Categories by Countries Not Good Idea

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by narnia, Dec 20, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Talking restructuring our forums at BadmitonCentral

Sorry, I thought we were talking more on the 'restructuring' of our forums at BadmitonCentral. :eek:

#21 chris-ccc, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Sorry I was talking about the specific category.

And the restructuring is sometimes risky; it should get some sense and principles, not just making it look clean and nicer.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I thought that this was a really good idea to categorize by nations as it is much more organized and much easier to search for the news and pictures of professional players. For example, before, I would have had to search for a topic from the entire Professional Player forum but now, I just need to search within that sub-forum. This makes searching much more efficient and more likely for me to find what I want.

4. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Ok, but in terms of "search", you can use "search" funcionality.

Otherwise, all I suggest is to display a few number of the latest threads for each country category at a single sight like Headline news in tabloids. :)

5. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    When I mean search, I mean using the search function...

Before, we had to search the entire forum often picking threads and posts that were irrelevant. However, now that they have been divided up into nations. Using the search function just within the sub-forum will yield better results and more likely to find what one is looking for.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- What do you mean by "BC sticking guys not ordinary users"??..
    - I kinda like the idea of having some kind of a poll or experimental period w/the new look Professional Players section. Just to see whether members like the new look or not.
    ..i just think, in your case, you just need to venture, travel, try, take a peek in other sections/sub-forums of this forum. There are more sub-forums than your just frequently visited Professional Players, Tournaments and Video Sharing sub-forums, ya know..:cool:
    So, what is/are your suggestion(s) of BC having "some sense and principles and not just making it look clean and nicer"??..:confused:

..waiting for limsy (akhem, who brought up this "sub-division" idea) to chime in on narnia's opinion..;)

#26 ctjcad, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the only thing i want to say is
    if bc remain the same format
    those weaker badminton country wont get much attention
    because,their thread is in like...page number 10?:rolleyes:
    the most popular thread in pro player thread i s the top 5 badminton country
    how many thread is for the top 5?
    and others is under shadow
    this is international forum
    so we should not made it become china-ina-mas-korea-denmark(included country supporter and fans suppoter)ONLY forum
    my intention is to help country like india,thailand and tpe to get more attention in bc
    thats why i request this change
    yes,my english is not good
    u might not get what i want to say
    but i believe kwun know the best for the forum:(

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I fully agree with you :D. I also prefer the old style and have said so in that corresponding thread = one shot see all, less dizzy, now must one layer, then next layer......
    I do use the search function the relevant sub forum ;)

#28 eaglehelang, Dec 21, 2009
  9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    there is not a NEED to post at 3 out of 5 country section for this:rolleyes:
    we WILL read ourself
    next time please dont post off topic post in pro player section
    thanks
    there is where bcer/viewer get info
    not to get into any discusion that not related to pro player:)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This thread is now moved from 'Professional Players' to 'Forum Feedback'

This thread is now moved from 'Professional Players' to 'Forum Feedback'.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I actually like the change. If I want to post something related to INA Badminton, I can just refer to the Sub-Section, instead of looking for the same threads but buried in the many pages under Professional Players :cool:

Similarly, if I am interested in players from other countries, I can simply refer to the respective sub-sections.

Well-done Mods :)

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

But anyway, im with narnia's side this time:)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi all,

that change was done due to a suggestion from a member, and most people seems to be ok with it.

i myself is 50/50 on it right now.

on one hand, it is nice to be organized and have separate division.

on the other hand, it is also a trap that getting too much division can have the ill effect of things getting too separated and difficult to browse. instead of clicking one link and see all the new threads, now we need to click on 6 links to browse.

maybe we will let the new scheme soak in for a couple more weeks, and have a poll to see which one members prefer. that should settle it.

and thanks all for the feedback. :)

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

A poll would be nice indeed ;). Have to say I don't like the change as well. Before I would enter the pro section and see the updated threads right away on page 1. Now you see a couple of subsections and below news of "irrelevant" countries. I certainly don't go looking for specific news about a specific player or country each time I enter that section. I probably only entered one of the subsections so far once ...
    Unsurprisingly as well the Denmark section is already falling behind in updates :p. If it weren't for the JR poll about a book we'll never see it wouldn't be moving at all.

#34 demolidor, Dec 21, 2009
  15. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Actually it's not burdensome for the computers to search into the entire posts.

16. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Yeah, limsy. Actually I thought there should be somehting like that behind the chnaged formation. In that aspect, I appreciate your idea and strongly support it.

So, moderators should find better formation to reflect your idea while not missing the good idea of "international melpot."

17. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Yes, from the writers' standpoint, it changed to more convenience. But the majority is "READERS" not posters. And I think BC should support for more internationalied way of sharing, not making the separation into the individual countries.

I suggested a complementary way of display

18. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Thanks, Admin for your all efforts for this sharing system.

Especially I like BC because here I can hear every badminton news from every country directly from the fellow badminton fans.

All other technical/functional categories can be sub-divided into many for the convenience. But I think the category of the Professional Players is very special from the international sense or perspective as I mentioned before. And it should be organized in favor of the "readers."

I hope BC can find a better way of display formation in the future.

Thanks. :)

#38 narnia, Dec 21, 2009
  19. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Hi christ. The BC "sticking" guys was just for kidding. :)

I understand what you mean. But I'd like to see the news of the world players, say, on a sinlge page like on the first page of offline tabloids.

I think the complementary dispaly would be better: on the top-level page, show 3-5 latest threads for each major country.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Where will it be posted??..

..will the poll be posted in a separate thread in the "Professional Players" section or would it be linked back to this thread (poll in this thread)?? or would it be announced all the way at the very top section under the "Badminton Central Announcements" section?? because (akhem) members like narnia would probably not be aware of this "Feedback" section, thus might miss the poll altogether..and if those members miss the poll's deadline, narnia and/or limsy would probably come back and mention that not all the members or not enough members put in enough votes..:(
    ..that'll show a bit more info BUT (there's a big BUT), one would still need to click into different sub-sections to read the news; imo, not much difference w/what's shown now..

#40 ctjcad, Dec 21, 2009