i know its grip. I hold it high on the handle so there's about 4 inches of handle that comes out of my hand. When i do a smash, I bend my wrist a little too much sometimes and the handle whacks my wrist! I'm trying to change my grip to something lower now, bit i'm too used to the high-grip.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I do wear a band all the time, but I don't know whether it going to prevent wrist injury or notm, but it DOES give me a "tight" feeling on my wrist, helping me to have better control. I am not really sure if this is right, maybe it just my style, and make me feel more confident.

I think the way I hope my racket is different. I hold the very bottom of the handle, and I think it make me be more effective on my drops.

8. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    For joints and bones, somebody recommends me "Glucosamine Sulfate" capsule.

Does anybody heard about or have experience with this medication?

If you do: how effective it is to cure the pain of the joins? are there any side effects because you have to take this capsule three times a day, and each after meal? (each capsule is 500mg). This "GS" is available for sale on the shelves of any drug store here.

I have not had a chance to ask my family doctor yet.

Thank you for your feedback.

9. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Are you talking about a wrist brace? Yea I have one... got mine back last september when I sprained my wrist during Vball tryout... I rarely use it now since my wrist is way stronger now compared to before... but it's pretty useful................. THere are different types of wrist brace... but you should get the type for sport where it does not restrict any wrist movement. The one I have is under the brand "TENSOR" .... and I got it at the drug store.... (shopper's drug mart if theres one around you.) The one I have is only for use during sports.. it is recommended that you get their non-sport one to wear when you're not doing sports if you have an injury. Mine is made from some kinda material that keeps the wrist warm and it's tight enough... .. but it gets nasty and sweaty... thats another reason why you should wear this only for sports.. .... better if you put on a sweat band too.. Doesn't cost too much...

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    when i had some knee and shoulder damage, i started taking glucosamine sulphate to help reduce the problem. glucosamine has been found to studies to help re-growth of cartilage, and also helps against arthritis and joint pains.

i have been taking this for the past 4 years. the only problem i will have a problem on occasions is from playing on a concrete surface, and my knees will swell up from the pounding, but not from cartilage damage.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suspect you have two problems besides holding the handle too high:
    1) you are using the panhandle grip to smash
    2) you are flexing the wrist to smash (use the search function for' wrist pronation')

12. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Thanks guys for your replys

13. bigredlemon

Thx for the tip... i used the search and found some videos on how to do a smash. I think my coach gave me bad advice... and by coach i mean friend... damn... should have gotten a coach:eek:

14. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thank you Badrad for your valuable information. London Drugs and Save-On are having sales on this "GS" this week. I will buy one to try.

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    doesn't work overnight....

marky: just a note for you that GS isn't an over-night wonder drug. for it's effects to start it takes over 4-6 weeks, and sometimes it's not really noticeable until you realize that you played an extra game or two without any discomfort or pain.

for me, i was taking it fairly consistent at the beginning, but sometimes forget once in a while. currently i take one tablet every day (instead of the three x a day).

i did not just take the GS alone. i also started my own rehab program - every morning and evening did stretching and loosening, rotating all the joints. not long typically only about 5 minutes, but just long enough to relax. also worked on my knees and legs for strengthening.

#15 badrad, Oct 6, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2002
  16. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thank you Badrad again. I totally aware “GS” is only a supplement. As a matter of fact my physiotherapy has stressed the importance of work-out couple with ice-treatment. Thus, I have my own work-out program too, from head to toe, in the morning and the evening.

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    There are assortment of wrist brace that you can get that protects your wrist from over-extending, re-injure old injuries, etc. They can be bought at any local pharmacy or sports good store. There are also people who use racquet ball or squash gloves while playing badminton, I guess those have some minor wrist support as well.

18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Your racket doesn't hit your wrist because you use a high grip, but because you hold it wrong. The butt of the grip should protrude more at right angles to your arm, not parallel. You will find a correct grip will give the ability to rotate the forearm and greatly increase power.

19. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    I've heard about wrist guard anyway, they said that it prevents wrist injury. Maybe you should try it.