The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree, but the fact the the commentators are so unprofessional, and for someone who might be watching who doesn't know the details that you do, might think that line judges of a tournament in a particular country will call shots in favor of the players in that country :(

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Assume there was really something not being done right in the process of turning off the AC, how the guy turning off the AC knew for sure that this will benefit LD? We all know that LCW is one of the fittest (if not the fittest) badminton player. (Maybe this guy hate LD and want to cook him instead... :D)

The actual effect on both players are the same, both will be affected by the hot temperature.

We could keep chase for the origin and responsibility whoever turning off the AC and punish him, yet effectively there was no unfairness to both players on court. If any, it is unfair to both players, both suffers.

I am not a big fan of LYB, but sometimes you really have to admire his leadership in the way that whenever he fails (like UC loss to Korea, and even 2 golds in this WC that is fewer that his expected min 3 golds), he seldom blame on others but himself and his own team and think of how to improve his team and players, unlike the BAM coaches and officials, who just always blame on others for any failures and protecting themselves by not doing or changing any improvement on themselves.

I don't mind the above being disagreed, as at the end I don't mind Malaysis team continues the failure due to their insisting to sleep comfortably on their blame-others mind-set forever.

#242 Jonc108, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    shooting into ur own foot?
    how did ld fans said when ld lost?
    generous? not interested? not important?bla bla bla?:rolleyes:

if u dunno,i not a fans of lcw nor ld.:D

4. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

did you two look at the bigger pictures before commenting??
    when did Tontowi/Liliyana opponent, Xu Chen/Ma Jin played??
    same session, just 2-3 hours apart...
    while Lin Dan played at the afternoon session, probably 6-7 hours apart
    in simple explainations, Tontowi/Liliyana rest time might be almost the same with Xu Chen/Ma Jin, while as for LD, he might already called it a day while LCW still fighting with DuPY...

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

For a fun game shall we list all the excuses players have made when they have lost an unexpected match?
    LD
    for LD losing to CHJ: He was out of fitness for East Asian games
    Losing to PSH in WC2010: he lost cos Taufik bet LCW already and CJ has a decent H2H against players other than LCW.

LCW
    Losing to CL in India GPG: delhi belly....
    Losing to Sony Dwi Kuncoro in World champs KL: Too much pressure from BAM
    Losing Thomas Cup match in malaysia to LD: too much pressure because he never loses in Malaysia to LD.

etc :D

6. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    we should all stop speculating this air-con issue.
    According to sina news http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-11/20096718708.shtml (this news was even published before the end of ws final, pls check the timing), the air-con was off since semi-final due to complaints of wind drift.
    loser find excuse, winner find a way.
    LZW did not complain much, he will be a world champion one day, i believe.

7. sen

sen Regular Member

I believe that the cramps is due more to the stress and the pressure burdened by LCW. Of course the hot condition make it worse but let's see it this way, LCW is pressured to win this because he was runner up too many times in both WC and Olympic while LD, after away from badminton for a long time, if he lost, many will just blame his lack of competition.

But the AC is one issue that BWF should sort it out next time. It is bad not just for the players but to everyone in the stadium

8. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    for badminton players, how many of us play on a air-coned court? Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia. as far as i know, in singapore, most players (unprofessional) play in non-airconed condition, and no issue.

9. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Playing in an empty court with no AC is not the same as playing with no AC in a court filled with 8,000 people.

10. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    true enough, every cent count.

11. ahchu5

ahchu5 Regular Member

engineer
    how can u compare non pro with pro??? just wonder u went to watch live b4??

12. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    yes, i did watch live, many times.
    if you compare pro with non-pro, the only thing for sure is: pro's physical condition is much better in all aspects.

13. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

And what about LD's late match against PG at the 2011 WC? Did you see LD complaining?

No, LD just went on to beat LCW despite LD having to play late at the 2011 WC.

14. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Because when LCW loses, it suddenly becomes a disadvantage for a Malaysian to play in hotter temperatures when it should be an advantage!

15. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I'm glad you brought this up sir!
    I guess different rules apply for different players...

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It s not about money. It s about oxygen supply. When there are 8000 other people breathing in oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide in an enclosed space, and there s no aircon, it can get dangerous. If the aircon were off from semifinal stage as claimed, some in the crowd would have collapsed. ( That s how some 80 healthy young men died when they were transported in an enclosed container in southern Thailand some years back.)
    As for the players, they won't be able to play their best. ( INA may not have won their gold) Did you play badminton when Singapore had the haze? I experimented and discovered I was struggling to breathe more than playing badminton.

17. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    when i talked about "every cent count", i did not mean money, i meant "calculative".
    i did play badminton on the last day of haze which was on a Saturday, when the haze condition became better (PSI was between 50-100), I felt the smoke, but i was okay. I heard all sports hall were closed when PSI if greater than 150, wondering where did you play?

18. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

secondary school halls were open, i played at one and it was an interesting experience! you could even see a light haze in the hall... and the breathlessness that followed :p

19. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

i get your point and you are right
    but I am replying based on Tontowi/Liliyana case
    since Xu Chen/Ma Jin played the same session, both doesn't gained
    much advantage from the time different...as for LCW/LD case, i won't call it
    fair or not, but certainly the one playing earlier get some advantage in term of rest time

20. randomuser

randomuser Regular Member

probably edited afterwards.
    if you were in the stadium you would not believe sina news.

i don't think the oxygen levels changed drastically since the stadium has such large volume. but turning off ac does increase humidity and temperature which can affect breathing

#260 randomuser, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013