What's is a "split"?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KYW917, Aug 7, 2010.

1. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

I keep hearing about splits and dropping into one.
    Not very familiar with badminton terminology. So what is it and when do I do it?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I think you're talking about the split drop or as it is sometimes called, split step (sometimes also simply "split"). You perform a split drop after you have returned to your base position it is generally timed to be just before, during or just after your opponent plays the shuttle on their side - this is down to personal preference really.

The split drop is quite difficult to explain in terms of the movement itself so here's a video.

[video=youtube;up5M-mirAcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI&feature=related[/video]

Peter Rasmussen demonstrates a footwork drill in this video. When he returns to his base position you will see him split drop. The split makes you load your leg muscles and puts you in a stable, balanced position to move to the next shot.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

^^Agree.

It loads your leg muscles and prepares your leg muscles to move quickly to your next shot, the direction of your leg movement depending on where you're anticipating the next shot to be.

4. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I didn't think that this is something that you would have to learn; I have been doing the "split step" for years, no
    one showed me how to do it or why to do it, it is just something that started to naturally occur as my level increased.
    Everyone is different I guess

5. indrato

indrato Regular Member

I play badminton for 5 years, but never done a split step. Just recently i try to learn it, Its quite difficult to timing it. The reason why i learn it, is because it help me to avoid being mislead by my opponent. I thought that my oponent try to drop but actually he is doing attacking clear or something like that. So by doing split step i can not move early because my feet is still in the air. I can move only after my opponent hit the shuttle. My timing is still far off so many times it is too early or too late. Well i just keep practising it.