Need advice for strange problem (cant chose a hand)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Neffri, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Heya folks!
    Long time reader, first time poster on this forum.

Im a amateur player who plays somewhere in the range of 2-4 times a week and i have quite the strange problem. I cant decide which hand to use. I read a thread here about someone who had quite the similar problem but figured i could start a new thread instead of stealing his.

The thing is it feels like my left hand is more technical then my right one. But my right one has way way more power. In the end i serve with my left hand and then i switch back and forth after that. I can do clears with my left hand but the result is very varying while my right hand clears and smashes are quite consistent.
    This is starting to get quite frustrating since i want to improve my game and it feels like its time to decide for a hand and maybe even get a decent backhand :p

Anyone got any thoughts on how to get to the best results quickest here, i really hate losing :p But understand that that will be the case for a while when i change my play style.

Might be able to upload a youtube video of how it looks when i play now if that can help in any way.

Thx for any advice

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sometimes having a choice is not a blessing!

many of us have enough problem just playing with one hand. :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Which hand do you write, brush teeth with?

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Choose the dominant hand, it's going to learn the skills it doesn't have yet faster. Switching hands can work at a lower level of play but as you get into better games it just slows you down. In the end, make a choice and stick to it.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If the smash and clear are more accurate and more powerful with the right hand, then it sounds like you merely have to learn to serve with your right hand to become "uni-dextrous".

But only you can answer your question as to which hand to use. Pick one and work work work on it. :)

6. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

For that i use my left hand. But for stuff like throwing a ball i use my right. And using a hammer to hit down a nail i can do with both.
    Im quite "two handed" with everything i do, and guessing that is the reason i have this problem :(

7. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Run forward and lunge. Whichever foot you instinctively put out in front of you, that is the hand you use

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Kenzo has just given some great advice! Playing is not necessarily determined by which hand you use... but which way your feet are wired to work! Playing shots with the wrong hand is easy for me - I don't have lots of power left handed, but can hit most of the basic strokes (from having to demonstrate with both hands for learners, some people want to see a mirror image, and others don't!). However, changing my footwork to incorporate the left handedness, such as trying to perform footwork to a front corner, I am so used to doing it right handed, trying to lunge "left handed" is very strange indeed :) that split second instinctive movement at the beginning, that defines how quick you are, is difficult to wire up in two ways!

I am not in the same position as you, because I don't actively use my left hand in play, but I think as kenzo suggests: find out which lunge is most natural for you, then use that one! It will make the footwork easier :) (OR you can learn to easily switch footwork mid rally too, then I suggest learning a good backhand and full array of shots with both hands, and become the ultimate singles nightmare).

Note, you must always be able to play backhand strokes, purely from the perspective of playing the net or defending - it is too quick to have time to switch!

Matt

9. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Thats some really nice advice. I will try it out next time i get to play. Come to think of it there has been some situations where ive felt really awkward. Holding the racket in one hand and trying to lunge with the incorrect foot. Now i just have to figure out which one it was haha.

I do use the backhand a lot when playing the net. Both with my right and left hand, mostly cause there is not time to switch. But no problem there getting the shuttle all the way to the back court with either hand.

So when i decide for a hand the problem will mostly be my back court backhands besides smash/clears or serves/precision

10. visor

visor Regular Member

I would say then use your left.

Because being a lefty on the court has a distincPet advantage against most opponents who don't play agains lefties much, whether singles or doubles. Plus the right brain is associated with spatial function, so it's directly in control of the left.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Visor: that said, I love playing lefties, because they often try out their "standard lefty" tactics. Very amusing when they try this and realise they ain't foolin anybody :)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, but you don't count as most opponents. :)

Most importantly though in doubles, a left right combo is deadly. 3 of the top 5 MD pairs are so, more than would be seen in the general population.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Very true, but then again, there are a lot of deadly same handed pairings too. I think something about being professional and amazing makes them so awesome. However, you are right, pairing with a lefty creates some unusual attacking options :)

14. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

No!!! I urge you to find time to train both hands and footwork.
    It's a blessing to be ambidextrous.

I wish I were, then I wouldn't have to take a break from the courts just because my right shoulder and wrist are injured.

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If law of badminton allows wielding 2 rackets, maybe you can pull it off. It's just that your footwork drills will be unique. And presumably you'd never need to play any backhand, or overhead shots anymore. :)