What is "height advantage"?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aleik, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    The answer would seem obvious, but please read...

A former coach of mine once got us practicing shadow movement, and was baffled that I was slower than the rest of the group; he expected me to be the quickest because I had the longest legs. However, I was told that taller people have a higher centre of gravity, making it more difficult to move around, as it results in a lower turn of speed.

I've tried covering a corner in 3 steps and most of the time I struggle. I remember not even needing to think about my feet when I was younger and smaller.

In addition, I have a slight postural problem which may have resulted from my prolonged growth spurt.

I can't count how many people have said to me, "6ft 4? Well you clearly have the height advantage!" Apart from reaching overheads which a player of a more "average" height would struggle with, what exactly is the advantage of being taller?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

You can lounge further. Higher centre of gravity shouldn't be a problem unless you are standing up straight... which you shouldn't be doing anyway. You can also smash at a steeper angle. And cover a larger area (by leaning). I can't think of any disadvantages that can't be overcome with proper technique.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Don't know your age but at 6'4 you are quite tall. Some advantages for taller players:
    - your opponent(s) have to clear higher so you do not intercept it half way
    - your smashes and half smashes are steeper;
    - court coverage;

Tall people do not necessarily move faster, probably the opposite. For footwork badminton, taller people have to do more leg exercises to compensate - i.e. when returning low shots, it's more difficult for taller people to recover to their normal position. Ask your coach for overall body coordination exercises that may help you use your height to your advantage in badminton.

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

yeah same here, my coach told me that since i have long legs i should be fast. im not at as tall as you though, just merely 5'11.

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hi there i'm 6"3' and i've always envied my coaches turn of speed on court - i asked him how i could be as fast. to start with he analysed my singles game against him. Immediately he said that i was struggling to return to the base after plalying low net shots (not fast enuf to take them higher) he prescribed plenty of drills at the front to build leg strength and endurance and also alround drills to improve my speed and footwork - he also advised me to stretch more and spend some time each day extending my stretch by stretching the muscles extensively. After working out muscles are likely to tighten up and shorten, even with a good warm up and stretch - now my lunges are longer and faster - he has taught me to jump across court in order to cut out the shots faster and reduce the no. of steps i have to take around court. i am still not as fast as him - and probably never will be since he is much smaller but i have the height advantage - especially when smashing :D

Neil

6. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    Hey Neil,

I'm gonna try some of these drills you mentioned. Drills aren't a big part of my game but I'm sure they'll help big time. Only the lads I play withr egularly aren't that keen. I'm sure I can find a space and do them on my tod! :)

By the way, I pulled out of going to see the All Englands at the last minute. How are they suiting you? Have you got decent seats?

7. coops241180

Product Owner
    i only went for thursday's matches working over the weekend. i had good seats - saw the mens singles game sbetween Chen Yu an Xia Xuanze and the match between Chen Hong and Lee Tseung Seng, they were both fantastic - gave me a real inspirational boost to train harder and play better

8. eagle84

eagle84 Regular Member

Student
    i'm not 6'4 tall but i'm taller than average.. and my coach always tells me that one disadvantage to being tall is getting the low net shots.... 'cause you're so tall and its so low... yeahh.... just wanted to let u know

9. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

How long is your reach? Is that really a problem when you can reach it before it really falls that low?

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

so what kind of drills and stretches should we do in order to be much faster and lunge further?

11. coops241180

Product Owner
    Simple shuttle runs round the court suffice - my coach puts about 15 shuttles at the 4 corners on court and i have to knock one over every time i get to a point. my coach can do 40+ in two minutes. to get better stretch you have to stretch your muscles past what is comfortable - is usually do my normal stretches but slowly push them further and hold it for a further 30 seconds, i usually repeat this twice (it hurts too much to do it again) this ensures that the tendons and ligaments are fully extended and the liklehood of injury is reduced - i've recently been caught almost doing the splits when lunging in late on my shuttle runs. Coupled with training it's possible to jump back from this lunge and head to the other corner v. v.v. quickly. but i wouldn't recommed doing it often since it takes increases flexibility and very strong leg muscles to really benefit.

anway hope this helps

Neil

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Being tall....never had that problem, lol. I'm average...I think. lol. But once I played against a real tall boy, he's 6" plus. He's very good, takes him 2 steps to reach the net, from about half the court.