How do I train a backhand clear from the back corner?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TNBRE, Aug 21, 2009.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    (If this was already posted somewhere, please give me the link. Thank you!)

I don't normally move fast enough to get birdies to the backhand corner. My already-pitiful backhand is pushed even more when the opponent hits an attacking clear to that corner. I am forced to lift to get it over. Is there a way to do this lift from backcourt to backcourt? If so, how should I practice it? Any and all constructive criticism appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

this vid helps a lot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9B2XtqICFw

personally I think the kep factor in hitting a good backhand clear is making the contact at a high point. if the birdie has already dropped bellow your head level, your clear effectiveness will be compramised.

3. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

I don't like how they practice on the video. They practice backhand shots while being on time. That's kind of stupid and only gets you sloppy in real-game situations. Of course, you always need a little time to improve technique by practicing slowly and in control like that, but overhead-backhand shots are meant to be done when you don't have the time to hit with a normal overhead shot so on-court practice should quickly move on to more "stressed" routines. You can always practice against the wall to concentrate on the technique.
    Also, it might be a footwork problem since you say you don't have time to get to the corner. Perhaps a lack of strength in one of your legs? A lack of "preliminary jump-step"?
    Backhands are somewhat difficult to master and you should give yourself time for achieving that kind of mastery. In the meanwhile, you can practice several backhand drop shots that could give you a temporary backup plan in single matches. Plus, when you'll finally have the power to clear it back-line to back-line, your adversaries will have to fear many more shots (All hail incertitude!).

If only we could all be like Taufik Hidayat and jump-smash from the backhand at 200 kmh or "standing-smash" it at 270 kmh (He did it once against Kenneth Jonassen. The Dane didn't even move, lol!)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    corrected thread title from "lift" to "clear".

5. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

lol well done kwun.

6. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

i think when the OP refers to "lift" he means "underarm clear", which is of course still a very tough (but useful) shot to get oneself out of trouble.

i too find this quite a tough shot at times, in terms of getting sufficient distance AND height. however, i do find hitting the sweetspot and getting good pronation with a bent elbow helps alot!

#6 badders2006, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Two things that have helped me (though I'm far from an expert) :
    Strengthen your wrist - I practised for a while using a tennis racquet, which really increased my backhand power
    Get the grip right - if you have your grip so that your thumb is on the wide bevel (the "thumb grip") then your backhand may be quite punchy, but you are only able to swing the racket until it is in line with your arm. This limits the angle of your return. However, if you use the "bevel grip", where your thumb moves one bevel upwards on the handle, your swing angle is increased by nearly 90 degrees !

I took some photos to illustrate the point. I'm sure someone will point out that some or other part of my technique is horribly wrong, but I hope you get the idea anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    ehh? bevel grip for a back hand clear? I find it lacks power. Only good for back hand drops. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Strengthen the back hand by using a squash racket.

Practice backhand clears against the wall.

9. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    if on time, you can use a standard grip, as you do for forehand shots. I usually lower the index finger a little to get more power.

if late, flatten it out more to panhandle. I cant actually play late clears though, so i just drop. :(

10. Wilson Shuttler

Wilson Shuttler Regular Member

n/a
    i usually compensate around the heads, but sometimes, i hold the shot and/or drop it

11. Cogarhen

Cogarhen Regular Member

Maybe it all depends on the player.

Bevel grip actually works best for me when I am late for a back hand shot; no problem to clear or drop.

A normal thumb-on-the-flat back hand grip is fine for me when I am hiting the shuttle on my side. But when the shuttle has already passed behind my body, I just need that extra wrist angle to produce the power. :)

Just me two cents...:eek:

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you're using a full thumb grip (thumb fully "behind" the racket handle), your arm rotation is very limited -- and therefore your power too. The thumb grip also angles the racket out to the side, so the shuttle will tend to go out (progressive grip adjustments towards panhandle are necessary to save yourself from hitting the shuttle out). The bevel grip solves both these problems.

A thumb grip is a bad option for hitting backhands in the rearcourt. It's good for when the shuttle is in front of you, however.

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I can clear backhand no probs when I can position myself good enough, hit shuttle slightly infront of me but I still ave probs clearin when shuttle is behind me even with a changed grip, thumb on side of grip. Is this right, you said to not use thumb grip when shuttle is behind you?:confused::confused::confused:

Can you explain further gollum

14. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I feel that the bevel grip really helps , makes backhands a lot easier. At first it is difficult but once you get used to it , really makes a big difference!

( By the way , Gollum did you get my PM?:eek:)

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If the shuttle is still in front of you, then you can usually play a round-the-head forehand instead -- so one has to question the usefulness of playing a backhand here. ;)

For those rare occasions when the shuttle is in front of you but too far out to the side for playing a forehand, then the thumb grip is the right choice.

Remember that you should only be hitting backhands when the shuttle is out to the side. If the shuttle is nearly "overhead" -- whether in front or behind you -- you should be playing a forehand.

Essentially, the grip progression for backhand overheads is like this:

• Shuttle well in front of you -- use a thumb grip
    • Shuttle about level with you -- use a bevel grip
    • Shuttle significantly behind you -- use a panhandle grip

...and ideally, you'd use "in between" grips for "in between" shots.

When the shuttle has travelled well behind you, a backhand clear is much harder. You may have to play a drop shot.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

*checks*

Oh, yes, sorry. :eek: My PM box is somewhat overflowing, as is my email, I'm afraid. :( I'll send a reply shortly.

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I find landing your racquet foot just before you play the backhand helps a lot, especially with timing. A lot of players play the shot while their foot is still coming down and have a high chance of mistiming it. But that's just me :p

18. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    the badminton bible suggests a bevel grip, but this is when you are directly next to it. if it is too much infront you will have to move the thumb so its directily inline with the racket head (so move the thumb to the right). You will achieve better power then. Although 80 % of the time you could use a round the head forehand which is alot better.

19. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    i second that, it works better for me than landing as you hit. land just before and you can push off and "into" the shuttle and youll feel your body weight adding to the swing. Im not sure why so many people recommend you land just as you contact shuttle, but ive read it in a few places.

20. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Your backhand motion should be a mirror of your forehand motion, especially the forehand rotation part. Thus, the grip to hit a clear level with you will be the same as the basic grip, but with the thumb up for added support. That's the bevel grip...