weight training + arm exercise

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by maxxcavalera, Nov 10, 2011.

1. maxxcavalera

maxxcavalera Regular Member

Customer Service Assistant
    Lately i just bought a set of dumbells,i use them 3 times a week and in between these 3 days i add some push-ups+skipping,need some opinion guys...

2. manutd92

manutd92 Regular Member

student
    how many reps did u do?i do it myself.and it gives good results for me.

3. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

it's a proven fact that doing bicep/tricep curls will decrease your explosiveness
    if you need more strength you should focus more on your shoulders, lats, and forearms

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

"it's a proven fact that doing bicep/tricep curls will decrease your explosiveness"
    Rubbish.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    For me, the best weight training have been with light weights but more reps. Also skipping is excellent leg strength/stamina.

6. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

let me clarify what i mean:
    if you do bicep curls as most people do at the gym (to increase the muscle mass and get big arms - using heavy weights and low-medium amounts of reps)
    you will decrease your explosiveness

and even when you do focus on explosive movements, it's generally not as good as doing other exercises because bicep curls are isolation exercises
    doing exercises that involve compound movements will benefit you much more than isolation

7. mattc2

mattc2 Regular Member

watch some videos, google, youtube.

i bought some books long time ago, from this site, where they cover all badminton exercises, fitness and even nutrition. tried some of them and most are fairly decent.

http://www.badmintontrainingtips.com

8. peterpatrick18

peterpatrick18 New Member

Studying
    it is true its harder to do a really fast smash with your bicep/tricep really big and lets be honest you'll get heavier which you don't need in badminton, because you want to be quick. If you want to show your muscles make sure you eat no saturate/trans fats which you find in regular milk, meat... eat chicken it has less fat. eat vegatables, cook with vegetable/fruit oils, eat brown rice, eat more vegetables and fruits, especially if you want to snack to fill your stomach besides your principal meals, eat them.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Rotator cuff with dumbells will prevent injury and help your smash.

10. ___JVM

___JVM Regular Member

@ Texaco
  11. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    tricep extentions are the wrong sort of movement. even if you wanted to do triceps, this exercise is for strength and size. for explosiveness you want to do like you said - plyometrics.something like a close hand jumping pressup where the triceps are worked quickly for a very short time.

calf power
    skipping (want power not strength, dont do weighted calf raises)

waist rotation
    twists with long weighted rod across shoulders (want power not strength, dont do on machine with weights)

shoulder rotation
    you need to do an arm wrestle type rotation movement. i recommend a rubber/elastic exercise band tied at head height behind you and to the side and do a 'head height, sideways arm wrestle' a bit like knocking on a door very fast and hard repeatedly. (want power not strength, dont do arm wrestle static strength. just the movement. but fast)

forearm rotation
    another is holding a kettle bell dangling down. then twist the bell one way then the other rapidly. (want power not strength, do not do slow twists with a a dumbell with all weight on the far end, use kettle bell even weight and do fast twists with change in direction)