The use of dorsiflextion and Plantar flextion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mikael, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    To what extent do u or should u make use of Dorsiflextion and Plantar flextion in badminton?

From standing on the ground with your feet horizontal to the ground, then dorsi-flextion is when the foot/toes are pointing upward towards the roof, making a "V" and u will be standing on your heel - See the first picture (BTW: In the first picture he is not standing on his heel with his right foot, it is up in the air but still shows Dorsi flextion, but if u do it with both feets u would be standing on your heels).
    Plantar flextion is then when the foot/toes are pointing downwards, see the Second picture.
    Im am not sure whether it is the position or the motion of the feets that u call dorsi/plantar flextion!?

Anyhow is dorsiflextion helpfull when playing badminton or would it just make you out of balance?

Attached Files:

#1 Mikael, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

For the uses of the flexions.

You do use dorsiflextion when lunging?

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You dorsiflex the foot when you lunge in order to land on the heel. I've actually had an injury which made me unable to dorsiflex, and I couldn't lunge properly until I regained that ability.

When walking, dorsiflexion helps to clear the toes from the ground when swinging the leg forward.

The typical ankle sprain occurs when the ankle is plantarflexed and inverted (roll inward) hence the name inversion sprain. One thing you can do is learn to dorsiflex your foot if it's forcefully inverting to prevent ankle sprains.

4. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    So important when landing, but what about "departure" for split steps or when jumping?

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

only when landing on the heel for lunges. Most other landings (from jumps or split steps) you won't be fully dorsiflexed

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

When you make a deep lunge, does your dorsiflex sometimes make your heel slip from the court? Why does this happen to me ?

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
  8. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Generally, I try, for all sports, to be more on the forefoot than on the heel. It's much more agile, activates more muscles, and allows for quicker reactions.

When jumping, especially for the smash, I almost always land on the forefoot instead of the heels. This way, most of the force gets absorbed by the muscles (calf etc.) instead of all of those muscles there, including the calf, take much of the force, instead of the joints (knee, hip).

This of course does not always work when in a forward movement (i.e., lunge).

Aside from that, when in rest, my weight is on the forefoot, often with the heels slightly lifted (not as much as in your image, of course).

Note: do *not* try to land on your toes, but on the balls of the feet. The toes are made for pushing off, but do not really lend themselves for landing.

9. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I have been told two different things from two different reliable sources. I have been told that when you lunge to the front, you should land with your racket foot (ie if you are RH, then you land on your right foot). The part that differs is;

1. You land with your heel of your right foot. Why? Because in doing so, you have to throw your foot away to land and that will ensure that your body load is on your heel and not on your knee. This prevents knee injury.

2. You land with your balls of your right foot. Why? Because in doing so, you have quicker response time to rocket launch yourself to your back if the return is fast and heading towards your back.

I was told from two different players who have been coached in the national team. So, (2) is contrary to what stumblingfeet has suggested. The player who told me is an advanced player and strongly advised against (1).

What do I do? I am used to (2) as well and when I do try (1), I tend to slip. My shoes? I don't think so. Maybe it is the way I land, I don't know. What do you say?

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Landing on your heel after jumping?! Damn... the shock would go right to your knees! For lunges, yes... landing on heel is better as it would prevent you from rolling your ankle. It's also biomechanically sound as your heel naturally contact ground first when you lunge anyways.

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Assumed that we talk footwork from app. the middle and to the forward to the corners of the net, then u should first meet the floor with your heel, but not like banging it into the floor, it is an almost rolling motion from the heel and then put down the forefoot, and then back again!

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Still what I am looking for is take-off from the center, split-step, or for jumping high, to what extent does dorsi-flextion come into use here?

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    correct very correct!

correct very correct! u must have huge calf muscle!;);)

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    bend your knee?

u didn't bend your racket-foot knee when u dorsiflex (when u lunge) so heel will slip or racket-foot not aligned to shuttle direction!;);)

15. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Take-off: The foot you use to push with isn't dorsal flexing, the other might, depending on where you are going (i.e. I can push myself to the in 1 step, so in that case I would make a slight dorsalflexion as part of the lunge, whereas going to the back I need a few more steps :p).

Split step: why would you dorsiflex here? The entire point is to pre-contract your calf and thighs. A dorsal flexion of the foot would do the opposite, so no dorsal flexion here.

Jumping high: Jumping is done by plantarflexing the foot, so no dorsalflexion here either.

Also, watching that training video you linked, I didn't see any dorsiflexion used in the actual jumping at all - he was merely showing how you run which obviously is a combination of dorsal and plantar flexion - just like walking is :confused:

Regarding the lunging thingy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9hgHUORaM&feature=related

Should hopefully clear up the confusion you've got going regarding your option 1 and 2 monster :p

A sign that you are doing your footwork correct will be that the heel of your rackethand shoe is getting worned out (take a look at your sole, mine is almost worn through) and that the nose of the other shoe will be worn as well.

16. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Trmun, my heel and toe area of my shoe soles are worn out.

Btw, do you guys land on your heel with your knee bent and that your foot is at an angle to the net? So, instead of your foot being perpendicular to the net, it is maybe 45 deg to the net when you dorsiflex?

17. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Trmun, my heel and toe area of my shoe soles are worn out.

Btw, do you guys land on your heel with your knee bent and that your foot is at an angle to the net? So, instead of your foot being perpendicular to the net, it is maybe 45 deg to the net when you dorsiflex?

18. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Just watched the youtube Trmun suggested. It seems like Peter Gade is doing it at an angle. I'll keep trying, this time with my knee bent.

19. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

You land with your foot pointing in the same direction as you move. The entire point is so that should you not stop, the force in the movement won't make you strain you ancle. Really, at around 45 seconds into the youtube he shows it perfectly.

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    peter gade video

yes, correct, foot pointing the same direction as you move and don't forget to bend your knee as you dorsiflex!

also the vid on peter gade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9hgHUORaM&feature=related) is great he has very light & good footwork. no wonder he is in the korea open final with chong wei tomorrow! ;);)