Shuttle gets behind me

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by blackvans1234, Mar 16, 2011.

1. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

Many a times, when I am playing, an attacking clear will send me scrambling in order to avoid the shuttle getting behind me.

Im thinking about this problem, and I have come up with a couple possible reasons
    1) Poor footwork to rearcourt
    2) Base position is too far up

I'm thinking it is more poor footwork than anything. If so, how can I increase my speed to get to the rearcourt? (practice right?)

What really stinks is that I play with beginners, so they never use high clears, only attacking clears. Maybe I am just not forcing them to use high clears. Or maybe they are too weak to send a high clear.

What do you think?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

No offense but I find it interesting that you call them beginners but state that your footwork is poor enough that they can push attacking clears behind you.

In the end it probably is footwork and yes it's about practice but some work in the gym for strengthening also helps a lot.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Good that you have analysed your problem

Good that you have analysed your problems, namely;

(1) Poor footwork to rearcourt
    (2) Base position is too far up

However, there is one thing that you can do (to prevent them from doing their Attacking Clears to you);

You start to do your Attacking Clears to them first, before they get a chance to do theirs to you. :):):)

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Chris is right.

May I add, also practice focus and reflex. I have seen many players with good foot work technique but just simply late to react.

5. cliffordgooi

cliffordgooi Regular Member

Accountant
    When you move to the rear court, you should be moving with the side of your body facing the net and your feet will be lunging sideways. Along with proper footwork, you will be able to increase your speed.

6. blackvans1234

@ Druss
    Point to you (what was I thinking, im just a bad as they are lol)

Sidenote- All Americans could be considered beginners at badminton if you ask me :p

Chris- The reason why I analyze the problem is because I am only able to play once a week at a location with three courts with 18 people wanting to play, so we gotta wait!

I however have utilized the tennis court at my apartment complex to make an outdoor badminton court, so I may put my dignity on the line and take video of us playing there for some constructive critisism from you wonderful folks here at BC. This new court brings a host of new problems, such as moderate windage, having our net be adequate height, and size of the court (please don't lecture me on size of the court, i know its 44 ft long, 17ft wide/ 20ft wide, blah blah)

You wouldnt believe how bad I just want to be able to play badminton at a normal place, maybe twice a week (closest place is 1.5 hours each way)

7. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    hold on!! i have 1 question too....what if ...ur opponent hit the shuttle behind you and you have not enought time to go behind it? how do you play that shot?? if possible post a vid =DDDDD

8. smellyropp

smellyropp New Member

Student
    backhand clear?

9. druss

druss Regular Member

Realistically, beginners place too much of an emphasis on smashing and hitting hard. Speed/footwork around the court is more important IMO as if you can't get to it, it doesn't matter how hard you can hit it...

In order to practice court movement you don't even need a net. Just put cones (or something) at the correct positions to mimic the corners of the court and do shadow drills.

10. blackvans1234

I agree

I dont think i posted anything about me hitting hard or smashing

Many times, it seems as though the harder you try to hit a shot (using more power, and you just really want to smash the shuttle) the more often you screw up [lack of practice, I know]

11. druss

druss Regular Member

It was more of a general observation. I know a lot of beginners if they're in the right place at the right time they can smoke a pretty hard smash but... it rarely happens because they are so slow or off balance. On my high school team we did very little footwork drills, on my college team we did more footwork drills than anything else.

12. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    There are a few ways to deal this situation which you have already analyzed.

1. Good Footwork.(It will take time and practice)
    2. You gaining the first attack and win the rally without giving many chances to the opponents. Start with a low serve, force them to lift and you drop/smash/attacking clear. That way, they will be foreced to play passively.
    3. Another important point is, telling your opponents that "you need to be careful, otherwise I will punish you". Many a times, you will be able to cut of the cttacking clear if you just make a chase and leap from the base.Take chances, challenge yourself and if you are successful a couple of times, then their clears will be higher-less attacking.
    NP

13. blackvans1234

Thank you to both of you, and druss, high school team, college team?!
    Very jealous!