Pushing Opponents Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Something, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Something

Something Regular Member

When I am receiving the serve sometimes the serve is a bit too high and I try to push the shot and do a "tweener." Or when it is just a regular OK low serve. But when I push this it seems to do a fast, but low clear. Not, high or slow enough for them to smash, though. I can't get it to do a push, like straight and fast. What could I be doing wrong? But I can drive straight when we are doing driving drills. But I cannot seem to push or drive it when I'm receiving an opponents serve.

Thank you

2. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    ah i have the same problem too, but I think that it just depends on how fast you react to the bird and the angle of your racket by the time you reach the bird. It becomes a low clear because the angle of your racket is facing upward too much. I guess it's just a technique you can't do constantly since the height of the serves vary from time to time. If the serves are a bit too high and you still can't push, you just have to keep practicing reacting and angling your racket slightly up/straight or downward.

correct me if i'm wrong

3. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

your aim needs correction, practice aiming lower and hitting the shuttle at its highest point which will help you in getting a downwards or flat hit

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    You could be doing one of two things. The first is that you're taking it too low, below the net, which will mean the shuttle naturally has to travel upwards. How far upwards depends on a few factors. The other possibility, and very common in fact, is that you rush the serve too fast, and don't have enough time for your own reactions to work and play the correct shot

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    remember to bend the knees, if you are too tall, it makes this shot very hard to do wel, so bend the knees right down so you can hit the birdie at better height