Was Chen Jin cheating?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by bogensaebel, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in fact, if you look at the WC2010 Taufik vs. CJ video, Taufik was doing exactly the same thing to the shuttle, at 4-7 just before Taufik served. he was also brushing the feathers.

2. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Oh my goodness, this thing is not over yet?

Chen Jin won, that's it!

On to the next tourney and observe carefully how the shuttles are CARESSed and see if there's a difference the way it CAROMs away from the strings. My guess is, no matter how much scrutiny there'll be, none will be conclusive, STILL (it'll go on for years...).

3. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Btw, if someone had been caught cheating (it could've been better; it's not of course!), this thread could've stopped from churning pages after pages of redundancies (like a dog chasing its tail) until it is locked for good.

4. pejantan

pejantan Regular Member

i think the issue not about brushing the shuttle, but look at how CJ hold the shuttle.....3 finger inside and the tumb outside the feather, he hold very tight...also can u imagine how big 3 finger of a big man like CJ hold tight the shuttle....maybe its affected the shuttle (according to TH claim)....i said maybe, cos nobody knows what is realy happened

#364 pejantan, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

in fact there was a twisting and crushing of the stems at the beginning but unfortunately WMV frame rates

are to low to capture it.Watch the DVD quality version and it is clear.

Anyway, it is history and of academic interest, at least when we play we know how to counter opponents.

I repeat CJ no longer does it.

As discussed it may or may not affect the shuttle, it is up to BWF to decide whether or not it is acceptable.

#365 Bbn, Aug 31, 2010
  6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

By the way i am not an anti China badminton follower. I tend to favour China players

along with some outstanding non-China players.

Its good that we brought all these up, then china players and all other players can know what is not acceptable

and avoid doing it in future if it is unfair,rules or no rules.

7. pejantan

pejantan Regular Member

yes, at the end of 2nd set, it look like CJ no longer hold the shuttle like before, especially when referee start to watch him tight....but we still know what happened

btw, IMHO as long as CJ not called by referee, or booked by the ref...he still not cheating, but maybe rather un-ethic if he really give some treatment on the shuttle...but still, nobody knows

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I agree.

A fair amount of education and awareness should be done. The uneducated can not be persecuted for their innocent follies (fulfilling basic needs). The same can not be said about the highly educated or world level players

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Pls watch the video title, it is about the semis of 2009 World championships, not the present one.

It is history ,tracing the root cause of why some players are unhappy with others.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Pause at 0.15 seconds and see the shuttle fold up.

11. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student
    It's unfortunate you have to blow your top and denounce a certain ethnic group on something you really weren't sure about it. Hope that next time you would think through the situation before you hurt yourself.

#371 Isometric_kid, Aug 31, 2010
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    NICE CATCH!!

I missed it initially.:)

I've seen that movement to a shuttle before when I was young playing against some other players. For a new and nearly new shuttle, I don't think it makes a difference to the flight. In fact, I myself might do that to a shuttle without thinking.

If I see an opponent doing that now, I wouldn't give it a second thought but it did upset me when I was young.

13. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Was CJ cheating or was it just another TH tactical misdemeanor?

It all depends on what type of a spectator one is.

To the fanatic one, the debate can go on forever. To the neutral who love the sport as it is without favoritism and prejudice, whatever happens on and off court; be it the doings (wrongful or righteous) of the people (players, officials and spectators alike) or the things involving those basic necessities (in this case the shuttlecock) is part and parcel of the game. It is just another part of the spectacle.

By coincidence, since all this fuss has something to do with the hand, let us take the great Diego Maradona as an example.

Hand of God.jpg

There were ample proofs, so what? The majority of football lovers still consider him the greatest player of his time rather than the greatest cheat of all time. His dazzling skills that had thrilled millions overshadowed that notorious “Hand of God” moment which was just another piece of “his-story”.

It is history. Let us relish every moment of it. Winner or looser, they are the pros who gave us those spectacular display of skillful and crafty moments to savour. We should be appreciative rather than critical.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    :) One should have a list of possibilities and not have automatic assumptions. Let's assume the theory stands. Can you predict what would happen afterwards?

Perhaps the way CJ holds the shuttle annoys TH a lot intrinsically. To be honest, if I had an opponent behaving like TH, I would smile to myself inside and carry on annoying him!! I might smile or even wink to my coach (like in the World Cup 2006). BUT, would it be cheating and how can one predict any controversy afterwards?

I am sure in your life you have made some innocuous actions/decisions at one time and then later have seen it blown out of unpredictable proportions. (think of being married..:()

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

That just about sums up the whole thread. Traditionally great players dont give a damn about shuttles,racquets wind conditions etc etc they just adjust to it. It all reflects on the character and mentality of players when things are not going their way and beyond their control.I think I may have stayed too long in where I am today and losing touch with traditional values.
    Just as a matter of academic interest can crushing a shuttle affect the pin-point accuracy of net dribbles?
    It is important because accurate net play may be affected by how good condition the shuttle is. Is it harder to make accurate net dribbles with new or weathered shuttles? Just brought it up as a matter of intereset,i know where this question should belong.

16. restlessHK

restlessHK Regular Member

University Professor
    Totally agree. The start of this clip shows that Taufik hit the shuttle late, which probably have damaged the feather a bit. So CJ's action was totally understandable.

As to this debate, I just want to say, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

IMHO, Taufik was just annoyed by these little things. Checked his games in the past several years, he was not exactly the most patient and tolerant with his opponents.

Taufik was a great player and is still one of the top. He has many great qualities and incredible skills. But respecting lesser opponents (in his mind, of course) is not one of his virtues.

17. restlessHK

restlessHK Regular Member

University Professor
    Why imagine? It's so easy to test it.

I just tried to hold the shuttle with two or three fingers. You can try and feel the difference, if any, yourself.

18. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student
    Taufik's coach Muldoyo sat closer to the court than kming, plus I'm very sure that Muldoyo knows more about shuttle manipulation than kming. Muldoyo yelled to Taufik to check the shuttlecock from chen jin. Umpire verdict is.....(drumroll)...No tampering, nadda, zippo. Therefore, if Muldoyo was wrong, what make kming's observation has any validity???

So, when chen jin sat down with LYB for 10-15 mins. Why is this occurrence is so amazing?

19. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

that would make the shuttle faster... not slower tho

whoever plays with feathers know that little amount of feather bending wouldnt do much to a shuttle speed cept maybe damaging its flight... which i dont see how that benefits CJ

20. kming

kming Regular Member

Computer
    I found it funny because Chen jin became World Champion 1 hour earlier and LYB was still giving him advice fo bout 15 minutes like if Chen jin had lost a match or had made some serious error. The explanation was very intense and Chen jin looks like a kid who was given reprimands. It was amazing for me to see a sort of "chinese sens of perfection" if you understand what i mean. It was just an anecdote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.