Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龙大 ) / Ko Sung Hyun ( 고성현 / 高成铉 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by visor, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

KSH is still in the "don't dissapoint my partner" stage. Once he gets past that, there will be no stopping them.
    To be honest, I personally believe the most skillful player Korea has for MD is KSR. However his handicap is purely mental. He gives up way too easy!

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I believe LYD and KKJ are better readers of the game than KSR, outdoing him at the front, and LYD is certainly just as skilled. KSH is definitely better from the back.
    I agree that he has successful years ahead of him, as he is lightning fast and pretty powerful and also a good reader of the game. I believe with more experience on the big stage he and his partner will get more stable in the close/final stages of the game.

I also believe Ko has gotten better, not apologizing as profusely after every single mistake :D LYD is certainly not as condescending anymore and seems to be giving his best again.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

So, it seems Ko is still making the same mistakes as before, although less.

1. Serves
    He's not rushing his serves as much as before, but still many lets called as his opponents claimed to be not ready yet, and of course when he has to re-serve again, he flubs it. 9 times out of 10. [​IMG] [​IMG]

And how many service faults were called on him alone by the service judges in Sudirman Cup alone? I think over 10-12 throughout the whole week of him playing MD and XD. A record in my books. :eek: He has a bad tendency to raise the racket and shuttle just before release even on a simple short serve.

2. Touch shots and blocks

I can't even keep track of how many times simple blocks from his racket ends up short into the net. This is one area he must rectify.

3. Smashes

WTH happened to his pounding smashes? OK, so he got one or two at around 270 km/h but the rest were either weak by his standards or way too flat and out the baseline. Even Qiu and Liu can consistently smash harder than him and they're older than him!

Anyways, not like I'm putting his down, but just noting areas of his play that badly needs improvement and fast. And I'm starting to feel sorry for poor LYD...

#203 visor, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  4. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Visor how are you watching the SC videos in Canada? Are you downloading them from somewhere?
    Please link me.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

already well known, so no harm in posting...

use firefox browser with stealthy plug-in , then pick a country that doesn't have telecast copyrights... ;)

but now that the event is over, i'm sure the bwf channel will be unblocked for all countries... soon

6. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    Liu and Qiu is older than Ko?
    you might need to check their profile

7. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Thanks. Hopefully it will be unlocked soon! I'll keep the tip in mind for the next time we get a blockout!

8. visor

visor Regular Member

oh, right... he's just turned 26...ok so let me adjust my statement...

Even Qiu and Liu can consistently smash harder than him and they're wimpier than him by far! :p :D

9. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Lol. Maybe he should use the Thruster again!

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Liu can in fact not smash harder than him.... :D
    And Qiu only does it occasionally. Otoh, he is another rear court-oriented player, so it's expected to be a close contest. I haven't watched the MD final yet, but in all matches I've seen from earlier in the week he was smashing fine...

11. betazone

betazone Regular Member

Well well.....again KSH has shown his weakness and again the chinese pair has exploited it to the max. I hv nothing more to add.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh... You'll realize the reality of my post above re Ko's areasI of improvements once you watch the MD final... ;)

13. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Hmm; GC was onto that too, saying Ko's good when everything's 100 mph (though I think the chinese are better at it), but he can't cope when there's less pace on the shots.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

As I mentioned earlier, keep an eye out for these three problems when watching the MD final.

15. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

lee yong dae is amazing and hot but ko sung hyun is bringing him down with his badness and ugliness

16. lilmizsara

lilmizsara Regular Member

Researcher
    Was in KL watching the Sudirman cup, and I think a lot of posters here already pointed out very obvious things about Lee/Ko that I agree with. Ko and Kim were extremely lousy against Ma/Xu. Ko was... average I guess. But my God, Kim Hana.. mistake after mistake after mistake. >< And in the MD finals, I counted the number of smashes that Ko executed, and it was less than 5. Maybe even 2 or 3.. in the ENTIRE game. Once he isn't allowed to smash, there isn't much he is good at really. And the Chinese just kept attacking him til he makes the mistakes. No surprises there.

As for someone above saying Lee wasn't fielded in the XD, of course he won't be. If you are able to read Chinese/Korean news; the team is still looking for a suitable partner for him and they would most likely debut in the WC in August.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Like he would get into the WC with a new partner.....and no, I can't read Chinese or Korean :)
    Anyway, as much as I like LYD, I don't think he can play XD at the same level he once did anymore. He has developed, and while that has made him a better MD player (imop the best who's competing regularly right now) it hasn't really helped his XD any.
    I believe he doesn't smash as hard anymore, possibly because of his elbow injury (in 2010, I believe).
    Anyhow, up until the final Ko's defense was very solid and his attacking play was superb. He still isn't a master of soft shots, but neither was JJS (when he was at the net, you 'just' had to play a soft shot to him and he would fluff it 80% of the time). And no one was harping on him all the time.

Personally, I think Ko can still develop. His coaches should be able to see what he needs to work on, and while he will never be as good as Lee around the net, that's not his job anyway. The only pairing that they really can't seem to beat right now are Liu/Qiu, so I guess it's just a matter of time until they figure out the correct tactics. They will eventually beat them.

PS: If Lee was in fact the better XD player right now, why not let him play with KHN (or any other WD player)? Just because she wouldn't be his perfect partner? Pairs are split up all the time, so if he was better than Ko, he should have played and the XD would've been stronger, no? Anyway, while I hope to see LYD play XD again, I don't think he's gonna win another OG or a WC title in it.

18. lilmizsara

lilmizsara Regular Member

Researcher
    "Like he would get into the WC with a new partner.." - why don't you try arguing that with the reporters or with the Korean management themselves? ;) I was simply restating what was reported, Seriously, fancy someone who doesn't read either language trying to dismiss what was reported. As for the rest of your post, try suggesting that to the management team as well, I'm sure they would appreciate it loads :cool:

Though I too agree that LYD wouldn't be an effective XD player. In fact, it was really strange that the team previously split Ko and Ha Jung Eun up to let Lee play with Ha. I thought it was so silly as Ko and Ha were really good together.

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

True, but it seems HJE isn't going to play any more, so I guess it doesn't matter any more.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not trying to dismiss anything. I'm just saying he won't get into the WC with a new partner as they'd have no ranking points....
    And I was really pissed that they split up the working Ko/Ha combination just to give Lee the opportunity to defend his Olympic medal - he could've partnered any of the other 100 Korean WD players to do that! :D