how to generate "boom" sound?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by newb123, Sep 3, 2009.

1. newb123

newb123 Regular Member

i am new to badminton,and is interested on the technique to generate this kind of impressive sound? any pro can teach me?
    Is it affected by badminton and string

2. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    First of all, certain strings make a better 'pop' sound than others. To generate the sound from your swing, make sure you are hitting the shuttle square on with your racket face, and not slanted like slicing the shuttle. Make sure you snap your wrist when hitting the shuttle.

The more power you have in your wrist, the louder the sound.....I think... :p experts chime in? :)

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Mainly technique/strong power creates the sound , a string can create a better sound , e.g Nanogys and when at a high tension - they make a lot of sound!

4. newb123

newb123 Regular Member

nanogys seems expensive,for newbie low tension such as 20-24 lbs~~will it be able to generate "boom" sound?how about BG66,from dans reviews,this string can generate a lot of repulsion
    can u specify the technique??

5. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    you wont be able to generate a boom sound if you're a noob. Proper form and technique takes years of experience.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I try to improvise the "boom" sound by yelling "boom" when I make contact.

Just kidding, but like everyone says...it is mainly done by proper technique. Although even with proper technique, you may not be able to generate a specific "boom" sound. And when you do get to that point, you may not even be able to tell. I can only tell after they've recorded me hitting and then I watch it. When I'm hitting, I don't hear the "boom" sound at all.

7. Jellogz

Jellogz Regular Member

Systems Developer
    LOL this ones kinda funny and can be annoying sometimes, theres this lady I saw in one of the courts I have played, and I noticed the sound of her racket everytime she whacks the shuttle, its pretty loud. Until I found her secret, she put a clear TAPE across the strings and near the bottom of the racquet head! :p I guarantee you, youll get a BOOM sound that u want to achieve! Though it aint came from the power, but still its the BOOM that you wanted to achieve :D

#7 Jellogz, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    just get the right technique down first. Then you'll able to tell the differences.
    But I would say this is the easy way. One high tension, two feather bird =). With plastic you'll able to do the loud sound, but only if you get the right technique down.

One more thing, I don't think high tension is not good for new comer. High tension is asking for different technique of hitting. So if right from the start you learn the right technique for hitting with high tension then you should be ok.

9. newb123

newb123 Regular Member

that one is not "boom" sound la(very loud but not nice to hear),"boom" sound is something like u feel the "gas" coming out from the collision
    I think I need to learn the correct stroke(not sure mine is correct or not~~just follow the style from youtube), maybe need to train my triceps to improve my swinging speed

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

11. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

Like others said, right technique. What worked for me was checking badmintonbible.com's grip guide and make sure I was grabbing the racquet correctly.

Using the basic grip, I made sure I wasn't changing my grip while smashing, which I did before. This is how I found out I wasn't pronating my arm correctly. Using that grip, just practice until you get the feeling. If you're a right-hander, hit at the shuttle when it is in front of you and slightly to the right, not exactly in front, which is what lots of noobs do.

If you hit the sweet spot, it's gonna "boom". Now, the exact sound depends on the strings, of course.

My 2 cents.

12. Speed#1

Speed#1 Regular Member

Student
    Is string tension of 25lbs high enough to generate the "PARP" sound ? Strung with Titanium String of 0.65mm ?

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
  14. victor_83

victor_83 Regular Member

Sales Engineer
    Chessmani: Excellent piece of information you have there. Thanks so much it helped me with my technique!

15. Lannister05

Lannister05 Regular Member

I used to have a very crappy smash but recently I've been generating a boom through greater waist rotation. I had no idea the waist made such a huge difference in the power of a smash but yeah if you're not doing that perhaps you should try it out.

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    dear demolidor,
    you are wrong and you are teaching us to fight, that is no good.
    you want the 'boom' sound? hit the shuttle to mach 1 or mach 2. :D:p