How get your opponent out of balance?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by greblu, Aug 26, 2010.

1. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Advanced players are always playing out of balance (avoiding unnessasary torques), so its hard to get points...
    What tactics and stroke combination (like 2x punch clear to backhand side, then drop backhand side etc..) are you using to get your opponent even a little bit out of balance, so you can get an advantage and can get the point?

2. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    sorry this is german-english leads to misunderstanding ... I mean they keep their balance the hole time.

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Deception is a great way to put someone slightly off balance. There are various ways to deceive an opponent, either from the shot itself or from your shot patterns.

To deceive with the shot, appear to make one shot and do another, or get in a multiple-threat position that enables you to do many shots with the same setup and appearance, e.g. racket in a net shot position at the net, enabling you to do a straight net shot, cross court net shot, straight push/lift, or cross-court push/lift). It is important that your body language "sells" the shot (for instance, you can jump up and imitate a big jump smash, but check the racket at the last minute to take the speed off). It is also important to get the shuttle as early as possible, so that you will have more options on your shots (e.g. you can only do certain shots effectively once the shuttle has dropped far below the net) and also because you can hit your shot before your opponent has fully recovered to his/her base position. If they're taking steps from the rear court to their base position, they will likely be off balance before they reach the base position (that is how a step works). Therefore, many coaches will tell you to shuffle back to your base position if you clear or drop.

To deceive with shot patterns, you must first be aware of the sequence of shots that you are making. Do you like to cross-court drop from the rear court on your forehand side a lot? If so, consider doing a reverse slice and sending the shuttle straight instead of cross court. When your opponent clears to you, do you like to clear back? If so, consider smashing or dropping instead. Your opponent will seldom be off balance if he is anticipating your shots correctly, but if you always keep him guessing, then you will be able to throw him off balance once in a while.

Hope this helps!

4. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I also forgot to mention that you can get your opponent out of balance by varying your pace of movement. If you suddenly inject pace into your movement and take the shuttle early, you may be able to hit your shot before your opponent has fully recovered to his base position (like I briefly mentioned above). An example would be if your opponent does a straight clear to you and you jump up and smash cross court before they've returned to the center of the court.

What I like to do is to always vary my shots to keep my opponent guessing. There are certain shot patterns that I like to make, and I'll continue to make them if I'm getting points with them, but if I sense that my opponent is starting to anticipate certain shots, I'll purposely feed him false information by pretending that I'll follow my usual shot pattern, but actually changing it up with a different shot. It's supremely important that you are able to generate power with short strokes, as well as making sure your body language and stroke look the same for any shot you do in a particular corner. It's helpful to get a camera and record yourself so you can see if there's anything that gives away your shot.

5. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    It can come to a point where you have to just outperform your opponent.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

+2 thejym

Also a change of shot power. To throw off their timing.