backhand swing? how to properly do it?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Feb 14, 2011.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys

ive been searching for videos online and none of them were that helpful in showing me how to properly do a backhand swing (for overhead clears to begin with)

what helped me with my forehand overheads is learning that the swing is similar to throwing a ball..

is the backhand swing analogous to anything at all??? (i sort of doubt it, but perhaps someone can come up with something.. :D)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

To go along with analogies, the backhand stroke is like whipping a towel to kill a fly with the towel tip. Hence the whole arm should be relaxed as much as possible. At the same time the forearm goes thru supination. Point of impact is a sudden strike with almost a rebound action.

#2 visor, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hmmm ok. i can definitely picture that. should my elbow be fully extended or slightly bent during the moment of impact? because it sort of feels painful when it is extended straight up.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

There should not be pain, obviously. Elbow should have slight angle, never fully extended at impact because that would lock out the joint and transfer forces into the joint, which will definitely cause injury.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Straightened joints do not bring in as much control as bended joints

Just to add in more info;

In all sports (Badminton or not), all joints (elbow, knee, etc...) are best to be not straightened.

Straightened joints do not bring in as much control as bended joints.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Another word for the backhand hitting action is a sharp tapping action. The elbow should remain bent and relaxed throughout, and don't reach too high when you are learning - the temptations to over reach are all too tempting --> "maybe if i reach just a little more, I don't have to move as much!"... oh dear :(

Remember, remain relaxed the whole way through and your hand should be slightly cocked back. Use a bevel grip most of the time, and practice practice practice :)