Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Sandmandj

Sandmandj Regular Member

Aeries,

If people are being like that towards you it sounds like you should change your club! ;)

Some people are like that, there will always be people like that in any sport. Obviously if these guys with attitude are in a minority, just try not to play with them to much. :)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I understand your situation, and myself is not an eilte to begin with. However, I think we should take an incident from both sides:

1. You stated that you understand why elites "look bored", and may simply refuse to play. Then, you complain about the elites to invite you to play mult. games. So, what you want them to do? They either play or not play, but you pretty much said "no good" to either case.

2. Yes, it's tough to be the rookie. However, the elites can not be "Mr. nice guy" every single time, either. They paid their fees, and they have their rights to get meaningful games. My local clubs charge as much as US$25 per drop-in session (yes, it's in New York :cool:). So, you tell me the elites paying an arm and leg, just to go to baby sitting others? Of course, they have their rights to say "no". Sure, it may hurt others' feeling, but they have the rights to voice their own concerns, right?

3. Unless I read it wrong, seems you got upset during the session, mainly toward your own performance. So, I do not think that's wrong with the elites. Actually, I think they are being nice, to invite you for another game, despite the fact that you are not at their level. If you do not want the 2nd game, you have every rights to say no. If you are having a hard time to get the proper level of competition within the club (be it too high or too low), you should voice the concern to the management. If there's no solution within the club, then it's your time to switch to another one.

4. No offense, by reading your story, I think some how that you are a little bit over competitive, and judge yourself and others around a bit too harsh. Learning this sport is like learning everything else, it takes time and effort. There's no shame to be in the lower tier, especially you started just a few months ago. Over pushing yourself, and others around, will kill all the fun, which totally miss the meaning to participate. ;)

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Oooh I just remembered!!! I don't like players who, when you play doubles with them, have no idea you're on the same court so they run around, take your shots, and clash lots too. I almost got killed by some guy like that yesterday!!

@Aeries, I think it's a fact that people just like to play with others around the skill level to make it more exciting. An example is from yesterday, I was playing doubles with a mediocre player vs a strong player and an absolute beginning. My partner, just went around smashing and killing everything, obviously alienating the opposing beginner. I instead tried to just clear to them, push them around the court, and keep the rallies going, so they can at least experience some badminton. When I wanted a rally going, I just played to the stronger opponent.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yeh i pretty much do this....as boring and pointless as some of the begginner games i have to play are, i still try to make it interesting for them. Lots of clears and simple shots that they can get to in order to keep it alive. Then throw in a big jumpsmash to kill the point once in awhile and they all go "wahhhhhhhhhhh".

haha good times :)

5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    This is something I witness yesterday at my local recreational club.

In a doubles game, this one guy tends to do forehand slice serve(which quite frankly is as stupid as anything possible), then during his full swing, he hit his partner's racket(whom is standing behind just a bit close to him), then the server blamed his partner for standing too close. His partner had the "WTF" look on his face.

6. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Sandmandj,

Thank you for your advice :) The reason why i'm currently at these sessions is because the junior club has finished for the summer and won't start again till September, so our coach recommended that we go to the clubs senior sessions for the time being if we wanted to. Anyway, i'll just let go of what happened last week and play with people who are more my level of ability - besides, it's only till september.

Lazybuddy,

The reason why i complained about the game i had with the elites is because of their attitude towards my inexperience during the game. They invited me for a game after watching me play well in a doubles game, and i think once they realised that mixed doubles wasn't my strongest point they turned a little sullen with me. Basically, i think there is no reason to put on a disdainful attitude when playing with beginners - just be polite even though it's boring, it's only one small game :cool:

I understand why elites don't want to play with the beginners. However, our club nights are only £1 for club members, and £3 for non-club members, club times on from 7:30-10 in the evening and people of all levels of play attend, so if the elites want to play people their level only - tough, because that club night is open to those of all abilities. Besides, it's not as if they're paying an arm and a leg to join in.

I was disappointed by my performance. I don't fare very well in mixed doubles :) But like i said before, it was mainly the people who i played with disheartened me by their attitudes. Perhaps they were trying to be nice so they invited me for a second game, but they still made the same narky comments throughout that game too. No, there are people of my level of play there so i'm ok.

