Change of mentality required: singles & doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jcl49, Apr 5, 2004.

?

do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

i change styles. for doubles, i rush the short serve because i have a partner than can back me up if i end up in a bad position after my rush. in singles, i dont have that "safety net" in a partner so i must play more carefully. but for both, i focus on more netplay. i think that what goes on during netplay is most important for either singles or doubles because with good netplay, you can force short lifts for you or your partner which leads to better shots.

2. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I vote yes.

In singles, good or near perfect footwork is important. In doubles how ever due to the presence of a partner one can get away with not so good footwork. In short, i use singles to improve my game. I much rather play doubles though. Its faster pace and more ppl get to play at one time. But i do agree with what somone said earlier...doubles makes me lazy:p:p:D.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Well, I don't know about getting lazy in doubles comparing to singles. You still have to move fast to the shuttle for optimal angle shot. Having a partner only means more coordination and communication, quite the challenge in itself when you're playing with someone new.

If you play with strong players who could move you about throughout the rally, you won't have time to stop. Even if you're at the front, you can't let your guard down or you'll most like hit the net.

Singles or doubles, how much of a workout you get is really dependent on how good the other side can give.

4. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I think it is more about court coverage, one just dont have to move form one corner to the other as often. Hence when one plays doubles too often one just find it harder to move from end to end. I think it is more a psycological thing rather then physical. But i must admint though, where i play, i get as much workout in doubles and singles. BUt where in singles i tend to end up with more tired legs in doubles i tend to feel like my arm is droping off.:D. But thats just me.

5. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

In my opinion, a completely different mindset is required for singles as opposed to doubles. The mentality in singles is more "I'm not going to let the bird fall on my side." With doubles, it's a little more "I'm going to make the bird land on their side." In singles, I think there's a bit more patience. In doubles, you have to try to force an error or opening.

6. makilino

makilino New Member

I am more a doubles player who play some of singles games if my team mates cannot make it, singles is definitely a percentage game for me and waiting on that one chance you get in a rally to seal the point.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    For me, I've mostly played doubles, but now I'm thinking of playing singles as a specialty. I've found that in doubles, I'm more concerned with breaking the opposind defense with about 70% power, and 30% placement, etc. Singles, is mostly about driving your opponents around like crazy and cashing in on their mistakes. So 80% placement, 20% power. Also, the smash plays a different role in each game. For singles, it's a finishing move. As for doubles, it's normally used as a regular attack. I dont' smash in singles unless I know I'll get the point from it.

8. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    Well...where do i start ......

I play doubles most of the time, rarely play singles unless im "needed" ...so, thinking about the "change of mentality" required, i think playing doubles requires a lot of teamwork and also a plan of action/strategic plan between the pairs, as in, pairs should give each other breathers by swapping positions of front and back courts etc.

Singles however (for me) requires patience and a set plan by putting in power 40% of the time and control 60%, you are indeed alone on the court, so u have your own set of plan of action.

9. Lemons

Lemons Regular Member

dancing potatoes
    i say yes because in doubles your serve counts a bit more than your serve in singles.. for singles you tend to do long to buy yourself time to get ready.. and for doubles you have make sure your serve counts because your partner and you will have to get ready for their shot... my mentality changes alot because in singles i tend to make my opponent run and smash alot less because it takes alot of energy .. for doubles it requires more team work and technique..also for doubles i tend to drive alot more than in singles...also in doubles you require communication with your partner and understand each other since you don't wanna clash rackets.. in singles you depends on yourself alot more..

10. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    yes because in singles, you can only depend on yourself and luck, luck being your opponent hitting out or hitting into the net. Since you know only you can change the result, i try much harder knowing that i can only blame myself.
    On the other hand, in doubles your partner has a chance to screw up as well, and your partner may not play the style you like either.

11. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    well, i dont change much if at all. my play style is definetly defensive, just keep getting shots over the net until i can smash, or do a good drop, and it always is like that in sigles, so pretty much, i run everywhere and hit everything.
    In doubles, its much the same, except that i just go after everything on my side, but i am known to rush up front when playing back and vice versa, and left to right and vice versa when plaing doubles, even tho my partner sometimes CAN get it, i leave the obvious ones to him/her

the only change in my strategy is that in doubles, i often will go into a "drive war" with my oppponent, knowing that if they hit a high clear, my partner will get it. i rarely drive war in singles

12. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    I voted yes and i do agree that you need a different mentality for doubles. In singles you are all alone and no one else can come in and help you during a match. Unlike doubles where you can count on your partner to help you out. Not to mention you also need to be in sych as well. If you tried playing in a singles manner during a doubles match, you would shut out your partner and waste a lot of energy which could result to a early loss. So to make things short because i'm at school. Yes you need a different mentality and strategy for double and singles.

13. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    For me is no when i play doubles i'll automatically play in my doubles style:D than when i play singlestarting 1st few points i dun get used to it after a few points my single playing style comes:D

14. Aesir

Aesir Regular Member

You're right to some degree, but don't you find that if you come up against a good attacking doubles pair that match up to your defence that you find yourself in trouble? I myself am a defensive player, and I used to play defensive in doubles as well, but then I found that having an offensive mentality in doubles really does help. I think this is mainly because unlike in singles, once you get your attacking shots going in doubles you can usually keep them going and win the rally cos you have a partner to back you up. It's not like singles where if you're smashed at you drop it and they lift it again and it's your turn to attack. You often can't drop it cos their partners waiting to intercept at the net

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's not just mentality. the shots and tactics needed for dubs and singles are very different. and at pro level, they practise it until they're perfect. therefore, if they want to have the stamina needed for singles, they simply don't have enough time to practise the quality driving needed for doubles.

but mentality will play a part. i find that my doubles game and singles is very different, although i don't find myself thinking about the change needed. it's kind of subliminal. in doubles, i'm all jump smash and driving, but in singles i'm a lot more patient, lots of drops, clears, net shots. a very opposite game, but i don't find i need to consciously change

16. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    Yer, I reckon you do need to change the mentality a bit.

In Doubles, you can afford to keep on attacking without needing to cover the front/back court. When I play doubles and am at the back, I generally do fast dropshots or smashes. When I'm at the front, I just cross court net rolls to piss the opponent off =p.

In Singles however, I move the opponent around and only smash when I'm totally in control because I have to cover for the front court as well.

17. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i change my mind...yes....you do change mentality for singles...its just that i rarely play singles anymore....
    but yes, when you play, i have to change into "singles mode" where i return to a different center, ect...for a few rallies, before i can play well..
    im usually default doubles, since i play mixed and mens doubles most of the time

18. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    doubles is a lot harder to trick opponents than singles, since more area of the court is covered.

19. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I definitely have to change mentality, after playing singles then switching to double I still try to reach the whole court. This results in general chaos, so I do have 2 mindsets. I actually move a lot slower in doubles as I'm slightly concerned of both people going for the same shot. I guess I need to play double with the same people more often and practise with them!

20. vinjy

vinjy Regular Member

student
    Yes , i believe the mentality will have to change, becos it will link to other factors as well.

Footwork:
    footworkt have to change too. Because singles cover all corners of the court, whereas doubles coverage is shared. (doubles more side jumps and movements to execution target)

Defend:
    Setting up of defense is shared, whereas singles is alone in the middle of the court, position depending on the capabilities of each individual competency. Thus single player will have to very prepare that shuttle will come in any part of his court, this lead to changes in mentality in defend.

Correct me if i am wrong thanks .:)

feel free to visit my blog on badminton http://allaboutbadmintonblog.blogspot.com/ and the links