Stringbed frequency to monitor string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Feb 27, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm...that's no good. One last free app to try.

N-Track Tuner.

I tried it on my old iPhone before and just now and it worked well, although it doesn't hold the frequency reading for long but it's consistently accurate. Maybe use it occasionally in conjunction with your already paid-for ClearTune just to confirm the readings in the latter are indeed half harmonic. I think your ClearTune reading can be dependably doubled to get the true frequency. 1160 sounds right for a 0.69mm string at 27 lb.

#201 visor, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D yes cutting the string would be a good idea if you are consciously going to store it for that long (grommets need replacing indeed, good thing I have original spares already). Iirc my friend was around with his stringing machine so I thought I'd get a few strung up for free. But it was before summer break so in the summer I put them in a closet in a cooler room after one had indeed snapped string and deformed. This one I got the reading off was waaaay in the back on the bottom ...

On a sidenote: I have as much issues as R20190 in getting normal looking readings from my other rackets :eek: but in the bathroom at least the app settles down on a measurement instead of picking up every sound in the neighbourhood. The TC700 now read 1192Hz; can't get anything on my laptop with built in mic so cutting the string now.

#202 demolidor, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=2950]DarthHowie[/MENTION]

Tks for the loads of data points! :)
    I`ve taken the liberty of reposting them on this frequency thread.

Just from a quick look at your data, they do seem 1 lb more than what I`ve seen or measured...

Is your cross tension 1 or 2 more lbs than main?

How much of a drop do you notice from immediately after stringing to a day or two later?

Re when to measure, I suppose if immediately is good for the stringer to monitor his job. But for us consumers who get a stringer to do the job, we don`t measure it until maybe a day or two later, so that`s why I use the latter.

#203 visor, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]

Q: Is your cross tension 1 or 2 more lbs than main?
    A: It's usually 10% more in the crosses (so at least 2lbs). I string top down 2 piece and usually do the first 4 crosses at 1 pound above the mains before increasing tension on the remaining crosses. I find this works in order to keep the frame shape intact. I'm sure its different for other machines and stringers.

Q: How much of a drop do you notice from immediately after stringing to a day or two later?
    I've maybe measured once or twice a racket after a day but don't recall an exact number. I think i measured at least a 100 Hz drop. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

By the way I use the CarlTune android app you recommended to measure the frequency.

Recording this data also helps me try to keep my string jobs as consistent as possible. An interesting thing i noticed about my data was that i measured up to march/april frequencies with my Gamma fixed clamps. When i switched to the Toyozuki clamps in mid april, I noticed a 10-15Hz drop in my frequencies, but my string jobs sped up by 5-10 minutes. My only guess is that the string isn't under constant pull as long as when i used my old clamps when it took me about 45 min to string a racket (I'm no speed stringer). I now string in about 30-40 min.

5. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Voltric 70 = 27lbs by 28lbs, BG66 Ultimax = 1295Hz straight after stringing
    Does this sound correct?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

That's about right...

7. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=11783]Mark A[/MENTION] [MENTION=86196]craigandy[/MENTION] [MENTION=2950]DarthHowie[/MENTION]

Thought I'd move the discussion to this frequency thread instead, since Darth already answered me here. He uses 10% more on crosses with 10% prestretch. But he says he's a slow stringer, meaning his string is subject to constant pull longer. So may explain his frequencies which seem 1-2 lbs higher than what I've seen.

#207 visor, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks visor. So for the bg65 it is not that far off my experience, if he stringing for example 27 is 27/30. I don't think the time is factor 30mins isn't slow is it?:eek:

9. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    well, these tensions are easily 2 pounds over what I get. I've never had BG65 come close to 1351hz and certainly not under 30lbs

Anyways, as long as we're consistent right :p

10. DarthHowie

I'm not saying if i'm right or wrong...but that's the data i'm getting when i record the frequency within 5 minutes of finishing a string job. I think the numbers will fall closer to what visor is getting if i wait 24 hours. I'll have to measure when i get a racket to string.

I have checked that the wise is calibrated correctly. 30 minutes is my best...35-40min is more the norm when i string. Some people have mentioned that i string "tighter" than others, but like all good stringers, i always ask for feedback such that the next job has more/less tension.

11. DarthHowie

Stringing Top Down on crosses, 4 knots:
    27 on mains.
    For the top most cross (where my starting knot is) i tend to only tension at no more than 23 lbs (especially when the string guage is thin) becuase i've seen it snap on me if I tension any higher.
    28 on the next 3 crosses and 29.7 on the subsequent crosses.

I prefer not pulling both top 2 crosses since the tension is halved(i remember kwun doing an experiment on this)

12. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Oh I'm not trying to find whose wrong, just saying my frequencies aren't that high, even right out of the machine.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Right ok thanks. Like blableblibloblu said my purpose is not to proof you wrong. Just curiosity with your stringing. I too measure straight after with carltune (just to see consistency). When I do 27, I do mains 27 and all of the crosses 29. I make sure it is pulling right tension and mark string to ensure no slip is on clamps. for BG65 always comes out about 1190hz, quite a way off yours, just wondering how could be.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Going slowly doesn't necessarily mean longer pulls, and if you're a slow weaver that'll mean more tension loss by the end.

Personally, I leave my strings pulling until my WISE stops chattering (which is normally a couple of seconds after the beep).

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What's behind slow weaving and tension loss?

16. DarthHowie

No worries. I'm trying to understand the variation too. 1275 HZ average compared to 1190 HZ when job is completed is quite the difference for BG65 @ 27lbs. The interesting thing is the data has been relatively consistent even though i changed fixed clamps.

Might be my technique.
    I'd love to shoot a youtube video...but i think you'd all fall asleep watching me string... :p

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The thing is I just can't see where I would be losing tension/frequency over you. The rackets you string, do they come with tiny heads before you string?:D

18. DarthHowie

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you are losing any tension. It seems that i'm the outlier here.
    What i may need to do, is shoot a video with my calibrator, and then shoot video of me stringing a racket. The analysis will go from there.

Forgive my poor humour...I don't get the last statement.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The smaller the head the higher the frequency. So if the calibrator is correct that is the only thing left.

20. DarthHowie

Some of the Rackets i've strung that are included in the data:
    Li Ning N90 II/III (BG-66 UM/BG-80 Power/NBG-99 @ main of 25 or 26 lbs),
    Yonex Voltric Z-Force (1, 2 and Limited - BG65 @ main of 27 lbs),
    Victor Meteor X JJS (my primary racket - zymax 65 with main tension of 25lbs),
    Yonex AT-900T,
    Victor Bravesword 9 (BG 85 with main of 23), 12, LYD,
    Yonex Voltric Z-Speed,
    Fly Power Arbi El Nino (BG-65 with main of 26 lbs),
    Victor Thruster 9000,
    Yonex Nanoray Z-Speed

#220 DarthHowie, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014