Advice - Badminton Racketu

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sraoo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

On the contrary, if you can get it for the same price I would go for VT70 because the head weight will help you with your overhead shots. It has the qualities of a good beginner racket but will be one that you can grow into as well. You don't need to be an advanced player to feel the balance differences between those. Of course this is just my opinion though; most important is that you choose a racket that you feel comfortable with so if you like your NS then keep it.

#21 BlueTornado, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    I have an opportunity to purchase a VT70 4U.
    Play style: offensive (given the right opportunity)
    Experience: 1 year
    Racket preferences: maneuverable, balanced/light and I'm uncertain about head-heady vrs. head-light
    Game: doubles, typically

I would like to improve the technique and power of my smash, so presumably, I would need a racket that isn't too heavy or stiff and I have a feeling the NS4500 might not generate enough power (or is this false)?

3. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    What are you racket recommendations? I haven't tried my NS4500 on court or felt the VT70 and since my Father will be picking up the racket after work without me (since the retailer is out of town), I won't know until it's purchased.

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Generally, when people are looking for better smashing power, they'll be looking towards head heavy rackets, in which case VT70 is a good candidate. It is also a "user friendly" racket since it is not too stiff.

I tend to recommend double players to go for more balanced or faster rackets however (Nanospeed, Nanoray, Arcsaber). But if you're always/often in the back of the court VT70 is a good choice, again it's all about play style :D

5. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    Hm, is the 4U VT70 quite light? And I'm concerned with the head-light NS4500 that I will loose some power; of course, the wrist movement is integral but I feel like having a head-havy racket will be beneficial. Should I keep my NS?

6. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    This is difficult choice for me, however, do you know if the NS4500 requires proper technique in order to obtain the most powerful smash? And is there any loss in power since it's a head-light racket? If so, the VT70 would be most suitable. Is it balanced and maneuverable?

7. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    The chance of injury should also depend on your own physique. I don't claim to be as knowledgeable about badminton strings, rackets as some members here. I have only broken 4 string beds in my 6 years of recreational playing. I regularly play at 25lbs with plastics and that is no problem. I have a friend that plays with plastic at 28lbs of tension and he smashes like a demon. However, he does 200+ pushups a day so his body absorbs the shock fairly easily.

Though you are just 15, i would advice you hit the weight room at least two times a week and do some exercises to strengthen your muscles on the arm and shoulder. Nothing too demanding but you want to push yourself a little bit. If you get stronger you will have an easier time avoiding injuries and impress chicks in your school and on the beach! Allow your body to adjust to the tension and the racket and it will be fine, getting a top tier racket at this stage of your development can only benefit you psychologically, if at all.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    You need proper technique to obtain powerful smashes with all rackets.

Yes, you are losing some power with a NS 4500 compared to a VT70. The head heaviness of the VT70 is contributing more to the power of your strikes. However, power isn't everything and there is always a trade off. A more head heavy racket generally means a little less maneuverability and less efficient defense compared to a balanced racket. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's gonna be bad. I play with a Z Force in doubles and manage to play decently in defense.

So, like I said, everything is a trade off. The VT70 may have better offense, but maybe a less efficient defense than your NS4500.

Weight wise, I think both rackets are around the same weight (unless you bought a 4U NS4500).

9. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
  10. BlueTornado

Wilson's generally aren't actually stiff. If you want something similar but better than the previous racket, get the VT70.

11. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    I just played with a VT70 4U (borrowed) and it was very light and maneuverable. Although my timing was off; is this a common issue?

12. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Always a possible issue when changing rackets.

13. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    My local retailer is closed and tomorrow's a holiday; do you think I will be able to return the racket or have to sell on it another site similar to Kijiji?

14. SolsticeOfLight

That depends on what effect tomorrow's holiday has on you returning your racket ...
    Why don't you ask when they come back from holiday, or leave a message on their voicemail?

15. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    I wanted to know anyone's previous experiences in returning unused rackets. Also, since tomorrow is a holiday, I won't have any answer until Tuesday and the sooner I know, the more convenient it is.

16. SolsticeOfLight

That depends on your shop. Some will only accept if all the original packaging is still as-new, whilst others will be more liberal. You can't expect to return a racket that looks like it has been played with, or the grip and strings changed.

17. Prim3

Prim3 Regular Member

Student
    Not to hijack your thread or anything but can someone explain how tension works? Higher tension is control am I correct? And lower is power?

What's the deal with the plastic/feather shuttles? Is it harder to play with higher tension say 28lbs if its a plastic shuttle?

I think the VT70 may be my next purchase if it's for smashing.. I'm still using an old isometric (bought it 12-13 years ago).

18. BlueTornado

This is explained a lot already. Here's the gist of it:

Higher tension = more control AND higher power, but to get the higher power you have to swing harder and more accurately on the sweet spot to maximize the tension
    Lower tension = less control and less power, but it'll be easier to get power from the stringbed since you don't have to swing as hard and your technique doesn't have to be as spot-on.

Correct, plastic shuttles are generally harder to play with than feather shuttles at the same tension.

19. Prim3

Prim3 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks! Makes sense and clears it all now..

20. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    i agree with what BlueTornado said....
    i tested 30lbs i have no problem to control the shuttle but it's very hard to get power from it since my arm not strong as pro players.....
    so i lower the tension to 26lbs and i feel comfortable....
    so i think the max tension i can handle maybe 26 or 27lbs...

about VT70, im using it now and i can say one of the best racket that yonex have ever made(imo)....
    the shaft just nice(between medium and stiff).....
    suitable for intermidiate to advance level....
    VT70 is an all round racket, so u can use it for smashing or control game....