Starting your game slow. How do I overcome this?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crimz, May 3, 2010.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hi I've realized that I'm a very slow starter together with my brother. When we play doubles together we are losing to people that we should not lose to. We make lots of simple mistakes and unforced errors and in a split second we're 10-3 down. By the time we get into our game we are chasing back 17-14 but unfortunately we tend to lose that set.

Are there any ways to overcome this disadvantage of starting slowly so I would be able to gain maximum points and not start from a deflicit.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you're probably not warming up properly - what do you do?

3. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Well for my warm-up I do mostly everything. Lobs, drops, nets, lifts and even smash. I usually end my warm up by playing a not-so-intense half court singles so I could actually move my body around.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

maybe the ending is just too low intensity, or maybe it's just a mental thing - not right frame of mind and not concentrating appropriately.

5. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I have the same issue and its true you're not warming up enough. To correct this, I will start with regular warmup strokes and footwork, but then move into a strong rally. Depending on how I feel i'll go full out on the rallys. This gets your intensity up and prepared for the match. If i dont rally, I find that my first set is basically a warm up match, and that is no good.

6. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    So a high intensity warm up would be like a serious singles game in a match just that its only half court? I try to avoid this so I can conserve as much energy as I cant for my match.

7. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

Generally what you should do is warm up your legs. Do the 4 corner footwork, but only stepping out with one foot so you don't use too much space. Then start just rallying with your partner, and just jump around. Then I normally ask my partner to do whatever he wants in half court, and I always have to clear or drop.. etc.

8. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    Hello Crimz,

'Could also mean that your "mental toughness" can be improved further...
    The part I'm referring to is your ability to get into "the zone" as soon as possible - so that you "feel" your each and every move into the game (ASAP).

This ability will come with practise and experience of playing lots of games/matches, win or lose - if you keep making a conscious effort at it. Soon, after a while you'll find by conditioning yourself mentally that you will start to commit less errors at the beginning of matches.

Another big part of "mental toughness" is positive attitude.. try going into a match with your bro with full confidence, believing in yourselves and your abilities (remove all negative thoughts, such as doubting yourself and your abilities, from the mind at this time, when you are just starting the match..)... by doing this, and by doing this CONSISTENTLY, I GUARANTEE you will see an almost instant improvement in your ability to get into "the zone" faster, and in all around consistency.. ;):D

Hope you find this helpful.
    All the best..

#8 stanster213, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

what good does conserving energy do it takes you several points to warm up? Warm up properly before when it doesnt cost you points.

10. John Shanghai

John Shanghai New Member

I agree with what's said above. Make sure your body is ready to play on match level before you start the match. A bit more of a positive attitude and confidence will also get you further.

11. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    I have the same answer as many of the answers above. I myself compete in a lot of national tournaments and feel that if I am not warm prior to the match, I won't be able to move or do much at the fullest ability I am capable of ...
    So I would really suggest having a proper warm up BEFORE the match, maybe skip a little, jump around, do a few lunges, a bit of quick feet footwork, etcetcetc. Just get your heart pumping and your body ready to go. And once you are called on court, do your normal warmups as you would, and before the match actually begins, think to yourself to play a bit safer at first so they don't gain a huge lead. By safer, I mean less angled smashes, aiming more into the court rather then down the lines or close to the outside lines etc. It's the warm up prior to the match and the mental durnig the match that can really effect somebody. :)

12. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

correction on the post above^^^

"So I would really suggest having a proper warm up BEFORE the match, maybe skip a little, jump around, do a few lunges, a bit of quick feet footwork, etcetcetc"

skip a little, but never use the skipping rope to do so....
    it makes the forearm muscles stiff.... n that wont help you with your strokes...