muscle power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Some Person, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Some Person

Some Person Regular Member

not talking about the raquet muscle power here. but the muscle power on any shot of the feather what so ever...
    i try hitting my backhand, all i can do well is my lift, or soetimes my nets. i can never get my bh smash, clears or drives any good. and my coach made me do the drive with a tennis raquet. and i saw a guy in my training group, after almost 2 and a half hours of intense training, played a maths with a squash raquet!!! how do you generally obtain such muscl power???
    faithfully...
    ...me

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well, you can't backhand smash unless you mastered the step before it, the actual backhand.

Since you mentioned you're lifting it. It seems that you aren't getting behind the bird and you're contacting the bird from underneath. For drives you have to hit the bird as soon as possible and as far out as possible. If you keep it close to the body you're going to pop it up at least a bit.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Muscle power has VERY little to do with it. Successful stoke production is a product of good technique.

4. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Well said ;) Ever wondered why a flail (wooden sticks linked by chain links or leather thongs like some Chinese martial arts weapons) generates more striking velocity than a straight stick of equivalent length would with an identical effort?

The answer lies in natural Laws of Physics:

1\ Transfer of momentum occurs as the segment closest to your body (your upper arm) decelerates. Unless you interfere with this natural transfer, say by playing with tense muscles or tendons (i.e. by muscling it or using a tight grip), velocity will increase on its own.

Remember that momentum = mass * velocity and notice that the mass involved diminishes as momentum transfers from arm to forearm to racket.

2\ The radius of gyration also shrinks as the fulcrum of rotation shifts from shoulder to elbow to wrist. This also contributes to higher velocity.

Cheers,

Mike

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

it is all about arm pronation. if you get the pronations right, you'll be able to execute most of the shots you couldnt do. Once that happens, start finding ways to increase your strength. Btw, coaches usually emphasise to use around the head instead of backhand. Except for drives ofcourse. So try it out.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, muscle surely important, but I think the following rank way above that:

1. foot step: u need to get to the proper spot

2. hitting spot: hit the bird with ur racket at the sweet spot, at the right angle.

3. timing: not too early, not too late

4. ur opponent position: u don't want to clear right to him, and let him return u a deadly smash

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Muscles are trained by repetition. Since the load placed on them by hitting a shot is fairly light, the muscles will not become large, but they will become more efficient.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If you have the muscle power to open a can of beer, you also have the muscle power to hit perfect clears -- if you have the right technique.

9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

You mean the muscle will contract faster... Kind of like how the leg muscles of sprinters can flex faster than ours. Though anyway it takes minimal effort to hit in badminton so technique is the key. When I switch racquets, it takes me a game or two to get my timings right. Otherwise, the racquet produce very little power.

#9 bigredlemon, Mar 29, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2003
  10. Californian

Technique is important, but in order to execute proper technique, he has to practice it over and over. That's where the muscle training comes from. He can enhance this by increasing the load with weight training or swinging a heavy racquet

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    My point is, excercise muscles on court, under badminton-lik circumstances with racquet (badminton/squash/tennis), rather than in a gym using weights.

12. Californian

I personally believe that resistance (weight) training away from the court can be used for improving the performance of muscles used in badminton, and the more the excercise can simulate the motion used in playing, the better. I would also insist on including drills and playing as part of the all-around program because the way all the muscles work together to produce good results cannot be simulated.

Using a heavy racquet for training is a good method, but I don't think using weights needs to be excluded.

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I was writing in response to "Some Person", who has problems executing backhand clears and drives. I was suggesting that the solution to his/hers problems lies in technique training, not strength training. Let's stick to the subject, OK? Of course, if one wishes to play at a high level, off-court strength training is a necessity. But that was not really the issue here.

;)

14. Californian

The benefits of proper weight training apply to everyone, from the raw beginner on up, including Some Person and his backhand.

I never disagreed about the importance of technique.

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

It's easier to train the muscles, though i think you'll get much more out of learning the right technique

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would have reservations about encouraging weight training at such an early stage.

It would be quite easy to train muscles to produce an inefficient stroke technique.

I managed to improve power simply by training with a badminton racquet, repetition and improvement of technique. No weights at all.

ie. too much emphasis on the muscle power in this thread. The path to the final objective is more arduous.