most important exercises

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by charliebadders, Mar 31, 2010.

1. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    as i and many of you don't have much time to train because of school, work, girlfriend/boyfriends etc what 5 exercises would you say are the most important for improving/maintaining your game? can be exercises with weights for example, laterial raise or it can be with the use of equipment for example, skipping, jumping over boxes or just exercises using bodyweight. please give them a ranking of 1 to 5 and why you believe they are the most important. cheers in advance.

2. dangulberry

dangulberry Regular Member

Are you thinking of singles or doubles play?

I'm not sure of priority, but the following is a combination of what I've been taught (by the coach Irwansyah) and what I've figured out for myself.

GETTING AROUND THE COURT
    Any squat-type exercises - especially ones that train you to make explosive movements (this will help with recovery from a lunge, for example). Practise lunging and recovering *quickly*.

Any exercise that strengthens your back, while also increasing flexibility. 'Ashtanga' yoga is perfect for this - just the basic sun salutations will help enormously. 'Mackenzie' push ups are also very good, helping you strengthen your lower back and hip muscles. Quickly moving backwards from your base position (especially towards your backhand side) while getting yourself sufficiently *behind* the shuttle to perform an effective hit, will require a flexible, strong back. This is also crucial for maintaining balance, and moving back to your base position.

HITTING
    Strengthen your rotator cuff muscle(s) - even if you haven't experienced any problems with this, it's worth strengthening further in order to prevent damage in the future. There are lots of exercises recommended in a thread in the Injuries forum here at BC.

Strengthen your wrists, forearms and elbows - stressball, powerball, and heavy squeezing exercises will help here. Important for a strong backhand.

I'm not sure about biceps, but certainly one's tricep strength requires maintenance. Pushups and pullups will help with this (including clapping pushups for increasing explosive arm strength) but if your elbows or shoulders suffer from this repetitive action, the yoga sun salutations will help. Look on youtube for sun salutation videos.

GENERAL FITNESS
    Yoga will help with controlling your breathing when you're pushing your body to its limit. Being out of breath, puffing hard, will mess up your timing when you hit the shuttle - clears won't go as deep, for instance.

Of course, any prolonged aerobic activity will increase fitness/stamina. For this you might as well do badminton footwork drills on your own. These can be as knackering/effective as jogging, but train you in getting around the court as well.

If you are REALLY pressed for time, and must prioritise further, I'd say concentrate on aerobic fitness (through the footwork exercises), general upper body strength (through pushups, pullups or weights), and lots of strrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeetching.

#2 dangulberry, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. ben S&C

ben S&C Regular Member

student
    Hi my 1 to 5 if you want to seriously improve power and strength rapidly would be
    1 Deadlift (if i was to give my athletes only one exercise to do this would be it)
    2 Glute activation work using therabands
    3 Inverted rows/pullups and narrow grip pushups
    4 Plenty of stretching
    5 Sleeper stretch for internal shoulder rotation