light vs heavy racket?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, May 1, 2010.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys, im just wondering.
    i have both heavy and light rackets and i like right rackets because i feel like im one with the racket (as funny as that sounds)
    but with a a heavier racket, i have more power with my shots but (same amount of energy exerted but faster and more explosive shots), however its heavier so i get tired faster.

so im just wondering, what do most people have? its just a curiosity thing, im experimenting with the two and i tend to swithc back and forth.

also im curious about the pros. like hendra setiawan and fu hai feng.. what do they use? like heavy or light rackets? or a balanced one?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

For me, I'm 155lbs with moderate forearm strength, I prefer slighltly head heavy rackets around 86g. Any lighter and it becomes harder to generate power, and any heavier becomes harder to play for more than 2 hrs.

3. CantSmash

CantSmash Regular Member

Play with one for awhile and see how you like it. Switching from one to another is kind of bad because you won't get use to one or the other. Once you experiences with both then you can pick one which fits you best. It doesn't matter what the pro uses, it's what fits you.

Just like you said, heavy racket gives more power and the light gives you more reaction. Now depending on what type of player you are will make which type of racket you like more.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Are we talking about the racket weight purely (as in 2U, 3U and 4U) or the balance point (which translate to head heaviness)? Reason for asking is, two rackets with same weight can feel different because of BP is different. A head heavy racket feels heavier compare to a head light racket, even if actual weight are the same.

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

BTW, Hendra Setiawan was using Arc7 (balance racket) before switching to FlyPower Warrior 8 (or 7 cant remember) also is a balance if not head light racket (i never tried it before - only have a second hand info). FHF was using Ti10 (if i remember correctly) before switching to LN.

6. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    sounds like the person who started this is referring to the balance. ...and maybe the actual weight at the same time? haha, but i'll go with balance.

7. eeyore12345

eeyore12345 Regular Member

I like to use something like an armortec 700, head heavy racket. It doesn't matter if it's light, when you're into the game the adrenaline kicks high, and you're really to go! also, playing with the armortec 700 for awhile, switching back to light heavy racket is a breeze.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

If the question is on the BP, then it really depends on the person style of play. Eg. doubles/singles attack/defence. If you have dilema between the two extremes then why dont go for the balance racket such as Arcsaber or MP series.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I would presume we're talking about the overall swing weight - ie. heavy and/or head heavy vs light and/or head-light.
    From what I can tell, most people tend to avoid either extreme, and just go for something in between. If anything, they probably err towards the heavy/head-heavy side, if only because most people still use Yonex rackets, and Yonex just don't really make light rackets.