How to counter in doubles when the person serves to the T

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Yodums, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

So, I was playing tonight and one guy kept serving up the T. I kept making stupid mistakes like my drops weren't even getting close to the net and sometimes I snapped it back him and sometimes it went out. Is there any other way to counter this move? I hate it but it feels good to do it on someone! hwe hwe! :)

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Net shot - center and 2 sides
    Drives - Down the 2 sides (inbetween the 2 pplz), 2 back corners
    Lift - Back Alley on the 2 corners perferably

Or you can jump the bird if he serves too high :D

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

if you're having a hard time with net shots then just clear the bird to the back.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why don't you stand closer?

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I do but he stands all the way on the back of the other court and his serve basically stay on my opponents side for 90% of the flight and then hits my corner!

6. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

So, that means you have ample time to see it coming and rush it if it is the least bit too high :eek: (an inch or so is all I need).

Once you're at the net, ready to intercept, you have the option of either dropping it to the net to take advantage of your opponent's rear position or pushing it to his body or the backside square (my favorite spot) once he's been "trained" to rush forward after a few drop dead net shots. :D

Cheers,

Mike

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If he stays all the way back on his side, drop him on his front corner. If he stays in the front, and his partner is in the back, drop them on his partner's front corner. If ur net game is not good enough yet, then practice ur drop.

An alternate way could be, using high clear to "buy time" for ur side, if the serve is really to a nasty angle and hard to drop back. Try to high clear to the back person's backhand.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I guess this is what I'll stick by since most of the time I drop it and since he's standing so far back, he has to dig it up.

He tries to serve the bird flat and fast to the back.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If he tries to do this (assume also aim the middle line), try to intercept it before it reches back. Since it's flat, u should be able to block it, without even jumping.

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

That's what I do sometimes but .. sometimes it goes out since he's standing on the right and so am I. I think I'm going to try dropping to the right corner.

Yodums

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yodums,

Are you refering to the return of a drive serve?

When you refer to the 'T', is that in the forecourt or the rearcourt?

12. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Rear .... at the back service line. Sorry for the confusion.

Yodums

13. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

That does change everything indeed. I also do those from time to time, but from the front right corner to the rear T. If the opponent cheats too much in that direction, I'll also slice it across the net to his right front corner.

The tendency is for the opponent to return the shuttlecock where it came from, i.e. to my right corner, providing an easy kill. I've been on the receiving end of those as well and they are pretty annoying, that's for sure.

The only thing I can say is, don't hesitate to step out of your court half as soon as you see the bird going for the rear T. That will provide you with more options and angles. Be careful to not anticipate too soon though because he might just aim for the opposite front right corner.

Cheers,

Mike

14. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

WSBA Newsletter Article

Check out this article
    Go to BadmintonCentral.com
    Click Techniques
    and see "Receiving the Wide Serve from the Alley in Doubles"

Neil

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good point.

Also, make sure don't stand too close to the front line. If you do, u will limit ur options, and will have a difficult time to return if he serves to another corner.

Try to keep distance about 2 steps behind the line. This way, none of the corners will be ur "deadly spot", give u more freedom to get to the bird on time.

16. bigredlemon

I find that standing near the front is actually pretty good... especially against players less skilled than you are. If you stand right near the front line, you are able to kill any shots that are slightly high. They'll be making lots of high shots considering how menacing you'll look that close! It also encourages to serve to the back, which allows you to smash it right back at them. It's a win-win situation.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Errrr...

Against less skillful ppl, there's a lot of ways u can win. However, in a long run, especially against more skillful ppl, I think right at the front will take away a lot of oppotunity from u when receiving serves.

18. bigredlemon

Not nessarily.. what opportunities are taken away?

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

2 steps behind service line give u "reachable" distance no matter where ur opponent serves. Standing way too much to the back or front, certain area (especially corners) will be harder to cover.

20. bigredlemon

It really depends upon your stance. Stand with left (non-racquet) foot forward with all your weifht on it, knees slightly bent, and the right foot stretched back behind you, knees straight. If you stand like this at the front centre, you able to jump forward if the serve is high, or jump back plus a step if the serve is to the far back. There's plenty of time to go whereever you need to.

and the pressure on your opponent to serve very low will cause him/her to serve very low will cause quite a few errors... easy free points. If s/he serves even remotely high, you're in a great position to kill it. If the serve is to the back, you can smash it back. Since you're so close to the front, they have to serve high to be out of your racquet range. It takes at least two seconds for such a serve to fall to the ground, which gives you lots of time reach the end of the court. You can probably make it back there in less than a second if you react fast.

The only real disadvantage if they do a low flick along the middle of the court. This should be too problematic if you react fast enough. I know this sounds hard but it's suprisingly easy after giving it a few tries.