Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龙大 ) / Ko Sung Hyun ( 고성현 / 高成铉 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by visor, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    And bam they got out played again :(

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

They definitely handled it better though (in spells).
    Were a bit unlucky at the end of the second set. If they do even better next time they meet, then it could turn out very exciting :)

3. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

I agree more positive this time and As/Set did love their net cords. I think the indo pair are really playing great at the moment. But i do think they could be a pair to be the worlds best one tournement and then go out in the 1st round the next. Where as Ko and LYD are pretty consistent. The world championships will be very exciting. Maybe Yoo and shin could be darkhorses?

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    They were a lot better. During the 2nd game they looked like they were adjusting their play to conteract the Indo pairs tactics. A few more gsmes and they should get the better of them.

5. MonkeyMadness

Just a small point - did anyone else think LYD was being a bit of a spoilt child by constantly returning the shuttle to the far left or right after losing points instead of to the middle? That just shows his opponents are getting to him.

6. SolsticeOfLight

A lot of players do that.
    So yes, childish, but probably taught it as part of the psychological game.

7. MonkeyMadness

Yeah i have seen players do it before, like hitting it high and to the back or 2mm onto the opponents side but the way he did it was very unlike the koreans. Also i can only see a psychological advantage to your opponents.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I'll have to watch it again, but imho from his facial expression I think he was just trying to replay the shot he just missed?

9. SolsticeOfLight

He did it lots of times.

10. lilmizsara

lilmizsara Regular Member

Researcher
    Interesting - would have to watch him carefully again. I tend to pay more attention to Ko heh ^^ But what bothers me more, in the recent tournaments.. actually this thing about him has always bothered me since he started playing with Ko... is his attitude/facial expressions whenever Ko makes a mistake. His irritation is actually pretty obvious sometimes, and I can see why it might be quite uncomfortable playing with him. I don't really get his attitude, because it's not like he's playing perfectly is he? He's making tons of errors himself! And sometimes, when they lose the Finals, he looks pretty pissed on the podium. I'm not sure if he was like that when playing with Jung (have never been his fan and don't observe him), but I find his attitude on court to be really annoying to see sometimes.

11. SolsticeOfLight

If I were him, I'd be annoyed too if I had to stand on the second step.
    Don't forget, if you earn silver, you've actually achieved nothing on the last day; you already won silver by winning the semi-finals.

12. MonkeyMadness

Yeah to be fair I dont think anyone would want to be on the 2nd step and would look fairly grumpy - also when your so used to winnig. But it is obvious sometimes how much he rates himself above Ko.

13. betazone

betazone Regular Member

no disrespect to LYD/KSH, I watched the games and I thought they were totally outclassed. Yes it was closer in the 2nd game, but I do not sense that the Koreans were in-control tactically.

14. lilmizsara

Researcher
    I had the same thoughts too. I actually watched the second set though and thought they were completely outclassed. They were already trying their best though, Ko looked quite at a loss while Lee looked really frustrated.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not like Ko/Lee were bad, it's just that Ahsan/Setiawan were amazing! :)

16. lilmizsara

Researcher
    Exactly! :D

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    No. Ko/Lee did play pretty awful in my opinion. They started off on the wrong foot, made a few easy mistakes and that was it. They lost because they couldn't hold it together mentally and simply looked like two players who had never played with each other before. Also, they seriously need to rethink their defense position. It's always been said that they stand too far back, that's true but they've gotten away with it against some players that like to smash everything and don't have such deadly drops, but A/S mix up the smashes with some astonishingly tight and accurate dropshots and thats always going to hurt K/L.

Yes, A/S did play very well, but the number of net-caughts were pretty shocking, to have that many is lucky enough, to have that many in a final is amazing. It must be heart breaking playing people who can get that many net-caughts and play as well as A/S did.

I agree with others that LYD's attitude is completely wrong. He needs to put his frustration aside and support Ko more. It just does not look like a partnership here. You don't see other top pros doing this. May be LYD just doesn't want to partner Ko.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^ If you want to see Ah/Set play bad, check out their QF match 2nd game against Endo/Hayakawa. :p They were making lots of errors and missing tons of blocks, barely squeaked by 23-21.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_5Ml_tpyeA

Re LYD's attitude, he's already better now as compared to a few months ago when I started this thread. :)

19. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Well, at least Ko is always smiling! Looks like a nice guy to hang around with. He is a gifted athlete but I do not think he has an above average "badminton IQ".

This situation really shows that even though LYD had a lot of fans who praised his game when he used to play with JJS, JJS was just as important as LYD.

20. MonkeyMadness

I agree Ko just seems to be a nice guy. Although I do think he has a very good 'badminton brain' (look at his early mixed matches). Maybe he has let his physical side rule his decision making.

I think your right with JJS - they seemed such a natural pair and i think LYD is having trouble getting used to a new partner.