lost on what to do to progress?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by IX-MATT-XI, Mar 17, 2011.

1. IX-MATT-XI

IX-MATT-XI Regular Member

student
    So I train 3 times a week, and one session is a performance centre. However I feel I'm to advanced for the group now and am a little older then the others (rlly not trying sound big headed :/ )

The coach's won't move me up to the next group as they say its full :S. I don't feel like I am getting the coaching either, as the coach for my group isnt tht gd.

So my question is should I leave? as i dnt feel im improving or getting the coaching I need to progress. Also how do I find a higher level club and better coach;s to train me?

appriciate any advice, thankyou.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Check with the local, provincial/state, or national badminton associations to see what is available for coaching.

3. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Join local tournaments if you are not just a casual player. See how far you go. If you are good enough, you wont need to find a new coach. They will come and look for you! In fact, make a mini competition in your current group and if you win it, they will have no choice but to move you on to the senior group.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You need to get the coach of the performance centre to assess your current level of play and to provide a development plan. It's important that you work on it together so that you understand whats required. You can then show this to your other coach or even ask that the two coaches co-operate on your way forward. You need also to understand that coaches have different beliefs, strengths, and experience. For example, some are better at spotting technique flaws and sorting them, others may be better at tactical awareness etc. Some work well with smaller groups whereas others may be great at organising large groups. It's important to take information and process it yourself to find what works for you as you'll come across all kinds of little gems from different people.

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I have been in the same situation in my county squad.
    Chat to your coach, ask if the session above is full, then what do you have to do to force your way in there? If Lin Dan was only in squad 2 because squad 1 was full it wouldn't make sense.
    If you recieve just rubbish feedback then you need to push yourself.

A great way to keep yourself interested, is that if you can beat everyone in your group...
    Play a whole match and do not allow yourself to play certain shots.
    For example -
    //Don't play any smashes// - Win games without having to hit it hard, some people have great defences, so if you can win without hitting hard then you are prepared to play them.
    //whenever they lift the shuttlealways hit down// - don't play any clears, you will have less recovery time and it'll mean you will have to improve your footwork to allow yourself to get to the next shot quickly
    //never finish a rally off// - keep the shuttle in all the time, play slower smashes and try to keep your play consistent, it'll train your endurance and make you play slower shots, you can win a rally by a good cross court net shot or a good quality drop shot rather than a net kill.
    //don't ever lift (Stay on attack)// - always block net and drive, especially in doubles prevent the opponents getting on the attack, even if they are covering the net block to the other side.
    //Always lift (stay in defence)// - Constantly give the opponent the attack and work on your smash defence, do good cross court blocks/blocks to the nets, lift the smashes.

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    are you actually better than everyone else in your group? or do you just 'feel' like you're better?
    Do you beat everyone in your group outright? without having to go to 3 sets to win (ever)? and beating them by more than 6 points every time?
    If so, you're in the wrong group. If not, keep trying.

7. IX-MATT-XI

IX-MATT-XI Regular Member

student
    thanks for the info so far, and yes ^^ the most anybody rlly gets is about 10-12 range :/

8. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    if the best anyone can get is 10-12 off you. find another group, or charge money to be playing with them cuz you're essentially babysitting a bunch of n00b players. You're not going to learn anything training with guys you can beat with your eyes closed.