Playing with someone who is much weaker

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Aug 5, 2010.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

A good friend of mine, has decided to take up badminton, I was really happy to hear this and I even offered to train him a little. We did some training drills, but early on I could
    tell he was not having fun and not interested in drills. (too boring I guess?)

Instead, he wanted to play games, and at first, that seemed like an okay idea; however, I soon realized, you can't play the way you normally would against someone who is much weaker than you.

I have to change alot of my shots so that he can get to them, and full-smashes are out of the question. He's really fit because he use to be a long distance runner, so he can run all over the court for hours.

I feel like my singles game is getting worse though, and I'm starting to get worried; has anyone else been in this situation?

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Try playing with your opposite hand :) It makes it very fun for you, and perhaps makes the game a little more fair. While your shots may not be as good as his, your strategy and tactics must surely be better..

The other option is to have him play half court while you play the full court.

By the way, where do you play in Ottawa?

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I don't think I could beat him if I switched to my left hand. I play at the RA centre.

4. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    My coach is about two flights higher than me so when we play singles he never smashes except on kills. He would keep hitting to my backhand to make me move and then drop, over and over to work on my footwork and endurance. Try doing that, if not just play all out. Or you can just clear over and over till he stays in the back then drop, both ways works on footwork and he'll get his clear down.

5. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I hardly ever smash on my friend as there wouldn't be any point, he's just not at a level to return full smashes.
    I try to play around with him, hit alot of clears, drop shots, mix it up. I guess my fear is, that I am playing 2nd and 3rd rate shots
    instead of the best or 1st rate shot. (He's not a bad player, like he can hit most shots) I think I might pick up bad habits because of this, and it will affect my competitive singles game.

Any thoughts?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

It is tougher to play against weaker players, I've found.

Not because I'm using lesser shots (I still try to place my shots as best I can), but because the weaker opponent usually hits half court shots that are not in my usual hitting zone. I don't want to kill them, else the rallies would be over very quickly, so I'll try to place them tactically.

The tough part is because his shots have no momentum in them, so I have to change my swing using a different striking action. This is the part that plays havoc with my swing and timing later when I go back to my normal game.

7. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

So true, I forgot to mention that. He does hit quite abit of half-court shots and weird miss hit
    shots that seems to work in his favour. A number times he has done some nice spinning nets shots, but they weren't on purpose!
    He was trying to clear! lol.

Cheers

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Wow it takes some skill to turn a lift into a tight spinning net shot lol. Even more skill to turn a clear into a net shot :p

Sometimes if you have no choice but to play against a weaker opponent, you should try to find a good match afterward. Or, if for instance your lift becomes less sharp after playing with him, take some time after the game to do consecutive drops while he lifts.

Have you tried beating him badly in singles? Does he still want to play after that? Maybe there's no reason for you to go easy on him or do poor quality shots that he can retrieve. It might be better to just put the shuttle to the ground. Maybe if you beat him very badly, he will be more willing to do drills.

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

the thing I find it difficult to play with friends that don't play hardcore badminton is I don't get into a rhythm like I would with my same level or even better players. when you play tough games, footwork, anticipation and rhythm are such key parts of a good game. but when you play weaker opponents, their shots are weaker (so it can mess with your footwork and rhythm). often I find myself getting to the bird too early and having to wait to hit my shot, which makes me lazy to get back into the point.

but playing weaker players can toughen your metal strengths. try to tell yourself to win 5 points straight without losing even if your opponent hits a fluke shot.

or, if it's just for fun, let your friend play halfcourt and you play full court. that way he/she can practice their hitting strokes and you can work on your court coverage and consistency. see if you can pin your opponent to one of the back corners from all areas of your court.

10. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've beaten him badly before, many times in fact, but he keeps on coming back for more. He's convinced that drills are
    a waste of time and that the only way to get better, is to play more games and on top of that, he has told me on
    several occasions, that he finds drills boring. Oh well...

11. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

You can tell him what my teacher told me: "you are not allowed to play games until I say so."

If I were you, since he's so convinced that playing games will make him better, I'd find other people for him to play with.

12. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    If you have no problem being mean, you can do what I do.
    Keep hitting just beyond his reach and get upset at him for not even trying to return the birds. Throw in a few insults about how your grandma is better than he is. Aim a few smashes at his head. If you need to rotate players every game, beat them really quickly so they get very little court time, then blame them for it.

Those are usually last resort tactics. Normally, I just tell them I want to mix it up and don't feel like playing against the same person all day long. People usually understand.

13. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

It's true that your footwork might get lazy since most of the returned shots are weaks and only halfcourt. Usually you have to make bunch of shots to get the halfcourt returned shots from your opponents and then you can put away. For me, I just work on my weak point i.e. backhand smashes, push him into one corners, xcourt lift /xcourt net, playing backhand only.

14. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    that can deffinetly be a tough situation to find yourself in. it is true that you can practice your strokes and everything but the thing that i find the most affective of ones game is that when you play somebody weaker you are for the greater majority of the time in control of the rally. this is not always the case when you play more advanced players and i find thats something that is just tough to simulate when playing agianst weaker players that cant put you into those sort of pressure situations and if you try and create them yourself there just not the same.

personally ill try and just practice strokes and mental toughness as well as whatever movement i can when playing them. im not going to lie ive done this before sometimes ill turn it into isolation and just hit to one corner for the entire rally seeing that i can win the point or not and ive done that for whole games almost. other times the score gets to 10-1 and i just loose interest because the game is simply to easy and at that point its just better to finish it off and get on with some training.

on the other note if your friend doesnt want to do drills thats a tough one, some people do need to understand that to get better you have to practice shots and playing games alone will not make you substancially better. you need to keep practicing the shots over and over to perfect them. well hopefully you will be able to get him to do some drills with you else best of luck with playing games aginst him.

15. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

yeah, I don't think I will be playing much with him anymore; he's kind of lost interest, and maybe a little tired of losing.
    He's so easy to beat that sometimes I relax my game so much, that I end up losing or almost losing...Of course he thinks I
    was trying my best and claims victory.lol. When I tell him I was taking it very, very easy on him, he doesn't believe me. That also frustrates me, that doesn't see that I was giving him free points and play silly shots just to give him a chance.
    It's a weird situation, because he's a good friend.

16. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    That situation is probably the best for you, he might get more competitive games with other people and you won't have to put up with him.

If he really thinks you were trying your best then I suggest that just one time you play him, concentrate on every point and hand him a vicious beatdown. It isn't particularly kind or sporting but he'll soon get the idea that there is a gulf between your levels. I encountered a player like your friend - he just wanted to play games and avoided focused practice. I played a close game with him once to try out some new things and then he got it in to his head that he could beat me. The next time we played I made a point of beating him 21-1.

If you do end up playing this person again, I suggest you try to focus on placement. Don't overpower him with your smash, make him run by putting the shuttle in the corners.

17. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

what about playing doubles with him? that way, if you guys play another pair around the same level, he can stay motivated and get practice, you can work on your reflex and shots (push, net, smash), and you two can continue to play together and buildup friendship? :)

18. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Maybe in your next game you can decide that, for five points in a row, you'll aim to play every single shot to his backhand side no matter what he does. Then for the next five points you'll play a clear followed by a drop followed by another clear followed by another drop...but don't tell him it's a drill ;-)

19. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I like Danstevens' suggestions. Though you're good friends, you've no obligation to play only him all days. You can allocate a small percentage of your play time to play with/against him (Singles/Doubles) for fun/bonding. But, yes, do convince him via actual games that you two are at very different levels. When you do play him, however, just work on areas that you'd like to improve, e.g. deception, stay relax, etc.

Do try to find/introduce him to some other players of about his level, so he can have some closer "real" games. When he wants to improve, you can let him know you're available.

#19 raymond, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you want to play with him, then try to improve your own weakness as well as try to make the game fun. For example, if you have great power game, but lack or net control, then try to practice more net strokes / net drop, instead of your usual bang-bang games. Your purpose for such game is not to determine whose better, or how many points you can win, but try to utilize the time to improve both sides.

Personally, I found such games are great to work on my consistency and placement. For example, when you drop, you can force yourself to drop the same spot over and over. This way, easy for your oppoents to catch and play a meangingful rally, and you can really use it as your own drill session.