confusion....sweet spot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by love_you_always, Jan 12, 2011.

1. love_you_always

love_you_always Regular Member

student
    Q1, are all the racquet's sweet spot in the middle of the frame?
    Q2, my friend told me that to have the most powerful smash, you should hit the shuttle slightly higher than the sweet spot(kinda nearer to the top), is that correct? or should all shuttles be hit with the middle of the frame to produce the best power/control?

thnx

2. harrald

harrald Regular Member

Q2 sounds like a good way to break a lot of strings ;-). Yes, you will gain momentum, but loose a bit of the power generated by the frame/strings. I highly doubt if the momentum will compensate for that; nice physics question or research assignment for a highschool kid ;-)

H.

3. pupubear

pupubear Regular Member

Student
    For Q1, I won't say it locates on the acutally middle part of the frame, but very close to. On theory, the sweet spot sould be at the part where the strings are longer than other area. Consequently, the racket with isometric shape frame has larger sweet spot than oval shape one.
    For Q2, I reckon your friend meant that you should hit the shuttlecock on the upper part of sweet spot to transfer your energe efficiently, in stead of the middle or lower part, because the sweet spot is an area, not a point.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

The centre of the sweet spot is actually slightly lower from the centre of the racket.

But for powerful smashes, it's better to hit at the top end of the sweet spot, as the increase in swing speed and leverage will more than compensate for the slightly weaker hitting area.

5. ducbum

ducbum New Member

yes it is. Its so so power if you master this technique