rope jumping or running to improve my stamina?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jseto, Aug 16, 2007.

1. jseto

jseto Regular Member

Ive read a couple of forums regarding this subject but never got a concluding answer. I lose stamina easily(mebe my footwork) but most like because Im not as active now its summer break. To improve badminton stamina, what activity would be best, rope skipping or running?

2. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    neither, try swimming

3. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

running would be the better than rope skipping i think. But to train stamina both ways are good anyway. Lots of way to train stamina in badminton anyway.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    jogging is good for stamina, helps you to last longer just like swimming, cycling etc as long as you don't go too hard at the start. Take things easy 2 begin with.

Skip rope will help with stamina too but will help with balance a bit and also get you used to doing a split step type movement which is good to help u get moving on the court and help you get to where u want to b quicker.

I suggest doing all these activities as each work slightly different muscle groups as well as the heart and lungs. Good luck. :D

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Training for stamina is overrated. I think most people should focus on something else instead: movement efficiency.

This is something that can be seen in fast feet drills (e.g. jumping laterally over a box, jumping onto and off a step, jumping in a 4-square pattern, etc). Watch the person's centre of gravity. How much does it move with each step?

In someone who moves efficiently, the centre of gravity stays centred for the duration of the exercise, so no work is done moving the COG, the entire movements simply involves a fast cycling of the legs. A lot of people really suck at this! So, they should work at it.

Here's how I would approach it. Select a few fast feet exercises. Do sets of 10 seconds, counting how many foot contacts you get within that time. Right now, the emphasis is not stamina, but speed and efficiency. Give yourself plenty of rest, at least 30 seconds between sets.

Once your speed plateaus (this might take a few sessions or a few weeks), switch to 30 second sets. Now, the emphasis is on speed endurance, the ability to maintain your speed for longer durations. Once this levels off, go back to the 10 sec sets to build on your speed again.

Keep cycling between these two types of workouts, and once your gains level out, do a few sessions with 60 sec sets, before going back to the 10 and 30 sec set routines.

With this type of training, you improve your top speed (so the pace of badminton will seem slower in comparison) and your efficiency (you need less energy to move around). Meanwhile, the training to achieve that speed and efficiency would also give you a decent base of stamina. On top of that, if need more, you can then add some more stamina training (e.g. 60 second sets), but only if you need it.

6. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

skipping rope. muhammad ali only skips rope and his the dope in boxing. if you can move you can beat anybody!

7. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

stumbling feet: That sounds like a great exercise, I will definitely try that.

At the moment I'm running once or twice a week for about 8 km and rope skipping 2-3 times for 15 mins with different speed. I often read that running on intervals (short sprint, then going on jogging, then sprint again) also works quite well.

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    jogging 30 min is good for singles

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    personally i have to disagree with that about stamina being overrated, you really do need stamina in a match for sure. Because if you dont have the stamina to keep going well you cant keep playing at your highest level and start to fall back allowing the other player to step up. Being effecient is one thing and is very usefull but being able to keep going over the course of a day playing matches even if you only play one match if your tired and out of breath after the 1st 10minutes then it doesnt matter how efficient your movements are cause your still tired.

I like your workout plan for the movement efficiency but in badminton there are many areas in which training is requires movement efficiency is one area stamina is another big area as well if you do both together then it is a way better combination but yeah.

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    well it depends how much overrated is overrated.
    but personally i find that stamina is really a crucial factor especially in singles, when both players have reached a certain level of play. stamina can really mean the difference between winning and losing. with better stamina, you have already an edge over your opponent, both physically and mentally. In fact i think you need a 2.4km timing of below 10mins to stay competitive in singles...

apart from jogging, swimming is a highly encouraged way to build up your lungs. skipping is wonderful for your legs

11. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Haihz...
    everytime i smash during training...at the beginning got power...but slowly and slowly no power...weaker and weaker....cant move to back court and smash with arm power...becoming wrist smash....i guess my stamina is so low......low....low....
    Power dropping weih...if in game like this...i would be dead !!!:eek:

12. Green_Shuttle

Green_Shuttle New Member

Badminton Coach / Student
    skipping vs running

i think the benifits of skipping out weight the benefits for running. Both running and skipping can improve your stamina , but skipping improves your coordination as well as your explosive power.

13. stumblingfeet

Is it really better? Just because you're working at more things, doesn't mean you're improving more. That's a misconception held by many,because simply training more only gets you so far in terms of physical training.

Suppose you go through a progression of movement efficiency exercises + your skill work + a bunch of extra long distance running or jump roping. That endurance work is going to reduce the intensity or quality of the other training. So, your playing skills won't improve as much, your movement skills won't improve as much, while you improve your ability to sustain a low intensity for a substantial amount of time. I've seen this happen, coaches wanting their players to have great fitness and stamina -> but the players get run down very easily with this approach.
    Remember, any type of training with sets exceeding 5-7 seconds is a form of endurance training. So, practising your game skills will help with your work capacity + improve your skills at the same time. Improving movement efficiency involves improving work capacity + improving movement skill. Running will improve work capacity with little improvement in movement skill (skipping rope is a bit better), but at this point you have to ask yourself "why not improve my skills at the same time?"