Haha, over competetive? :p Nah, i don't consider myself so. Of course, all sports are competetive, and i do get competetive when it's tournaments or if i'm playing against very equal opponents, but i don't consider myself too competetive, like 'I must win this game and prove that i'm great, i have to!' I only play for the exercise and fun, and i'm not ashamed of being a beginner either, because everyone was once a beginner so we're all in the same boat in a way :)

Athelete1234,

I think the way you played against the beginner was fair, because like you said, you kept the rallies going whilst moving the beginner around the court therefore helping them learn the sport, instead of face smashing them and draining away their confidence. And when you wanted a proper rally you played the stronger player. I wish more people were like this :)

Also, i have played with two inviduals like that too, jumping all over the court like a frog and whacking the shuttle, regardless if it's on your side of the court or theirs. It's particularly annoying when you're just about to hit the birdie when a racket out of no where flies in front of your face and whacks the birdie instead. One day they're going to hurt someone or break their racket.

Haha, sorry for the long post.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

the thing I hate about badminton

Cheats !!

However luckily there aren't many

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not here to start a debate here, and myself is nowhere near an elite. However, I still do not see you answered any questions regarding my post #1 and partially #2

1. If you are the elite, what you want to do? Play the game (but you will be blamed for being bored, so you have to lie or act?, or dont not even play (then you will be blamed for being rude). Seriously, tell me what you will do. And please, I do not believe everyone has (or can be) "Mr. Nice guy" every single time.

2. Good for you, you do not have to pay a lot to play. However, is that mean the elites should come and baby sitting everyone? They come to have fun, but not to make everyone else smile at the same time. You said it's tough for them, as the club open for all levels, but ask yourself the same question, "it's tough for you, as you played with the wrong group". Especially for the 2nd game.

3. To join a club is to make friends. For whatever reason you do not feel comfortable with certain others, stay away. There's no point to "try to be part of it", then "feel getting hurt" afterward.

4. Seriously, I think you take the comments way too seriously. I think they are mostly just joking. If they really do not like the game, I am sure they can simply play others, but they are nice enough to come back and invite you again.

9. zard.

zard. Regular Member

i enjoy badminton alot...the only complain is the shuttle cock...it breaks so fast:crying:

10. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

If i were an elite, then i would simply be polite and play the game - there's no cost to being polite. Afterwards i could play people more of my level. My friend started playing badminton in february after much persuading by me. She liked the sport, and continued going. Seeing as i was 6 months ahead of her in experience, i had to be patient when playing with her every lesson. But now it's may, she is coming along to be a fine player and is catching me up! :) If i showed my boredom back then, she probably wouldn't be playing now and enjoying the sport i love talking about. So personally, i think it's important to be polite and patient, but unfortuanetly not everyone is like that, as you stated.

I'm not asking for the elites to babysit the beginners and always help them, but only to be polite. You say that the elites go there for fun which yes, they do, but then how is it fun to make narky comments at an inexperienced player? They should just accept that not everyone is good as they are. Yes, i have learnt from the mistake i made of agreeing for a second game, and i'll heed that advice :)

You have made a point there about them being nice enough to invite me for a second game now, so i've let go of the comments they made to me. Two/three individuals will not put me off going back to that club, because generally it is good there :) Next time they ask me for a game i'll politely decline.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Enjoy the game, enjoy the time spent with ppl who you feel comfortable with. If there's a minor incident, let it go, and look at it from the positive perspective. We go there to have fun, not to be pissed off. There are always great ppl, and always have some jerks. So, have fun, keep smiling, and happy smashing. :p

12. pyrox

pyrox Regular Member

People who laughs at you when you say that you play badminton (girly sport etc).
    It's like racism (ignorance + stupidity) and it kinda hurts especially from friends.
    There's nothing wrong with ppl buying best stuffs. It's better to spend money in sportgears than drugs and alcoohol. I have an MP99 and arcsaber 10 and I dont play that good and I like these 2 rackets so what?

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I have thought of something however this is more sad

People who betray you and let you down

14. pyrox

pyrox Regular Member

betray? You mean like when playing men double, your partner changes side and play 3vs1?

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

no what I mean is you prepare for a tournament for one month with a partner and then without warning even after all the forms have been handed in
    On the day of the tournament your partner turns around and says "look, I don't want to play with you anymore... I am playing with another guy" on the day of the tournament :crying:

#255 LD rules!, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  16. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Oh man, I hate that too. Seriously. -___-"

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am very serious
    I will never speak to them again I will refuse to play them in training only in tournaments
    Actually I felt that I wanted to quit badminton for a few months I was that upset:crying::crying:
    I still may take a break as I am quite upset :crying:

18. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    How big of a tournament was this that caused you such an outrage?

19. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    BTW how well did you do in this "Derek Sim" competition?

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

This was the derek sim tournament I played poorly and didn't play armortec 14 like I wanted too I don't really know but I didn't play well in singles
    I think I may quit I don't have the motivation after yesterday