Dealing with pressure

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, May 5, 2003.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Here's my problem, our school is playing against the #2 and #3 teams in our league...we're A league by the way. Well, just last thursday i managed to get into varsity and played boys doubles #3. My partner didnt make grades the following week and i end up playing with someone better. After challenging today, we managed to snag the #2 spot which is a really bad idea in my opinion since i dont have much experience playing in varsity position. So here comes the problem, how do i get over this pressure? I play tomorrow against the #3 team by the way--its only my second time playing varsity and i've never competed in tournaments before either--...

Just letting you know, everything is on the line...our record and pride as a team. We have been league champions for the past 7 years and hoping to be 8 years this year. In order to maintain the championship title, we need to win both games. Our last meeting with the teams ended up being a very close game. The score was...

My school, #3 school: (8,7)
    My school, #2 school: (8,7)

It would have been that we needed only to beat the #3 team to maintain our championship title, but because the #2 team protested that cheated and won. We have a loss on our record. However, they themselves have a loss because they played an ineligible player and by doing so they have to forfeit. We need to beat the #2 team to show them that we did not cheat and won fair and square.

So please help me overcome this pressure...give me some ideas or something...

2. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Automotive Service Technician Apprentice and Colle
    About all the pressure your getting, just relax buddy. The more you think about it the worse it'll get. Just plan all your stuff ahead of time. Stratagies, practice etc etc.

And about the cheating part? How can you cheat in badminton? Other than bribing the officials, I couldn't think of any other way? And did they have proof that you cheated? Just words without evidence isn't good enough. I think this is just another case of SORE-LOSER-ITIS, a condition where sore losers think they should of won instead of the opponnet and many other thing related to being a sore loser. I feel sorry for sore losers because it's just sad looking at them. If I lost, I would of just taken it as a lesson to improve on certain things in the game of badminton, if not the whole spectrum of badminton.

Tare Panda

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

okay so yeah...we beat the first team...10-5 i think or was it 9-6. During my game i wasnt nervous at all so i played pretty well. The first game was 15-5, then the second was 5-15. I dont know what happened during the second, everyone was like...what happened to you guys? So for the third game we beat them 15-2. I hope we win thursday's game.

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hmm... I don't think it's very beneficial for a team to build itself so high up, and put so much pride into it, because it's a longer fall. First place is the toughest position because you're required to always win. Plus, all the record and pride stuff is only going to put more stress on a newer team member. I don't disagree that it's a very nice thing to have, but when you state that "everything is on the line," it sounds as if you'll be cut if you lose!

I put pressure on myself to make it to OFSAA, and so at my first qualifying tournament, I was pretty nervous. Usually the first round is an easy win, and I use it to get my jitters out. Well, the next game was against a guy I had easily beaten at my school before, so I must have taken him too easy, and he won the first 11-4. (we were playing to 11 except finals) All I wanted to do the whole match was win, so I was thinking too much, and making the game too hard for myself. I won in three, but it wasn't a comfortable victory. Next match, I was like "I don't care whether I win or lose, I'm just going to play my best." I was so relaxed, I won easily since I didn't care too much about winning. :D Of course, you don't want to make it look like you're not trying, because if you lose, your school team might get pretty mad at you!

So, the moral of the story is, you can take pressure off yourself when you don't care too much about winning. A coach told me "Don't try too hard to win. Just try to play your best, and the winning will take care of itself." Another quote I heard was from Isiaeh Thomas (coach of Indiana Pacers) about how one of his players was within reach of a 40-point game, and the crowd was chanting "40!," and his concern that the player might forget about his team and play selfishly to get more points. He had told the player that if you "Stay true to the game, and the game will stay true to you.," which is basically along the same lines of the first.

Phil

5. Sweet Yave

Sweet Yave Regular Member

Student
    Pressure...lol i know that feeling so well...
    I played mixed for the school tournament and my partner is really really gd, and i was so scared i'd screw up and not even get to ofsaa...
    When I was able to do what my partner told me tho, relax, just taking it point by point, I actually played a lot better. The more I thought about why I felt pressure, the more nervous I got...so i'd say (even tho I couldn't do that myself most of the time) just don't think about it. go for every shot, not thinking about winning, and focusing on getting it over...:p