Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I don't know :00000 , that's odd...

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

When I record on my phone its fine... :/

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Is it that bad? /:, I can reupload it later but it's going to take hours :0, it's not distorted in the original video , I think the YouTube capture app has something to do with it

4. swunk

swunk Regular Member

nbonkowsky
    Nice. Btw, don't you think you would be more comfortable wearing contacts instead of glasses?

5. drew tze en

Don't upload it through that app, if you go onto your video, tap the "share" button there's an option to upload it to youtube it will uploaded it as a 720p video but it won't be as distorted

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Alright thanks!! I will upload it as soon as I get home, I overslept and I'm missing first period it's 8:48AM DDD:<

7. drew tze en

I know everyone kept saying this in the past video but your grip needs to be changed, still.

When you are playing a forehand serve you don't need to stand next to the "T" from the "T" its ideal to stand about a racket's length away from the T, this is because if someone lifts the shot behind you, you have enough time to react and to move to the shot, but if you stand too close, you won't be able to retrieve the shot well, and hit a mid-court shot and probably smashed, facing against stronger opponents

For a backhand serve, try and use your wrist, you will have more control compared to swinging your whole arm. Your backhand serve @4:09 and @6:48 look more controlled.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

The good: your touch shots are quite good, eg. drops, net, forecourt.

The bad: your forehand stroke can be improved. You need to do drills instead of playing games. Just do clears with a friend for 10 min at a time, concentrating on the throwing action, pronation, contact point, and focusing your power at strike.

9. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thanks visor.

Yeah I should just clear for a while , it doesn't feel right when I'm playing, I keep using pan handle .-., thanks I will!

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I'm trying my best to flick my wrist instead of using my whole arm at the numbers you stated it is getting better but I should try doing it consistently and thanks for the advice about going to close to the corner of the T, I've been getting trouble to retrieve lifts indeed that is correct, thanks :), I think I should split step more...

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

[MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION]: nice vid, though your opponents were a bit overchallenged...

i reallyy like your game, i think you improved considerably as opposed to the first vids you posted! good work. your partner and you form a very nice pair, your styles fit quite well. you're both good at netplay and can therefore nicely control the rallies, that's so important in mens doubles.
    by just skimming through the vid, i saw 2 scenes where you could still put more pressure on your opponents from the net and improve your netplay (though it might just lazyness due to the weak opponents, but still...)
    11:39 and 11:55: there is no real need to let the shuttle fall down and lift. step in there aggressively and push/block it back, either fast or soft, doesn't matter really. you're so much better at the net than your opponent, don't give them a chance to control the rally.

anyways, nice match, though quite a bit too easy...

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hehe, thanks, I'd like to think so ;) Moved up a few teams and divisions, if I hadn't improved my statistics would be pretty bad I guess :D Still hungry for more though, and curious how far I'll be able to take it. While I started very late I don't really regret missed childhood training as many people (such as myself) get bored with their first sport and don't stick with it longterm.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment. There is definitely room for improvement around the net, although I consider it my strongest area in Doubles, and my lack of aggressiveness is not (only) because of my opponents. I'm still trying to really launch myself forward to the net and give myself the opportunity to kill the shuttle instead of playing it back to the net or pushing it, it's not instinctual yet.
    My letting the shuttle drop is another issue, although I like to think it has gotten much better there is still room for improvement, no doubt.

Had my first session without foot, calf or achillles pain yesterday, and my legs have gotten a bit stronger again. Really looking forward to the next couple of weeks/months and hoping for some improvement. State championships (Landesmeisterschaften) are gonna take place soon, let's hope I get in with yet a different doubles partner :D While there's gonna be a few unbeatable opponents there I'm hoping for one or two really good matches provided we get in.

13. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Haven't been playing much badminton recently, but this thread's been drying up so I thought i'd add to it!

Lost in 3 sets to this chap here, know him from my days at uni and never beat him.
    Sorry I didn't get the full match, the guy operating the camera didn't know my camera times out after 15:00.

Just your regular county (District for those outside of england) match, i'm nearside court.

[video=youtube;fGQW_JoHLho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQW_JoHLho&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

14. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Thanks for the vid AimUk! Good quality video. Would be even better if the camera was more zoomed in?

It seems like you are the more adventurous player while he is taking on the more consistent role. What would you put down your loss to? Nice game, I enjoyed the watch.

15. |_Footwork_|

I love this typical UK-style:
    a lot of smashing, fast drives, fast drops, occasional offensive clears.
    You guys only know one pace: full speed.

Nice game, nice camera position.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, thought the same....from the tempo alone, it looks like a pretty high-class match would over here, but then I see the margin on the serve and net play...and realize that we seem to play very differently here :D
    The anecdotal evidence seems to support that theory, as the guys from Bristol I played mostly had hard smashes and could play high tempo, but couldn't match me in serving and accuracy, generally speaking :D

That being said, nice match!
    [MENTION=84309]AimUk[/MENTION]Again I'm stunned you don't beat this guy regularly, didn't you upload a match between the two of you a while back? You seem superior in most aspects of the game and outpower him quite noticeably, but his consistency seems to be enough to outlast you as I saw quite a few unforced errors on your part ;)

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Thanks for the comments, sorry I don't reply sooner, part of the problem is that I work away in the week now so I don't have regular training. At the moment i'm playing maybe once a week if i'm lucky:crying: Combined with me cycling more, I did a 50mile ride the morning before, I don't have much match fitness in badminton but hoping to work on it. I'd like to get back into it but I simply don't have time to train like I did when I was at uni!

So that's also my tactics explained for the game, he would simply trounce me if I rallied. ;)

Hopefully after new year I'll have a bit more time at home and be able to train more often, but sadly i'm enjoying the singles court work out, when really I want to be playing doubles :p Maybe when I get fit again i'll go back to the percentages game rather than the attacking. It's an obvious move if my opponent realises i'm tiring easily but it's my best chance of winning right now.

18. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i wanna be able to make that shot at 1:19 how can i learn it? ^^ is it just a very well trained and strong arm and wrist or some special grip or technique?

19. |_Footwork_|

can't find anything special!?
    what do you mean?

20. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    This is my video from a 18 months back, I am the bald guy in the maroon t shirt, I am playing with my regular partner. I was just coming back from a knee injury (from then to now I have lost 25 pounds which has helped me in movements etc). Feed back will be greatly appreciated, especially with respect to techniques and doubles strategies. (Ignore the music one of my friends was playing around with video options and it is cheesy :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un5Er82AcCw&feature=youtu.be