Shoulder injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Phydhel, Jan 8, 2006.

1. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

Frankly speaking, who daring fear surgery? There is alway risk in it, you might not be able to play badminton again if the surgery failed. I just fear, actually i do not know what to do, though i know the solutions to it..... :(

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    hi, i knw i am posting quite a few months on from when this thread started, but i dont think it sounds as serious as u guys r making out.

it sound exactly lik a shoulder rotator cuff injury, u know u have for tendons holding ur arm into the ball and socket joint of your shoulder, the jarring motion of a smash or even a clear in badminton could tear or pull one of the tendons when executed poorly, or even just when the muscle is cold, or not warmed up properly.

your best bet is to go 2 the doctors and ask for ibruprofin, this is an anti inflammatory medicine, and helps with the pain in your shoulder, as the pain and tightness is caused by swelling in your tendons, u assume that the pain is coming from just under and inside your collar bone?and also do some aerobic work, this will aid bloodflow to the muscles and tendons and aid the healing progress.

there are also exercises you can do to spped upo this process but you can look them up on the internet yourself!

lastly i would suggest you go to a doctor and ask him refer you to a physio, i have the same thing, and i happens to me all the time, im an alrite player, so when i get injury its really depressing when you knw ul have to take at least 2 months out(yes that is the average period u need to recover from this injury) and u you ul have to work so hard agen to get my standard up to wot it can be. the [hysio can help you with the recovery process and mayb give you some extra tips on how to heal quicker, mayb diet, and also how to prevent injury from occuring agen!

so the lesson of this injury to to always warm up properly!!!!

i hope this helps guys!

ps.the actually scientific name of the muscle in that area also often damaged is supraspinatus, look into that could also be a similar thing affecting your shoulder!

3. setaa

setaa Regular Member

how bout mine? around 7 months ago i played badminton for the first time after about 2 weeks of absence. bought new racket since i left mine back home and strung it at 23 lbs which was out of my league at that time (cuz my racket backhome only got 18 at best, it was all noodley)
    played for a bit and then executed an exaggerated force cuz i was not used to the tension (so that i could send the shuttle far. it felt like hitting with a ping pong bat) and then my shoulder was injured
    it's gone now but now my shoulder feels abit odd. when i put my arms downward at about 45 degree angle from my body and i move it backward, i heard *clack* sound (not loud but is audible). it sounds like.. my shoulder was dislocated or something. it's not that serious but i dunno what's the problem. i dont feel pain when i play badminton or when i execute any stroke, it's just that my shoulder feels odd..
    what u guys think?

4. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    erm is it lik a click click sound?sound lik you didnt heal it properly and the cartilage is gone tough, so mayb you need to go to doctor to sort that out.

5. setaa

setaa Regular Member

yaaaa, well it sounds more like clack instead of click.. well maybe click clack
    seeing a doctor this friday, for my ankle too

6. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    shoulder problem

Yeah i got that making sound thing as well. When i rotate my arem 360 degree i can feel that the shoulder joint make some sound like that. Hey what is worse consequence? ARM AMPUTATION?

7. setaa

setaa Regular Member

naw.. no amputation since we still can use it..

i just hope it's fixable..

8. setaa

setaa Regular Member

ok so i met the sport doctor and he said as long as it doesn't hurt it's fine
    then i was examined and he said that my right shoulder is weak and sent me to a therapist.
    that's all about it, nothing serious

9. dse5001

dse5001 Regular Member

shoulder injuries

This kind of pain is common in Badminton.
    I had the same pain either. I was tried to make a longer clear shot and powerfull smash with my new NS7000 with 24lbs BG68 string. I was hardly removed my right hand to open my clothes.
    The massage theraphis help a little bit, but I tried not to play for two weeks.
    When I back to court, I tried not to smash or to strain my shoulder muscle.
    I tried to use more trick to win the game. I improved my footwork, so I can cover the court without using my power. After a while, the pain disapear and I have a better footwork, drop and net's play. My friend said, the way I move my hand to do the clear is not wright. I swung my arm, instead using my wrist snap more why my elbow is on the air.
    The key is, warm up all your joints before you play is the most important to prevent the injures.

