Is having big leg muscles good?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sportech, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sportech

Sportech Regular Member

Student
    :confused::confused::confused:actually i duno where to put this thread....here's my question,i wonder if it is a problem.....i have big leg muscles,bigger than those girls same age,even boys.....so i just want to know,is having big leg muscles good for playing badminton???

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Yes it is very good, look at the pros legs, very big legs, generally smaller upper bodies. Big muscular legs help with thrusting movements and jumping movements, and also because they ave probably been worked on, wont tire as easily in a intense match.

This happened me, my calfs werent up to the job and let me down in the finals of a competition. I shudve won but I cudnt move lol!!

3. Sportech

Sportech Regular Member

Student
    but sometimes is the leg muscles that hurt,as you say so,my leg is not easilt tired,but the body is,which makes me cannot run,is that my stamina problem???

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Sounds like stamina problem! Is your legs muscle or fat?? Run hills wud be my advice, dat wil get u fit big time!!

5. druss

druss Regular Member

It will depend on what type of badminton you play. Players who only play singles tend to be more slim but very fit, like marathon runners. Doubles players tend to be built for shorter bursts of speed and strength, like sprinters.

6. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

also depends on what type of "muscles" you have. if you only concentrate on power and strength (which makes your leg muscles grow big) when working out, you will miss out on stamina, which is really important in badminton.

7. Sportech

Sportech Regular Member

Student
    then how do i improve stamina?btw,anyone has advice on running to the base line from the net?

8. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Ways to train stamina? It depends on what level of badminton you are playing. For beginners/amateurs, it is enough just to do shadow play or footwork drills or do some light jogging around court as warm up before you go for your social badminton session.

If you are playing at district/state levels, you should be doing cardiac work like doing regular jogging in the morning/evening(maybe once a week to start off and increase it to 2-3 times a week when you are fitter). Alternatively, you can access the machines(elliptical trainers and exercise bikes) in gym to build your stamina. If you are in the national team, I really don't think you really needs other's opinions here.

My suggestion of improving your backcourt to front court coverage(baseline to net):

1. Try putting 5 shuttles in the front service line(the line on your side of court closest to the net).
    2. Start from middle of the court, run towards the shuttle(with proper front court footwork-> youtube). pick up the shuttle, move to the rear of court with proper footwork(again youtube-in general you should turned your body so that your non-racket foot&hand are facing the net while your racket foot&hand are facing the rear court).
    3. When you are at the base line, try throwing the shuttle towards the net(try getting the shuttle across the net) with a motion as if you are doing a clear.
    4. After throwing the shuttle, charge to the service line and pick up another shuttle.
    5. Repeat 1-4 until you ran out of shuttle.
    6. Rest(approximately twice as long as you did a set of footwork drill mentioned above, rest:work ratio=2:1) and repeat another set.

Start slowly so that you get your footwork right and increase your movement speed when you're comfortable. Try repear the drills above by pushing the shuttles slightly closer to the net(between net and first service line) when you are more confident with your footwork.

*********More advanced drills

When you are more comfortable with your clear and footwork, try getting 2 partners to do another more advanced drill with you.

One partner will stay on the rear of opposite court(this guy just clear and doesnt move). And both you and another fellow take the other side of court.

1. Your partner stand behind you and you lift a shuttle to the person on the other side of court and charge to the net and touch the net with your racket.
    2. The guy on the other court(the feeder) clear the shuttle to the back(all he does is stand and keep clearing the shuttle). Your partner will move to clear the shuttle back to the opposite side and charge towards the net and touch the net with his/her racket while you are moving back to the rear court to clear the shuttle which is coming from the feeder.Try to rotate in such a way that you 2 won't knock into each other.
    3. After you clear the shuttle back to the feeder charge to the net again, your partner moves back to clear and charges to net while you move back(keep rotating) .
    4. Just keep doing 1-3(just moving and clearing) for few minutes until you feel tired. Rest and do it again

Note: Once you are confident with your movement speed, hit the shuttle with punch clears(attacking clear which is alot faster than high clear) from both sides.

Hope this will helps. -.-''

Before I forget. Try to run on the balls of your feet(not flat footed) and try to incorporate split step in your footwork.

#8 majyun, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009