Total Strength Training for badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ben S&C, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ben S&C

ben S&C Regular Member

student
    For those of you who've read my articles before you may allready know what to expect, this is the most comprehensive article to date. Written By Brendan Chaplin MSc ASCC CSCS, head S and C coach at Leeds Metropolitan University it focuses on all aspects of weight training for badminton and also includes some really good videos of some of the top players in the country (Harry Wright and Lim Kenn to name a couple) undergoing their weight training programme.
    This is a really good resource for anyone written by a guy who really knows his stuff.
    For the full article please follow the link below and feel free to post feedback http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/Brendan_Chaplin/Home/Entries/2010/4/9_Building_Badminton_Athletes.html

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Some questions:

1. Is there any evidence showing that general explosive upper body exercises translate into improved power on the court? If so, could this be detrimental to the accuracy and control of strokes?

2. What season do you train the badminton players? If off-season, do they not train badminton and focus solely on physical preparation? If in-season, how do you manage physical training sessions with practising the sport in terms of fatigue, periodization, etc?

3. How do you balance unilateral and bilateral exercises in your programmes? Both types in each workout? Alternate within a week? It looks like the videos have bodyweight unilateral exercises. Do you do loaded ones as well like heavy lunges or bulgarian split squats?

3. benmac

benmac Regular Member

Thanks for the link, great to finally get some reliable information on strength and conditioning training from people who work with badminton players. Too much of the suggested training programs/exercises I have seen on these forums are straight out of mens health magazine and designed for body builders.
    The players I work with do most of the exercises that are talked about in the article and I follow similar protocols in relation to training variables such as reps and sets.
    keep up the great work guys

4. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

whao thanx for the links...

at the end, he mentioned that he has catalogued injury preventive exercises...do you know when he might published that!?

thnx!

5. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

great article, exactly what i was looking for! thanks a lot!

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's a good article Brendan. :) Bookmarked for reference.

7. ben S&C

ben S&C Regular Member

student
    hey guys just to let u know all ur questions are being noted down and at some point soon a post will get put out with the answers to them all. Keep posting if you have any questions guys thanks ben

8. Luka89

Luka89 Regular Member

I was wondering why your exercises are so low in rep range. I understand you need to get the power but I would expect also that muscle endurance is an important factor. Wich you train, in my believe, in a rep range of 15/20 and higher. I was wondering why you choose for only max strenght and not for a combination of both.

If you would do a combination, how would you inplant that in a schedule?

Is it also possible to combine the weight training with agillity exercises? Cause in the article it says agillty work should be done one the court.

If you would combine these two, how would a training look like. Would you it be like some kind of circuit?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Endurance can be trained away from the weights: you can do an all-over cardiovascular exercise like the cross trainer or rowing machine, where the resistance is adjustable.

The kind of muscular endurance you get with high reps would only really apply to legs, as they are the only things that are in constant motion during the game.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The kind of muscular endurance you get with high reps would only really apply to legs, as they are the only things that are in constant motion during the game; shot-making muscles are probably better trained in the "power band", as they have to be applied to extreme acceleration.

Double post - oops!

11. ben S&C

ben S&C Regular Member

student
    Hey guys as promised there are answers to all your question here (and a number posted on badminton central) Some more really good info. Also if you follow the youtube link you can see some more videos of our players lifting in the gym, including Lim Kenn performing the highly difficult split snatch (i'd like to see Raj do that). Again if you have more questions please post them up.
    http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/Brendan_Chaplin/Home/Entries/2010/5/4_Badminton_Q_and_A.html
    http://www.youtube.com/user/brendanc2009#p/u/7/xBAA5b-Mz3s

12. John Shanghai

John Shanghai New Member

Thank you for this link!