a drop shot better players used against me

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

A B level player once did a certain drop shot to me, and I thought it was a cool shot but never thought more after. It wasn't until a national player from another country did this to me that I thought, is this a top a shot that most top players always do or is it just their style?

When doing this shot, the player was already early at the net. He had the option to do a tight net drop. Instead of doing a tight net drop or offensive clearing it, he brought the racket down (not back, but more downwards). The racket is below the net at this point, and he does a tight net drop. From my view, it seems very apparent that the intention from pulling down was to clear. This makes me hesitate in anticipating. If I were to move up for the drop, he would actually clear the shot. It doesn't finish the point, but it makes me slower and gives him control of the rally.

Hopefully I described it correctly, but does this kind of shot give you an advantage? Provided, both players are a lot better than me, so I also figured it could be a shot that they like to use against weaker people. But I've also seen them use this shot against people on par with them. Any comments?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, this is pretty standard. He's using a slight delay to upset your movement rhythm, and to have a chance at deceiving you outright.

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i had this fake me many times playing against this guy, and we were playing doubles! lol
    basically it's similar to what you have described, the shuttle is dropped to the otherside, and he (or his racquet) is already there and early, i thought he's going to do a tight net shot, so I charge forward, and he delays the the return by dropping his racquet a split second and as I move forward he does a flat clear and the shuttle goes behind me; if I don't charge, he simply does a tight net and we are put very defensively.

but playing against him more I found that 1) don't do those drop shots if you're out of position because that gives him the upper hand right away; 2) when you see him there at net, don't move up automatically expecting a net shot. stay on your toes, lean forward, expect a net but be prepared for a clear. if he drops, leaning forward will help you move up quicker; if he delays, you're still prepared, and usually the lower he delays, the harder the netshot will be.

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I think you need to back-track for a moment...

... go back to "why you made a drop-shot and your opponent was already there at the net" with a deceptive straight net-return with the option to flick a clear (or even cross court net shot). :eek:

It sounds like your opponent was already gaining the upper-hand in the rally and you were forced to do a weak drop from the back of the court.

Cheers.

5. Big SmAsh

Big SmAsh Regular Member

This is really off topic but i cant find it anywhere.. How the heck do you make your own thread:confused: i've been looking for it for about a week and i cant find it anywhere. i know this isn't the best place to put it but i would really appreciate it if some1 would answer this:D

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Easy my friend, go into a forum such as techniques/training and at top left of page above the threads, stickys and above announcements is a new thread button. Click on that :D

Hope this helps big Smash

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Very commonly used in singles , although it is used in doubles.

It just trys to trick the opponent. The deception if pulled off correctly , will either result in you winning the point , or them playing a weak shot back that you can finish off.

It is a common technique.

8. Big SmAsh

Big SmAsh Regular Member

Alright thanks alot:D:D:D