14. THEbaschti

I don't really get why this is the case. If I do the exercise you suggested - say twice weekly - and just add running once a week, how does this affect the effects of the other exercise? Is it because your building up your muscles in different ways?

15. jseto

jseto Regular Member

WOW !!!!!!!!! I never knew I'd get this many ocmments! I really need it cause its summer and I ahve nothign to do. Im currently talking badminton private lessons which i LOVE!!!!!!! but get so tired after 20-30 mins!!!!!!1 I'll definetly start doing all your suggestion1!!!!!!!!!1

16. stumblingfeet

First of all, keep in mind that the nervous system is the master controller of body. Your body can only do what the nervous systems commands. For example, go for a run and measure your time. How long is it before you can
    go for another run?

Some people, those who think in terms of energy systems, might say that it's when the glycogen in the muscle get repleted. Some others, those who think in terms of the skeletal muscle system, might say that it's when protein synthesis levels in the muscles go back to normal levels. But, even if the above criteria are met, does that mean you can improve your performance on the next run? Maybe, but maybe not. Let me explain:

You'll run faster when your nervous system tells your body to run faster.
    Now, in terms of fatigue and recovery, the glycolytic (energy supply) system
    recovers quickly, the myofibrillar (muscle fibre) system recovers more
    slowly and the central nervous system the slowest. What fatigues your CNS the most is sending a very strong signal (ie intensity) or sending a signal through fatigue.

In a beginner or out of shape athlete, the CNS is inhibited due to inactivity.
    They just don't know how to crank up the intensity to really stress their nervous system. That's why a beginner can break a personal record, then come back and do it again as soon as their muscles recover. So, at this stage, you're working at pushing your intensity in an effort to disinhibit your nervous system. In other words, beginners just need to learn to work hard, and learn what intensity really means.

When we get to the intermediate stage, things become a bit more complicated. Recall that the CNS recovers and supercompensates more slowly than the other systems. At this stage, your intensity is such that you're stressing the CNS vigorously with your training. So, even though your muscles might be ready to go, your nervous system might not be ready to perform. So, at this point, you need to be more aware of how you're training your nervous system (as opposed to the muscular or energetic systems) in order to ensure progress in training.

What matters is the issue of efficiency vs proficiency. What I mean here is your tendency to hold back the intensity to conserve energy vs its ability to display high level ability. How do we address this issue?

We can split up our training durations into different brackets of time. For example, an average rally lasts less than 10 seconds. What's the fastest you can go within that time? That's a measure of your proficiency. How many sets can you go at a speed just a bit below your top speed? That's your efficiency at that level.

But sometimes we get longer rallies, or we might have incomplete rest between rallies. So, train in the 20s, 30s and 40s, etc brackets too. Use the higher bracket work to shift yourself towards efficiency in the lower bracket. The higher the bracket, the greater the shift. Just keep in mind that as the bracket goes up, the more proficiency goes down.

So, a 30+ minute run? That's 180+ times greater than the typical rally length, so it's a very crude method of optimizing your proficiency-efficiency. It shifts you way too far over to efficiency, meaning your proficiency at the 10 second bracket is going to go down the drain.

Kiwiplayer likes this.
  17. THEbaschti

Big thanks for clarifying this in that long post, sounds sensible to me. =)
    So maybe I should cut down the runs a bit

18. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Excellent post from stumblingfeet.

For those that doubt the CNS being a limiting factor, I propose a simple experiment: Go on massive long run, as hard and fast as possible, so much so that you think you'd die if you took another step. Then get someone to shot at you with a paintball gun. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can move.

On a more serious note, look up the term "tabata interval". Just briefly, it's a form of interval training where you work for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times. If you choose the right exercises and work as hard as you can, then I guarantee you will be completely stuffed. The best thing is that it only takes 4 minutes, and it's much better than either running, swimming, or skipping for badminton conditioning. On top of that, if you apply yourself properly, it's good mental training, too.

Wayne Young

stumblingfeet likes this.
  19. stumblingfeet

I like that paintball example, Kiwiplayer.

Tabata intervals are interesting. There are many studies out showing how it is superior to 1 hour steady state aerobic exercise in terms of developing aerobic ability (V02max), anaerobic ability (oxygen deficit) and fat loss. These studies were done over 10 years ago, but information, and more importantly, acceptance, travels more slowly. It makes me feel bad for those who slave away on treadmills with little change in performance.

One additional method I've been experimenting with is intermittent hypo-oxic/hypercapnic training. There are a few ways to do this. The expensive way is to move to somewhere high-altitude, or buy a special ventilator, or sleep in a special low-oxygen tent. The cheap way.... hold your breath! Swimmers have been doing this for years. What it does is it forces you to do more work with less oxygen, which is achieved by improving oxygen usage at a cellular level, as well as by improving movement efficiency. It also gets you used to the discomfort of high CO2 levels in your blood - some say that this, the hypercapnic state, is especially important for anaerobic athletes.

20. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    so are you saying that for badminton, running for the increase of stamina is not a good idea?

i just need some clarification