First time to be matched in doubles (share your experience)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by iamyours, Apr 21, 2010.

1. iamyours

iamyours Regular Member

Administrative Assistant
    Hi guys,

Last April 18, I joined a some sort of friendly tournmanent, we called it SINGOLYMPICS (Olympics for Singles For Christ members). I was assigned to play Men's Double without knowing who will be my partner.

I consider myself one level ahead of a beginner. But mind you, my partner was a professional. He joined several tournaments and one hell of a great player.

He gave me tips and techniques on how to serve, how to smash and even footwork while we're playing the game with our opponent from other town.

Good thing, we won the game. And I promised myself to practice more. Because it's a shame if I can't contribute more on our game. I want to do also what he can do... :)

This August we will join again the tournament representing our province for the Regional competition.

Wish us luck!

Thanks for this forum, this somewhat helps me improve my skills. ;)

2. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

Congratulations on your win!

Ideally since your partner is more experienced and I'm assuming he therefore is better at smashing/dropping, you guys should be trying to go into a 'front-back' position with him at the back raining down smashes and you looking to control the forecourt.
    Also, try and get yourself familiar with the doubles formations. (Such as going side by side when defending.)

Most importantly, don't hold back just because you're afraid of letting your partner down. If you can get an opportunity, take it.

Good luck for your games!

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

We should all aspire to be like you and your partner: the less experienced one being grateful and keen to learn all he can; and the more experienced one being humble, patient and kind enough to teach. Best of luck! :)

4. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Good luck and God bless to your game... ask your partner what are his favorite shots so you can set the game for him. If you can set the game for your partner, you contribute and help him. If you have the opportunity to hit the shuttle, either smash or drop,or even lift, make a good placement/placing the shuttle away from your opponents' reach. Of course, you are listening and following his tips and techniques, keep doing that, if you fail, don't get frustrated and make next shot better. If you are going to play mostly at the front, ask him to teach you how to play in front, and of course at the back. Practice more with him, so you will know each other well. The best thing is TEAMWORK and focus.

5. iamyours

iamyours Regular Member

Administrative Assistant
    thanks for the all the advices guys... Hope we can win the regional competition so that we can proceed in joining the ILC (International Leaders Conference) next year...