Clear technique fine, but still not getting nearly far enough

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Canadian fox, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Canadian fox

Canadian fox Regular Member

Student
    I have been playing badminton for about 2years, I would say I am about intermidiate player, but when I play and someone clears to the back, I find myself running out of options because my clears don't go back to back. My coach says that my technique is fine and that all I need is a bit more strength into my shot. I can get to the back quick enough to hit whatever shot I need, so footwork isn't the problem since it has been drilled in for a year and a half. I really need a back to back clear so I have that one more shot onto my arsenal and don't have to rely so much into my deceptive drops in singles so much. (they are good but I need more than a lift to push my opponent back) Any feedback is appreciated.
    Ps:I have looked looked everywhere for other topics like this one and none have been helpful.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Racket, string, tension?

Are you also using forearm supination?

A good drill is to throw shuttles as far as you can from the baseline. Clearing and smashing requires the same biomechanics.

3. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Hey,
    Are you using your whole body when you clear? You need to use your whole body from head to toes. Are you turning your shoulder, hips, waist, and legs? Also throwing out your arms fast and snapping your wrists fast? How about your timing? When you start executing your clears is all you weight fully on your back foot?
    Good luck.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

To be honest, I can clear back to back on my forehand side with just my arm and pronation. How old are you fox?

5. Canadian fox

Student
    I use a ns 6000 strung at 22lbs, I believe that it is a bg65 string. I use forearm supination. (coach calls it wrist snap) By rotating you mean like a sicssor kick and the whole body rotating with it right? Not quite sure how to explain it but I am pretty sure I am doing that right. I have done the drill where you throw the bird many times and my weight starts on my back foot and ends on my front foot(with sicssor kick). As far as I know (can't really compare to much) I am throwing my arm fast enough and have done those arm chair exercises with the racket cover on my racket. I am 14yrs old soon 15

#5 Canadian fox, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

NS6000, no wonder you're not getting enough power to clear! It's the most headlight of the NS series. You should try a slightly head heavier racket like NS 9000S or 9900.

Don't get me wrong, headlight is excellent for defence, but at the expense of offence... and this is where your weakness is and this is where a head heavier racket can help.

[​IMG]

#6 visor, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  7. Canadian fox

Student
    I own a ns 800 and don't see much of a diff in strength between the 2. I got the ns 6000 last year (paid with my own money) And there is deffinitly no way I can convinse my parents to let me buy a new racket right now (unless I win a big Tourney)... Does head heavy make such a diffrence in strength?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, then you'll have to try borrowing one of the above head heavier rackets from your friends and see how your clearing is compared to your 800 and 6000.

Yes, it helps, because of extra momentum generated by a heavier frame.

9. Canadian fox

Student
    Well I'll try that, but to be honest most of my friends don't play badminton and of those that do, mosly at school where nobody really seems to know what real badminton really looks like. Well the next time I play is in 2 days from now. Well thanks for the advice.

10. mann68

mann68 Regular Member

banker
    Visor,

what does HOLD mean?

i play with ARCSABER 10, and i play men doubles only. my weakness i feel is Smash at the level i play...

should i switch to AT 700? will it give more power?

11. visor

visor Regular Member

What I meant was borrow it from the people that you play badminton with. Check around to see what others are playing with!

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh, from that graph, X axis (ie. horizontal) is:
    hold = flexible , on the left
    repulsion = extra stiff , on the right

You choose this based on your swing speed and power: the greater, the more stiff you would prefer, in general.

No, don't pick AT700 for doubles... too head heavy and slow to defend with. It is excellent for singles, though, because that game is not as fast.

13. mann68

mann68 Regular Member

banker
    Visor,

then what should i go for ?

with arc saber 10, i am not getting enough oomph in the smash?

which is a recommended doubles racket .. with a view that my smash is the weaker link?

or shouls i stick to ARC 10...

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Arc 10 should work for you, as you're adapted to it already.
    What strings and tension are you using?

Also make sure you're concentrating on absolutely focusing your power and speed of the swing at the point of impact with the bird. Practice hitting it perfectly crisply first until you hear that sharp "whapaarp!" sound before adding more power.

15. mann68

mann68 Regular Member

banker
    25 / 26 lb bg 65

you are right i am not hitting it as crisply as i should... but i am able to to do everthing else better than i smash... i simply need more power... although i have the power, i cant convert it to the shuttle...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

More important to get the technique and timing right first, then add more power gradually. Practice with your partner feeding half court clears to you.

17. druss

druss Regular Member

Also, try a string like the BG80. Almost everyone starts out with the BG65 which is ok but the BG80 has more repulsion. Also, why string so high? Did someone choose that for you or did you choose yourself?

I'd suggest BG80 at 22/24 to try.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

About the racket recommendations...

A head-heavy racket may help you, or it may not. It really depends on the player.

It's not necessarily true that a head-heavy racket will build up "extra momentum" during the swing. If your arm movements are fast enough, then a head-light racket will build up equal momentum, because it will be travelling faster (momentum = mass * velocity) than the head-heavy one (since a head-light racket has less angular inertia to overcome).

No racket "generates power". It entirely depends on how the player swings. Bear in mind that your timing and technique will be affected if you switch to a radically different racket, and it will take some time to adjust.

Many players find that they get more power with a head-heavy racket. Probably, if you were starting badminton from scratch and wanted to develop a power-biased game, then you should choose a moderately head-heavy racket. But with your existing skills, you may find a head-heavy racket does not work for you.

#18 Gollum, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  19. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I know you are a bit young so Im not sure if weights would suit you.

I get 1 single weight on a dumbbell bar so the weight it just on 1 end, I do the smash or clear motion making sure I do the forearm pronation & twist the body etc.

Because you are young, I would suggest using a very light weight as it may help you here.

It may be a thought to practice 5 or 10 mins with a squash racket hitting clears as hard as possible. This will also build up strength.

But once again beware you dont over do it. The good thing ur close to going to the gym age but as I said start with light weights.

(It may be an idea to video your clears for us to see it here. Am sure Gollum and other coaches and good players will have some tips to get that extra power :cool:)

20. AntoTH

AntoTH Regular Member

Student
    IMHO the racket isn't the main problem... with a good clear technique you should be able to easily reach your opponent's baseline without much effort and with almost all rackets.

Since your coach said you that your clear movement is good enough, i suggest to try to execute it just slighly faster than you usually do it (not "stronger", just faster).
    And remember, clear, drop and smash share almost the same pattern of movement; the point of impact makes the difference between these 3 shots ^_^

Good Luck!