Korean style shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

I just watched Park playing against Lin Dan in that Sudirman Cup final again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0zVW1TxHzg) and noticed something really odd. If you watch some of his backhand shots at the net he kinda does a little flick before playing a lift or net drop. I was wondering, do you any of you know the point of this? Is it just a delay for deception? Or is it just something he likes to do on those particular shots. I just found it wierd for him to be playing those on his own while other Korean players such as LYD play a much more standard game with simpler strokes.

2. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Are you referring to the double motion shot? I think it's used to deceive the opponent. I know a player who does this often. At first, it was tricky. But after a while, I got used to his style and am able to return the shot without confusion.

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Its just deception. Watch Lin Dans racket he does the same things on different strokes.
    Its nothing to do with just a "Korean Style" Loads of international players use this technique.

4. TedTheFarmer

Well I titled it Korean Style Shots because I've heard people classifying Koreans as the same style so many times, but I have never seen a player use a circular motion with the racquet head before playing a backhand at the net until Park. I'll keep an eye out for Lin Dan doing the same sort of thing, but I doubt he uses it with as much emphasis before the point of contact.

5. event

event Regular Member

Circular motion? I wonder if you mean the slide and flip motion before a crosscourt backhand. I don't see Park using it that much although I did notice it in the video you linked to. The players I know who are famous for that are Boonsak, Hafiz and now Lee Chong Wei, who I think is now the master at it in that he is the most consistent. I see a lot of recreational players doing it here, too, but only a few elite players.

6. TedTheFarmer

Well from the position Park plays the shot from it does look circular, although you're probably right about the slide and flip. I did notice LCW playing it quite a bit recently, although his looks slightly different, his motion seems much quicker and obviously he hits the shot much earlier due to his footwork. I wonder if one of you could go through how it is actually deceptive, because obviously the motion means that you're playing the shot later and so giving your opponent more time to get into position for the shot.