wrong technique/training (work out, not really badminton related)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Jan 11, 2011.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys, so I'm now 20 years old.

but when i was 16, i always worked out everyday or every other day by doing body weight exercises.

i would do non stop push ups and pull ups until im tired. to be more exact i would do like 200 push ups and around 80 pull ups total.

I also worked with 15 lbs dumbbells doing all kinds of exercises (though I ignored the legs)

in addition to all that i never stretched before my work outs, and i did all of the above for around 2 years until im 18; and keep in mind i do them almost everyday.

ok so when i turned 19 or sometime around 2009 i found out that i cant do no more than 5 push ups and only 1-2 pull ups max. when i try to do them, my shoulders feel heavy and tense.

im starting to stretch now and i guess im more flexible than before, but im 20 now and nothing has changed. i can barely do 10 push ups let alone 2 pull ups.

i dont feel pain at all either, but my shoulders (or just my right/racket arm shoulder) feels really heavy.

i WOULD visit a doctor but im a foreign student in the united states, so i dont have insurance lol...

what do you guys think could be the problem? i only speculate that the things i mentioned above are the reason that contributed to my problem (i cant thikn of other reasons that could contribute to it). but i never realized i was overtraining until recently; or was i overtraining?

do you guys think this can be cured? or fixed? or whatever the accurate medical term is :)

2. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Haven't you just lost the strength through not excercising also you will more than likely weigh than when you were 15 which makes bodyweight excersies harder.
    If you are not in pain why don't you just workout and see if your strength improves. Also if you are playing badminton your shoulders maybe tired. Best not working them the same days as badminton, if you do, do it before playing.

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Hmm, giant_q_tip, have you compared your weight when you were 16 to when you were 20? Do you still exercise like you did before? When i was 14-15 i was did parkour, free running and stuff like that. I could hang myself horizontally from my a pole for an extended period of time. Pull ups were easy as hell, effortless, i could like 30 full length pull ups before. and now, i can barely do 5 pull ups and i don't even attempt parkour because i don't have the upper body strength anymore to support my mass. Anyways, it could have been the substantial weight difference? i was like 130 and now im 170 haha plus, i haven't worked out in years. soooo, no way i could do anything i did when i was 14-15 lol

Anyways, like the guy said above, if you aren't in pain just try to get back into a normal workout routine and see how you feel. however, if you feel pain please go do see a doctor so you don't injure yourself further :p

4. giant_q_tip

no no i sitll weigh the same. im 5"10 and 135 lbs. yes im skinny. but if anything i became toned because of doing those bodyweight exercises. but my weight is still the same as it was 6 years ago (14 years old). i cant seem to gain weight.. but its really not a priority of mine. i eat a lot, mixture of junk and healthy foods (i dont watch my diet)

basically i exercised because it was a hobby. i wasnt aiming to get bigger or stronger (i know weird), but it was a filler for my free time.

i try going back by pushing myself and exercising until im tired. i can work out with weights BUT i cant do any BODYWEIGHT exercises that are intense like push ups and pull ups. at least i cant do more than 10. i still do like 5 of them everytime i exercise now, but i sort of give up because i can never ever get past 10 because by like the 8th, my shoulders would feel extremely heavy.

but perhaps i did lose strength, but i never took any long breaks to be honest. well... maybe i should regain my strength slowly? assuming its a strength problem; but its just crazy how i lost so much strength in such a short time. i do around 10 push ups and POOF. i cant do anymore, not even after a couple of mins rest

#4 giant_q_tip, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a great expert in this field but hopefully I can give you a little bit of advice. It's a fairly long time since you had a serious training routine so you can't expect to be in the same kind of shape you were then. To get the best results from training like that, it's important to give your body some time to recover. Don't try to do everything you could do in 2008 right away now in 2011 - build yourself up slowly. Be sure not to overwork yourself and by taking days off between your days of training, you'll make your long term goals more achievable and you'll be less likely to get injured.

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    best is make an appointment with a sports doctor and tell him what happen :)

let him or her examine you :D

to me, you have injuries and this could be from over training.

with your weight even for a normal person

who has never done those exercises before

i think most of them can do at least 10 push ups or at least 5 pull ups:D

so if you could not do it now, it could be some sort of injuries

and seeing that doctor is the best :D

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Your strength should recover, but you should leave 2 days between doing exercise on the same part of the body to allow it to recover properly.
    Monday: Abs + Lower back, Tuesday: Chest + Upper Back, Wednesday: Arms + Shoulders, Thursday: Abs + Lower back, etc...
    On the days you play Badminton try to avoid weights, if you are going to do weights do it after the badminton.

Could you give me more details of your training and the weight your use?
    Just things like above, what days you do what area and a rough estimate of the weight you can do.
    I study SportScience and we do a lot about muscular disuse, atrophy and rehabilitation. You may need a doctor, but I will see if I know anything that might help

8. giant_q_tip

hey guys thanks for the reply. i would visit a doctor but as i said above i dont have the money for it since i dont have insurance (im a foreign student)

but yes sure Andy :) thanks a lot any input would be great

when I was sixteen i began exercising on my own. I wasn't aware of a lot of things in my exercises like for instance I never stretched, and I wasn't sure if I was doing my exercises correctly.

But at that time, I began doing a lot of push ups and pull ups until failure. I also mix my exercises with 15 lbs dumbbells. so basically, for instance, if on monday I work using body weight exercises, then tuesday i would work with dumbbells. also i ignored the lower body completely (the legs)

anyway i was doing like 100-200 push ups before failure and 60-80 pulls up. i just dove right in without stretching and everything was fine. also i didnt follow a diet. as mentioned above, i exercised just to fill in my free time and i ate and drank whatever (not alcohol; i dont drink :D)

so i did everything i wrote above for three years until im 19. i RARELY took a break. perhaps my longest break was 2 days and i got back to exercising again. one day after turning 19 (in 2009) i tried doing a push up and pull up and couldnt do any. so i figured oh well... maybe i REALLY need to take a rest. so then i took a break for 1 week. i got back into it and still coudln't 5 push ups with ease.

eventually after a lot of failures i stopped doing body weight exercises because i figured i was overtraining (3-4 times a week i would do them until failure)

over the course of two years from 2009 until now 2011 i would try to give push ups and pull ups a try and i still cant do much of them.

also i play badminton (which is why im here) and i was never coached. my hitting technique has been wrong (i was throwing my arm, rather than swinging as if im throwing a ball) and my techinque was like that for i guess 2 years. in that time, after i play badminton i would feel pain in my right trap muscle. like something stings inside; ok maybe it didnt sting but there was some pain going on in there.

so i dont know what went wrong. what contributed to this problem im having? is it because i overexercised, or didnt stretch or perhaps this wrong technique did the damage to me?

im sort of blaming the badminton technique thing because when i do a push up, that pain sometimes resurfaces in the right trap muscle. it feels minor which is why i didnt really emphasize it in my previous posts.