10. setaa

setaa Regular Member

yeah.. learnt it the hard way

11. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Sounds more like infraspinatus to me. In this condition the pain is actually caused by the effort required to slow the arm down after impact.

The message is clear though. See a physiotherapist or risk permanent injury.

12. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

The shoulder pain might caused by lack of strengh. You might overused your shoulder muscle strengh (in other word, you try to smash so hard that over the limit of your muscle strengh). Suggest solution, after recovery (Rest, Ice...) where the pain really gone, start doing some strectch and weight training.... try to smash 90 % of your strengh

13. ezish

ezish Regular Member

Hey all,

Two days ago I got my AT 800 OF restrung done. At home, I was trying the racket (with some small swing) and suddenly there was one swing and I felt pain. It seems like because of that specific swing something happened in my arm. It wasn't even a fast smash swing. It was like a high serve swing.
    So, I stopped trying it out and during any normal acrivities I don't feel any pain.

I went to play yesterday for badminton and I noticed when I try to smash/clear I feel the pain. The pain is not in the shoulder. It is inside my bicep (little above the Elbow joint and inside the inner arm). I don't know what should I do about it. It doesn't happen when I stretch my arm. It only happenes when my forearm and bicem are in V shape position and I twist my fore arm. If I move it slowly no problem. Even If i move it fast no problem. I feel pain only when I move it very fast, something like smash/clear.

What should I do?
    - Take rest
    - Go see a massage therapist
    - Go see my family doctor
    - ?????

14. ezish

ezish Regular Member

The problem is with the Bicep

I went to see the doctor. She said it is minor. I need to take rest. The problem is I gave lot of stress to my bicep. After some phsiotherapy, she asked me to rest more.

15. dse5001

dse5001 Regular Member

Shoulder injuries

I had the same pain. I blame my Nanospeed 7000 for it stiffness. However, after I take a rest for a while and corrected my swing, I feel better. The pain is gradually gone. I also do warm up before play and play with power ball when I watch TV. I think the shoulder injuries also connected with the wrist injuries.

16. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    Shoulder INjury from Badminton

You probably need to find out whether you have:-

1. Rotator Cuff Inflammation and degenerative changes (Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy)
    2. Impingement (between the acromion and humerus head)

3. Tendon rupture / tears (Rotator cuff or supraspinatus tendon)

You should not be getting anything else!

You could see a sports doctor for diagnosis. An X-ray and ultrasound scan could be helpful. A physiotherapist could give you some strengthening exercises for your rotator cuff and improve on muscle imbalance.

Just do not start off with overhead skills so soon. You probably did too much too soon! I have started an article in http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com on this topic.

17. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    i used to have a wrist injury... before i corrected my technique:D. might be helpful to get a coach to look at your stroke. you never know, sometimes correct technique is the key to fixing injuries. also warm up before you play, so your joints are lubricated and won't grind.

18. Chethan

Chethan New Member

Software Engineer
    The fact that you dont feel the pain as you play on shows that you need to warm up more especially for that strained muscle . Also do some strengthening workouts to ur shoulder like , wide arm pushups on floor , elastic band pulls etc , but do them all very slowly and also try not to smash to hard till u heal up completely , start off with slow moderate smashes and build on it . This will be a really good chance for u to work on other parts of ur game if u choose to leave the smash out for a while

19. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

When I do the above i get a strain my shoulder :confused:

I think that I strained something in my shoulder about 5 days ago but the strange thing is that I only really felt it in my shoulder about 2 days after. Never had it feel this bad before so I might have to see a doctor...

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

supraspinatus aggravation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supraspinatus_muscle