powerfull smashesssss

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by biggy, Jan 5, 2003.

1. biggy

biggy Regular Member

hi
    i play badminton almost everyday was once 1st in my division.
    then i stop playing for fw years and i am caching back ...
    so i awas woundering if there where any expert out there who could give me some tricks to smash good and strong ....:confused:

tnx for the avdice

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    strength train your wrist, forearm, rotator cuff & triceps
    practice 10 minutes of baseline-baseline clears during each session
    increase your racket tension
    learn to jump smash

3. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    at the moment i find that my ground smashes are more powerful than
    my jump smashes although the latter can get sharper angles. which
    muscles do i need to strengthen to add power to jump smashes? abs?
    are jump smashes supposed to be more powerful than ground ones?

i noticed that the less slippery the floor, the more powerful my smashes.
    this appears to be in line with when i jump smash, there's no friction
    under my feet since i'm airborne, so i get less power. is there something
    wrong with my technique?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe smash is a combination of timing, accuracy and strength (wrist + arm). Personally, I practice my timing and accuracy in proper drils and "hitting against wall" methods. For strength, racket swinging and weight lifting can surely help.

5. mynameisblablab

mynameisblablab Regular Member

Student
    I would say try doing a lot of pushups. Tat builds up your upper body including triceps. Also work on your abs... do a lot of cruntches.

Working on your wrist would help also.

Power smashes arent JUST from the wrist. Its all the muscles in your upper body working together correctly, so its important for all those muscles to be in good shape not just ur wrist or just ur abs.

One thing however is tat, its important not to weightrain ur upper body too much. because this adds muscle mass to ur body, which slows u down.

6. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Balance is very important. For jumpsmash, it really helped me gain power due to having my legs move in a synchrone way while jumping.
    I also find that slippery floors make it difficult to have a good balance.

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Having a thunderous booming smash is all about timing. For those, myself included, who can't always get that full power in jump smash, it is because during a jump smash both the shuttle and the player are in motion and therefore there is an extra timing step that needs to be worked on. Of course the best thing to do is to make sure you are following the correct form and then just keep on practicing. Form and timing is more important than raw physical strength.

8. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i do not know the most effective way to get a powerful smash, but the easiest way IMHO is just by smashing more!

get someone to feed you and just smash continously!

in badminton, we dont really need muscle mass, we need the explosiveness of the muscle... the ability of the muscle to generate a lot of power in a short time... someone who may do 100 normal push ups may die in 10 "explosive" push ups (push yourself to a "jump" and clap before going down and up again)

which is why badminton pros generally have compact muscles...

a jump smash and a normal smash i dont really think there's much difference in power because a good jump smasher has "hang time" and in this split second he may turn his whole body to generate the smash...

pls note that i'm no coach... just a regular badminton player, so what i say here may not be true!

9. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    You guys are missing a very crucial point. A good smasher must have the proper shoulder to arm configuration in order to smash a shuttle using the strength of the whole upper body and not only with the arm. I have seen many players who totally get it wrong.

The smash of a badminton is very similar to a tennis serve, where you drop your stance thus producing that arc from your back to produce more top swing comign down on the shuttle. Now that's power.

Smilley.

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Jump smash is to teach you proper technique. You will utilise a shorter swing if you jump. Power all comes from the wrist and arm. You wont utilise the right muscles if you're not using the proper technique so not much point in training your triceps and rotator cuffs anyway. Go on a full body weight training program anyway, theres way too many muscleheads in the gyms..

11. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    no, jump smashes produce greater angle... for a loooong time my jump smash was harder than my ground one.... then about 2 weeks ago i finally realized what i was doing wrong.... on the ground, it was mainly arm, wrist etc.... but i forgot a cruicial aspect... the waist!! now that i use (probably not fully) my waist, my ground smashes are killer compared to my jump smashes...

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

This never be a problem to me.

I guess I am too strong (ok ok ok, heavy, ><), to jump high. So, don't even bother, just stick with ground smash. :(

13. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Suppose you play against players with a good defence and fast enough to get your drops. What would you do? Smashing right before them is a possible way to go. If you are tall enough for that - good for you, but if not? Sometimes there's no other way to put shuttle close 2 the net and do it quickly. :( Though personally I don't like it neither: toooooooo much energy it consumes and besides, I can't make it really good...

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Too bad, I am not tall and fat, and a lot of ppl are faster than me (foot work). I don't have powerful jump smash (since I can't jump high), and even my groud smash are not powerful, either.

However, I consider I have some advantage over most of others in the following:

1. quick hand/wrist: good for net play
    2. patience: many of points I win, are after numerous of rallies, and opponet is the 1st one to make mistake (out of bound, hit into net, miss hit, etc)
    3. not giving up: many hard or impossible saves to others, seems possible for me (even though, of course won't be successful every time). I am willing to "diving" save sometimes in front of net, and some times, can get a point or so while shocking my opponent with their mouths wide open.

Maybe that's why I am a much better double player when I am in front of the net, but suck as hell as a single player. :(

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Have to say I am almost the exact opposite as LB. :D well, playing style that is. I love to jump and often find myself spending more time in the air than it's good for me. Jump smash to me isn't more powerful but you get a greater angle and well, when you are higher up, you see more options to hit. Another thing is my opponents almost always anticipate a jump smash whenever I am in the air so it's actually quite deceptive if I do a "jump drop".

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Lol... Sounds cool. Hopefully, this will make us a great partnership, which cover and help out, and utilize each one. But not making us beating each other up on court. :D

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    well at least we won't both be fighting to get the same shot I guess. :D

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, BC.com US EAST doulbe strategy book rule #1:

1. I will take all the shots which are 5.5 ft or below...

2. u will take the ones are higher than that.

3. Both of us will holding rulers in the spare hands... Can't imagine what that will look like. :D

19. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Man you must be really, really short ;P

At the net I will generally take any shot that I can get to in time up to around 7.5 ft, that's my height, 5'9", plus a little forearm, plus hand, plus most of the length of the racquet.

5.5 ft is around eyeline, and you should be able to smash down stuff at the net to at least a racquet head's length above your head ;)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Nah... I am 5'8. I say 5'5, since I don't want to smash at all.

I will just do the "D". u know, selfclaim "defensive style" or "control type"... :( ;)